Nasal Insulin for Alzheimer's

alzeheimers inhaled insulin nasal insulin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:46 AM

My father is quite far down the Alzheimer's path now. 

There are several clinical trials on nasal inhaled insulin as a treatment for Alzheimer's with some encouraging initial results. So very recently I made up some insulin in a nasal spray dispenser for him,  and it appears to be having some positive effects.

I'm limited in my selection of insulin for this project to what can be obtained in the U.S. without prescription.  I'm been using Novolin R in a spray bottle that dispenses 0.1ml sprays, yielding 10 units per spray.

Two issues:

1.) The sprays seem to burn his nose temporarily.  I'm guessing this is due to the preservatives used for this insulin which is of course meant for subQ injection rather than inhalation.  Does anyone know if there are other insulins that might have different, less irritating preservatives?

2.) Novolin R is a pretty fast acting insulin.  Would Novolin N be a better choice? Or perhaps one of the 70/30 insulins?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 26 December 2017 - 02:28 AM.

• Informative x 1

#2 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 December 2017 - 06:10 AM

It's not inhaled. It's supposed to go to CNS. Other than that I have no advice.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Daniel Cooper

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:07 PM

Yes, if you'll notice I said "nasal inhaled" in the body of the post.  Wish I could edit the thread title but unfortunately I can not.

This insulin is going to the brain via nasal insufflation.

#4 Mr. Olive Oil

• 16 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:22 AM

There was a post somewhere that stated that the movable nozzle sprayer on amazon was better at reducing burning because the mist was finer.

Link:

https://www.amazon.c...e5685984b3b4761

Also a comment on one of Lostfalco's blogs:

My husband was on Humulin R for early AD but switched to Novolin because of the price. He’s been using the Novolin less than a week and it’s causing painful stinging that lasts quite a while. The Huumulin stung briefly then quickly abated. I’m assuming it’s because of the additional m-cresol, though it is a small amount. Considering trying the Humulog that Dr. Kraft is also using. It has less m-cresol but does have phenol. We’re seeing slow but noticeably obvious results after 6 months. Considering adding LLLT as well.

#5 Daniel Cooper

• Topic Starter
  • Member, Moderator
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the info.  The sprayer I'm using seems to make a very fine mist, but I'll give those a try.

It is almost certainly the m-cresol and phenol that is the issue.  Because my father's cognition is now very low, it is difficult to explain to him that the burning is temporary and will pass.  We're having issues getting him to accept using the spray.

I wish I knew if there was an OTC insulin that had less (or different) preservatives.

I do believe that I see a positive effect from him using the nasal insulin, within the first 10 minutes or so.

Unfortunately our FDA is an impediment and is certainly not acting in the best interest of these patients with a very poor quality of life and a terminal prognosis.  I certainly should be able to obtain a long acting insulin like levemir with a more appropriate preservative in a nasal format, but my government won't allow it.

#6 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:13 PM

Hmm... have you considered mixing the insulin with a mild painkiller of some kind? Or perhaps prepping his nose prior to this with a numbing agent? That seems like a pretty good choice, actually.

Is it possible to get liquid lidocaine/xylocaine and then put it in a nasal mist-dispenser? Prep with that, let it work for about 10-30 minutes, then apply insulin.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Lidocaine

Got the idea from when I had these strange blisters on my tongue and pouch along with a terrible fever, after a micro-burnout crash (which took weeks to recuperate from) - I had to use this, in order to eat! Should be useful for other mucous membranes that need numbing.

EDIT WHILE WRITING...

God-damn.. I just realized... of course this local anaestethic is then going to end up straight in his brain if he insufflates it! That might be a big problem... hmm... Anybody knows what happens when one insufflates Lidocaine? Hmm... apparently it's ok to inhale though, used to prevent coughing - which implies that it might not be too much of an issue, granted that you go with a low dose, possibly testing this on YOURSELF first. Since the two of you are genetically similar in many ways, you make for the perfect test-subject.

#7 Mr. Olive Oil

• 16 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:47 AM

Thanks for the info.  The sprayer I'm using seems to make a very fine mist, but I'll give those a try.

It is almost certainly the m-cresol and phenol that is the issue.  Because my father's cognition is now very low, it is difficult to explain to him that the burning is temporary and will pass.  We're having issues getting him to accept using the spray.

I wish I knew if there was an OTC insulin that had less (or different) preservatives.

I do believe that I see a positive effect from him using the nasal insulin, within the first 10 minutes or so.

Unfortunately our FDA is an impediment and is certainly not acting in the best interest of these patients with a very poor quality of life and a terminal prognosis.  I certainly should be able to obtain a long acting insulin like levemir with a more appropriate preservative in a nasal format, but my government won't allow it.

I agree about the FDA and government. Imagine the hypocrisy behind the legal ability to purchase cigarettes and flavored ethanol.

I do recall reading that there were insulins with different preservatives. The m-cresol apparently had some side effects in animal studies (I need to find out which studies these are and what the side effects were).

Hmm... have you considered mixing the insulin with a mild painkiller of some kind? Or perhaps prepping his nose prior to this with a numbing agent? That seems like a pretty good choice, actually.

Is it possible to get liquid lidocaine/xylocaine and then put it in a nasal mist-dispenser? Prep with that, let it work for about 10-30 minutes, then apply insulin.

https://en.wikipedia.../wiki/Lidocaine

Got the idea from when I had these strange blisters on my tongue and pouch along with a terrible fever, after a micro-burnout crash (which took weeks to recuperate from) - I had to use this, in order to eat! Should be useful for other mucous membranes that need numbing.

EDIT WHILE WRITING...

God-damn.. I just realized... of course this local anaestethic is then going to end up straight in his brain if he insufflates it! That might be a big problem... hmm... Anybody knows what happens when one insufflates Lidocaine? Hmm... apparently it's ok to inhale though, used to prevent coughing - which implies that it might not be too much of an issue, granted that you go with a low dose, possibly testing this on YOURSELF first. Since the two of you are genetically similar in many ways, you make for the perfect test-subject.

I do take a nasal emolient called Ponaris (I think it was developed by NASA). It has pine oil, cajeput, eucalpytus and a small amount of iodine.
Pretty much the most effective nasal sanitizer/anti-allergy I have tried.
The oil is very soothing and coats the nose (reduces rhinitis, infections, post nasal drip etc) reducing inflammation/irritation.

But any oil like coating may block the water soluble insulin from reaching the olfactory nerves (I am unsure on this).

I do worry about bypassing the blood brain barrier through the olfactory nerves/bulb with m-cresol, lidocaine and other ingredients.

Edited by highlightfocus, 29 December 2017 - 07:48 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 RYAN474

• 45 posts

Posted 31 December 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'm sure you've come across it but an additional resource to consider would be the book "The End of Alzheimers" by Dale Bredesen.  Has a protocol for treatment, parts or all of which could be implemented with your father (with your help and compliance from others supporting him). 

• Agree x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users