Why is my abilify not working for my Mood Anymore?? Pls Help

abilify mental health anxiety ocd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 5000

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:34 PM

Hello, Ive been dealing with bad anxiety as a result of a form of OCD for a long time and it recently resulted in panic attacks as I could not get out of my head with just obsessions about my life going nowhere. The panic attacks are most likely a result of trying out so many medications this last year. Anyway, I recently was prescribed 5mg of abilify and it shot me into mania, I was feeling great, excited about life again, hyper focused but almost in a good way and it was actually a relieving feeling. However, I mentioned this to the doctor and she prescribed me 150mg of wellbutrin XL and I took that for a week and a half and it killed all good feeling I got from abilify. 

I now am off the wellbutrin for about 4 days and I am still feeling just really low and it almost feels like a lack of dopamine, even though I am still taking the abilify which should increase dopamine. I am feeling just not positive or excited about anything and I've been real tired and just sad and low and depressed and I'm wondering if there is any explanation chemically for how I'm feeling. Is it that the abilify wore off after taking it for about a month and a half? Is it that the wellbutrin was blocking the effects of the abilify and it's still clearing out of my system? Im sorry if this is not the right place for this I'm just dying for some type of explanation that can give me hope. 

I've been on over 25 different meds and supplements this last year as my racing intrusive thoughts and following anxiety and depression has just gotten worse and abilify was the only thing that really helped it and now it seems to have stopped and not started again. Im not sure what to do. 

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 07:35 PM

Abilify has a net anti-dopamine effect. Why would you take it with Welbutrin? Makes no sense to me especially when in hypomania/mania phase.

Are you sure you don't have bipolar?

Did you take Lithium.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 5000

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:08 PM

Abilify has a net anti-dopamine effect. Why would you take it with Welbutrin? Makes no sense to me especially when in hypomania/mania phase.
Are you sure you don't have bipolar?
Did you take Lithium.

#4 5000

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:11 PM

Thanks for responding. I didn’t agree about Wellbutrin either however I told the p doc that I was having trouble focusing on the abilify and she said Wellbutrin could help with that. I’ve never had any bipolar symptoms necessarily before the abilify but abilify definitely Brought on a manic state and now the exact opposite so I’m not sure if I just stop with the abilify and I’m normal again and it’s all cause of the Med or am I going to go back to that initial manic phase or will it even out? What do you mean by net anti dopamine effect ?

#5 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:21 PM

it works both ways on dopamine receptors, but antipsychotics are traditionally anti-dopamine:

Aripiprazole acts by modulating neurotransmission overactivity on the dopaminergic mesolimbic pathway, which is thought to be the cause of positive schizophrenia symptoms.[64] Due to its agonist activity on D2 receptors, aripiprazole may also increase dopaminergic activity to optimal levels in the mesocortical pathways where it is reduced.[64]

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Aripiprazole

Edited by jack black, 07 December 2017 - 08:33 PM.

#6 5000

• Topic Starter
  • 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:51 PM

it works both ways on dopamine receptors, but antipsychotics are traditionally anti-dopamine:

Aripiprazole acts by modulating neurotransmission overactivity on the dopaminergic mesolimbic pathway, which is thought to be the cause of positive schizophrenia symptoms.[64] Due to its agonist activity on D2 receptors, aripiprazole may also increase dopaminergic activity to optimal levels in the mesocortical pathways where it is reduced.[64]

https://en.wikipedia...ki/Aripiprazole

okay so I guess I was low on dopamine and then I was high is that why it is doing this? will it adjust to normal you think? Because the low absolutely sucks with me and is dragging me back into the darkness of my mind. Or should I just get off. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#7 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

don't know.

see your doc and get yourself examined for bipolar ASAP (today would be nice).

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: abilify, mental health, anxiety, ocd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users