cholesterol

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

Does stress lower cholesterol levels?
Will supplementing with pregnenolone balance bad/good cholesterol levels? 

I recently came across this thread https://raypeatforum...arch-use.19436/

A person selling cholesterol  powder. Why do people supplement with cholesterol  when its so easy to get cholesterol  from foods? I know there is  bad and good cholesterol . does the body decide how much bad and good cholesterol  is made from the cholesterol  you supplement with?

Why do people supplement with cholesterol  when you can just take pregnenolone? Since cholesterol  converts to pregnenolone. Is there any benefit that cholesterol  has of its own?

#2 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:51 PM

People supplement with cholesterol because the stuff found in foods is oxidized.

There is no good or bad CHOLESTEROL. What you are thinking of are cholesterol TRANSPORTERS.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Cassandra

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:05 PM

I always thought it was the actual ratio of HDL cholesterol vs LDL. I never knew these were carriers.
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#4 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:06 PM

According to Fred Kummerow - the late 102-year-old emeritus professor of comparative biosciences at the University of Illinois, "cholesterol  is good for your heart -- unless that cholesterol is unnaturally oxidized by frying foods in reused oil, eating lots of polyunsaturated fats (PUFA), or smoking." An article in  ScienceDaily in 2013 explains his research  Link.  Fred wrote a book about it Amazon

From the ScienceDaily article about Fred's research (rearranged order to be short and to the point)

Sphingomyelin and calcium:

Arteries of the newborn human placenta contain about 10 percent sphingomyelin and 50 percent phosphatidylcholine.  [Membranes are largely made of phospholipids, a proportion of which is sphingomyelin]

Arteries of people who have had bypass operations have up to 40 percent sphingomyelin and about 27 percent phosphatidylcholine ... and blocked arteries have twice the sphingomyelin as unblocked arteries.

[In the presence of certain blood salts] sphingomyelin develops a negative charge that attracts positively charged calcium.
Human cells incubated with cardiac patient blood plasma increase their calcium uptake from the culture medium.

Oxidized cholesterol:
Bypass patients also have significantly more oxidized cholesterols (oxysterols) in their plasma and tissues than people without heart disease.

When a large amount of oxysterols is added to a cell culture, phosphatidylcholine is changed into sphingomyelin and the uptake of calcium is increased.

My commentary:
Sphingomyelin seems to contribute to arterial calcification - positively correlated with plaque formation but not the whole story.

Dietary oxidized cholesterol (oxysterols) are contained in most restaurant fried foods. Cholesterol also gets oxidized in the body. Oxidized cholesterol is likely positively correlated with oxidized LDL.

The liver makes VLDL which becomes LDL after dumping triglycerides into various hungry tissues.

I once believed the liver QC (quality control) process destroyed oxidized VLDL before releasing it, and by replacing dietary saturated fats with PUFA (easily oxidized polyunsaturated fats), we lower LDL by causing the liver to make more oxidized VLDL. I don't believe that's the whole story, but then, whatever is (in biochemistry).

Edited by RWhigham, 27 October 2017 - 06:05 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 09:28 PM

Cholesterol makes hormones and when I am eating a lot of eggs in my diet my skin looks very healthy and the skin is an organ. Apparently there are a lot of good things about cholesterol and people with high levels live longer than people with low levels though that could just be due to a greater intake of nutrients.

https://wellnessmama...terol-benefits/

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 19 December 2018 - 09:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cholesterol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users