Photo
- - - - -

Ashwagandha Dosage + Timing

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 03:33 PM

About ashwagandha and thyroid, one study "Changes in thyroid hormone concentrations after administration of ashwagandha root extract to adult male mice" (PMID 9811169). In mice at 1.4 g kg(-1) daily for 20 days,

Furthermore, ashwagandha root extract significantly reduced hepatic lipid peroxidation, whereas the activity of antioxidant enzymes such as superoxide dismutase and catalase were increased. These findings reveal that the ashwagandha root extract stimulates thyroidal activity and also enhances the antiperoxidation of hepatic tissue.

I don't know what value can be derived by using such a high dosage. Just the fact that it didn't kill the mice is positive. PMID 10619390 is by the same author but using female mice. Trying to get two studies out of one? ;)

In PMID 10816336, using both 0.7 g kg(-1)and 1.4 g kg(-1) in mice "along with equivalent doses of lead acetate":

We suggest that the ameliorating role of root extract of W. somnifera in the lead intoxicated mice could be the result of its antiperoxidative action.

Some of the more exciting findings feature regeneration of axons and dendrites, like PMID 15711595:

We investigated whether withanolide A (WL-A), isolated from the Indian herbal drug Ashwagandha (root of Withania somnifera), could regenerate neurites and reconstruct synapses in severely damaged neurons. We also investigated the effect of WL-A on memory-deficient mice showing neuronal atrophy and synaptic loss in the brain. Axons, dendrites, presynapses, and postsynapses were visualized by immunostaining for phosphorylated neurofilament-H (NF-H), microtubule-associated protein 2 (MAP2), synaptophysin, and postsynaptic density-95 (PSD-95), respectively. Treatment with A beta(25-35) (10 microM) induced axonal and dendritic atrophy, and pre- and postsynaptic loss in cultured rat cortical neurons. Subsequent treatment with WL-A (1 microM) induced significant regeneration of both axons and dendrites, in addition to the reconstruction of pre- and postsynapses in the neurons. WL-A (10 micromol kg(-1) day(-1), for 13 days, p.o.) recovered A beta(25-35)-induced memory deficit in mice. At that time, the decline of axons, dendrites, and synapses in the cerebral cortex and hippocampus was almost recovered. WL-A is therefore an important candidate for the therapeutic treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, as it is able to reconstruct neuronal networks.

Can anyone convert 10 micromol kg(-1) to mg kg(-1)?

Here's a study on human cell lines, "Neuritic regeneration and synaptic reconstruction induced by withanolide A.", PMID 12395110:

We previously reported [PMID 10884056] that the methanol extract of Ashwagandha (roots of Dunal) induced dendrite extension in a human neuroblastoma cell line. In this study, we found that six of the 18 compounds isolated from the methanol extract enhanced neurite outgrowth in human neuroblastoma SH-SY5Y cells. Double immunostaining was performed in rat cortical neurons using antibodies to phosphorylated NF-H as an axonal marker, and to MAP2 as a dendritic marker. In withanolide A-treated cells, the length of NF-H-positive processes was significantly increased compared with vehicle-treated cells, whereas, the length of MAP2-positive processes was increased by withanosides IV and VI. These results suggest that axons are predominantly extended by withanolide A, and dendrites by withanosides IV and VI.

Stephen

#32 rejwan

• 45 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Can you Ashwagandha users, can you check this thread?

http://www.imminst.o...showtopic=39644

Edited by re2weraqer235, 20 March 2010 - 07:29 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 klodde

• 26 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:16 PM

I would like to know what the doses were that woman took. And what is "(1.4 g kg(-1))"?

That should translate to 1.4 gram per kilo bodyweight. Mice has a much higher metabolism than humans so don't try this at home ;)

#34 Mafistas

• 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

I'm going to continue to experiment with it, I was not complaining it made me tired-ish, just making a statement. I have no symptoms of a over/underactive thyroid except for this, if gandha even in such a low dose it would qualify. I also have consumed many foods that would irritate a thyroid condition. Do you have a thyroid condition, syr_?

mitkat

(I'll assume you know about goitrogens.)

Why are you taking ashwagandha? (if it is personal, forget I asked)

Someone a few days ago mentioned that they took Ashwagandha with Rhodiola
and other herbs in a gaia product. Maybe you need a combo (I doubt it will help,
it's just a thought). Let me know if you want me to find the link.

-Stephen

I take Gaia Ashwagandha, it kind of seems to go with resveratrol and maca for stress reduction. When I get big project deadlines I look deathly from the elongated anxiety and crap sleep...and that is definitely a big no no for longevity. I like the ant-cancer part as well .. esp since I take cycloastrogenol.

#35 Justchill

• 315 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

I have the root powder from iHerb, how much should you take?

#36 sunny tewathia

• 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

Well Ashwagandha Dosage depends on for what purpose you are taking it.

1 teaspoon full in the morning and 1 teaspoon full in the evening is recommended in most the cases.

In fact, if you happen to go beyond the required amount, then you're entitled for a few effects of using Ashwagandha.

Edited by sunny tewathia, 02 February 2016 - 08:32 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#37 Justnaturally

• 5 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 December 2016 - 08:49 AM

Personally I have chosen to take ashwagandha from KSM66 because its a root extract only.

I have read that it is advised to take divided dose, as it is closer to the principles of the ancient Ayurveda.

For the dosage, I would say between 250mg to 500 mg per day but it depends if its the only herb being used in your supplement or if it contains other botanical.

A friend of mine, already using KSM for 5 months, advised me to take one in the morning and one in the evening.

For him it showed better results along the meal. 

What I felt after two weeks is an improvement in my quality of sleep. My partner found me more calm and less anxious. 

Thanks to ashwagandha I have become more energetic even if I'm not a morning person at all :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users