- - - - -

Took 5mg escitalopram for 3 days, lingering visual/panic

anxiety ssri lexapro escitalopram

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nekkodesu

• 4 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 05:00 PM

I went to my doctor with a case of anxiety, and he prescribed me 5mg escitalopram to take daily.
I took my first pill at 5pm, and waited. The nausea was crippling, and I woke up an hour after I fell asleep, teeth grinding and rushing.
The second day, I was sleepy beyond belief and could barely think, but I took my pill again in the evening. There was a lot of visual snow, but everything I focussed on seemed more sharp than before.
The third day was the same, but I took the pill anyway. Everything seemed trippy and I was disorientated and nauseated. It was rushing over me intrusively, and I knew I couldn’t keep taking the pills. I called my doctor and told him what I was experiencing, and he told me to stop taking the pills right away.
It is now 5 days since I took my last pill, and every day since I stopped taking the pill, my vision has been different. Colours are too bright, and everything feels “off” somehow. This strange “off” feeling is leading to me feeling motion sick, and my head feels like there is tingling and pressure in it. I frequently find myself crying, and feeling disorientated. When I look at things, it makes me panic due to something feeling wrong or off, so I’m spending a great proportion of my time panicking.
I’ve been to see my doctor today and he ordered a blood test (which I have gone through with) and said it could be migraines, and to drink more water.
I’m feeling very lost and was wondering what people’s thoughts are. I’m happy to answer any questions. Really just worried that these symptoms are permanent.

Edited by nekkodesu, 20 December 2017 - 05:02 PM.

#2 nekkodesu

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 January 2018 - 10:13 PM

So it’s a couple of weeks later and I’m still suffering from visual disturbances and panic.
Everything seems slightly off, and looks sharper than usual. Things don’t look the wrong size, but they *feel* the wrong size, and it’s causing me to panic. It seems to come in waves, I’ll think it’s getting better and then it’s so bad that I’m just filled with a feeling of guttural, physical dread.
I’d really appreciate anyone’s input, as I don’t feel like I can go on like this and be able to keep my job. I was already suffering from anxiety and depression, and through taking a pill I hoped would help, I seem to have completely messed myself up.
Feeling pretty desperate, and hope that someone can help.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 johnnyB

• 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 05:18 AM

So it’s a couple of weeks later and I’m still suffering from visual disturbances and panic.
Everything seems slightly off, and looks sharper than usual. Things don’t look the wrong size, but they *feel* the wrong size, and it’s causing me to panic. It seems to come in waves, I’ll think it’s getting better and then it’s so bad that I’m just filled with a feeling of guttural, physical dread.
I’d really appreciate anyone’s input, as I don’t feel like I can go on like this and be able to keep my job. I was already suffering from anxiety and depression, and through taking a pill I hoped would help, I seem to have completely messed myself up.
Feeling pretty desperate, and hope that someone can help.

Take it easy. You are (serotonin) intoxicated and need time to recover.

There is a Ted talk by Elizabeth Kenny on the side effects of these medicaments.

The talk is "On a scale of 1-10, how crazy are you?"

Hope you get better.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#4 nekkodesu

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:11 PM

Thank you for your reassuring words :) That video is top notch, I really enjoyed her retelling of her story, although I was terrified for her as well.

Things are slowly improving. I’m not better yet, but there are good days now. There weren’t before. Just trying to be patient with myself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: anxiety, ssri, lexapro, escitalopram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users