MTHFR++ and COMT++

mthfr comt depersonalization detox

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 anhedonic56

• 3 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

Hi - I'm wondering if anyone here has MTHFR C677T++ and COMT V158M++, and if you're "treating" these mutations successfully with different B vitamins and other things? I've always known I was very bad at detoxing, and now I have proof after getting my 23andme results the other day. I'm also COMT H62H++ and MTRR A66G++. I was going to start off with folinic acid and hydroxo B12, see if they do anything.

My health issues:

I've always struggled with my weight, can't tolerate caffeine or alcohol, have to be careful with diet (I eat low-carb), and have soo much trouble with medications (am not on anything right now). I have depersonalization and have had it 24/7 for the last several years, though for some reason, sometimes I feel a bit better when I'm on my period (when I'm detoxing), like I'll have more energy, feel less anxious, head will be more "clear," and just, my entire body will seem to work better. I'm not sure if it's from dumping estrogen (which would improve thyroid function), and/or from detoxing something else like neurotransmitters (serotonin drops on your period) or heavy metals...could be many things. My depersonalization started when I tried prozac several years ago, and it always felt to me like I had been put on too high of a dose and my body wasn't able to detox the extra serotonin properly, or like it had permanently changed the way my brain metabolizes serotonin. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not - this is just how it feels.

The only times my depersonalization has completely lifted were 3 times last year while I was going through a (very very long) withdrawal from klonopin: each time I came out of the DP was on the first day of my period - I woke up on that first day and was completely back (world was 3D again, colors were bright, internal monologue had switched back on, could recognize my reflection, had access to the full range of emotions, could "feel" music again, etc).  I swear I could feel my entire brain lighting up. The rest of my body was also working better - it seemed like my metabolism had improved, I didn't have cravings for caffeine, my palms were sweaty (made me realize my skin is always super dry), muscles were stronger, etc. Then the next day I woke up and was gone again, or at least I was starting to drift back into the fog (and a day or two later I would be fully "dissociated" again). My DP certainly FEELS like a very physical problem, and seems related to detox - I just don't know how the hell to treat. 

Edited by anhedonic56, 05 December 2017 - 09:02 PM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 01:48 AM

For G-d's sakes, how many times must people be told this? These mutations are found almost universally and mean nothing for any issue you are having. B vitamins will do nothing. You are not "detoxing". Stop reading health guru blogs written by people with two brain cells.

When you take a gene test then do a real one and not one that tests SNPs only, and then not even close to all of SNPs to make matters worse.

Get your full genome sequenced (costs around 1k usd) and look for rare mutations or mutations in genes coding for whatever may be relevant to your issue.

• Ill informed x 2

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

These mutations are not universal at all, many people including myself do not have the MHTFR polymorphism.  I'm also heterozygous (A/G val/met) on COMT. You don't need a full sequencing to get a clear picture.

I've compared my SNP's to a number of friends and we're all really quite different actually. I am homozygous on both the relevant FOXO3 alleles (GG) but none of my friends whom I share my gene data with are.  None of these things are universal and if they were then 23 and Me wouldn't be gathering and storing all this data with information from surveying all their customers with countless questions. The lack of universality explains why there is so much variation with results in human clinical trials. I think that eventually everyone's genetic details will be stored in their medical files and used as a guide for prescription and diagnosis. Whenever we can get CRISPR/CAS9 working in humans we can start making these corrections.

To the OP:

If you've got the MHTFR mutation just take no more than 400mcg of methylfolate (not folic acid) once a day max, that's all you really need, even then you may get by with every other day to play it safe and save money.

If you've got homozygous G/G on COMT you'll want to avoid alcohol and other substances that can affect dopamine levels, G/G's are far more susceptible to substance dependency. Benzos are also something you should avoid.

Taking EGCG in the morning fasted state, and with food, lithium orotate 5mg and B6, you can at least create an optimal situation where more dopamine can be produced. Also eating broccoli sprouts and perhaps supplementing with sulforaphane (Broccomax) can help improve metabolism.  Do not drink often with lithium orotate as it can mess with its metabolism resulting in a potentially toxic increase in serum levels.

I don't know what you mean by "detox". Outside of liver enzyme activity (which you can boost with cruciferous vegetable consumption) and kidney function, there's no such thing as a "detox" you can do.

While this is just a blog post not any published article, it's helpful I think: https://www.naturals...mal-performance

Edited by Nate-2004, 08 January 2018 - 04:08 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#4 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

Really? What am I so ill informed about?

#5 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

What a load of nonsense. Ask any geneticist. Those mutations are EXTREMELY common in the human population and go back man thousands of years. 30 thousand years or something? They're so common that they have been extensively studied and have many geneticists trying to find an "evolutionary" explanation for them.

As for dopamine. None of us have low dopamine except in the most rare of situations. What makes us not live in mud huts and be content with a life of poverty and thee same old is the fact of us having an extreme motivation to constantly reach a higher level. This is primarily caused by higher catecholamine levels when compared to the African population.. at least in specific brain parts.

• Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

Just because they're "common" doesn't mean they're universal or non relevant to specific to conditions. Who cares if it's "common" or "uncommon"? So low dopamine is rare, there must be an explanation for people who do have lower dopamine levels... hmmm, could it be genetic? 

Different people have different levels of dopamine, serotonin and varying chemistry in general. Some people are predisposed to it. This is just basic knowledge. Some people are predisposed to one disease while others are predisposed to another. I don't know how you're denying any of this. There's no need to do a full sequencing to determine what we're predisposed to.

Edited by Nate-2004, 08 January 2018 - 04:43 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mthfr, comt, depersonalization, detox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users