Post hepatic neuropathy - L theanine, taurine and Gaba

myelination theanine gaba neurotransmitter

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 soulfiremage

• 104 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

Hi guys

I need a little help for my partner who is suffering mild to moderate phn. He is on 15mg amatryptaline - 10 at night 5 in the morning.

Sensitivity is variable and irritating. I realised the issue may well be myelin damage thanks to herpes zoster.

My theory is some increase in gaba levels might allow some minor relief - I know it self regulates but it was an idea.

Further research showed some positive possibilities for encouraging remylination in MS with taurine and vitamin D. Nothing miraculous just some improvement.

Anything that may allow for some calming of the annoying sensations that do come and go quite wildly would be helpful.

I believe l theanine, vitamin D and possibly taurine supplementation will shorten the recovery time a little as well as calm the sensations.

Not expecting miracles but can anyone advise, am I on the right lines?

We know about gabapentin and not been prescribed this yet but it'd be good to avoid having to go onto a different drug if supplementation would help. It wouldn't take a lot of improvement to avoid this need to be honest.

Thanks for any assistance!

#2 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 08:48 PM

dr. weil provides a good list of recommendations: https://www.drweil.c...iple-sclerosis/

you might even try ginkgo and ginseng, counter-intuitively, for their GABA antagonist properties which would balance out GABA over the course of weeks.. via auto-receptor modulation

in addition to that i recommend some potent anti-oxidants on a daily basis.. ginger, turmeric, black beans, blueberries.  doesn't have to be those four, just pick some strong ones.

oxidation is huge in MS. 

glutamate plays a role too but not strictly neurologic.  it's believed that anti-bodies also actually develop an aggressive response to excess glutamate in these individuals.  as well as disrupting homeostasis, these antibodies attack signaling compounds similar to glutamate and just really throw things off.  that's the main reason, i assume, dr. weil recommends a low protein diet.

by this same logic... anything that dials down inflammation and the immune response: button mushrooms, flax/fish oil, luteolin, apigenin, quercetin, genistein, (-)-epigallocatechin gallate, and anthocyanidin

button mushrooms are pretty magical in that they seem to lower levels of inflammation while accelerating recovery from the cold and flu, it literally gives you a boost where you need it and a damper where you need that

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: myelination theanine, gaba, neurotransmitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users