The Embryonic Gene-Switch That Will Change the World

regeneration rejuvenation cox7a1

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Pollyanna

• 138 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:27 AM

Hi Longecity,

I'm a regular reader of Patrick Cox's Tech Digest, which is a weekly newsletter devoted to regenerative medicine and ageing research, and is well worth checking out as he gets quite a bit of insider knowledge. Anyway, the latest instalment caught my eye and if what it says is true, could be revolutionary. I don't have permission to reproduce the entire post, so I have only included the opening few paragraphs below. I suggest you follow the link to the original post underneath and read the entire post. Most enlightening. :happy:

Chris

BY PATRICK COX

JANUARY 8, 2018

Dear Reader,

Last week, the world got the first peer-reviewed look at what I believe is the future of medicine. Specifically, I’m talking about the discovery that the COX7A1 gene is a switch that controls embryonic healing processes.

The genes that built you from a few undifferentiated embryonic cells are still in your genome. These “developmental” genes are largely dormant, but they’re still there.

In the last year, about half a dozen institutions have announced breakthroughs in the reactivation of these genes. However, not much has been revealed about what’s happening on the genomic level.

That’s why the publication of a paper in the respected journal Oncotarget is historic. The article is titled, “Use of deep neural network ensembles to identify embryonic-fetal transition markers: repression of COX7A1 in embryonic and cancer cells.

The paper presents the culmination of research I’ve been writing about for several years. Having pioneered work on the immortalizing enzyme telomerase and pluripotent stem cell medicine, Michael West, CEO of both BioTime and its subsidiary, AgeX Therapeutics, has taken regenerative medicine to the next level.  

http://www.mauldinec...hange-the-world

• like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#2 Chris Pollyanna

• Topic Starter
  • 138 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

& here is the accompanying YouTube video:

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:49 PM

"Having pioneered work on the immortalizing enzyme telomerase..."

This right here renders everything said as pure garbage. There are plenty of cells that do not suffer replicative senescence due to telomere shortening and they VERY FAR away from being anything even remotely close to "immortal". Let's see.... Glycation, lipofuscion, mitochondrial dysfunction, issues with leaky calcium channels, issues with cell membranes, issues with extreme long lived proteins. And on and on! How very good for them that they have solved all these issues by telomere extension and have made immortal cells.

Edited by Rocket, 16 January 2018 - 11:50 PM.

• Disagree x 3
  • Agree x 2
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1

#4 Chris Pollyanna

• Topic Starter
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

@ Rocket

It seems a bit harsh to discount the information provided on a single sentence referencing what Michael West was working on in the 1990s. Had you read any further or watched the accompanying video, you would have discovered that the latest research has nothing to do with telomerase, and far from being "pure garbage", has led to a certain Aubrey de Grey becoming their VP of New Technology Discovery. Unless of course you consider Aubrey's ideas and that of the SENS Research Foundation to be garbage as well...    ;)

http://www.agexinc.c...aubrey-de-grey/

Edited by Chris Pollyanna, 19 January 2018 - 12:15 AM.

• Good Point x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#5 Avatar of Horus

• 241 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:27 AM

"Having pioneered work on the immortalizing enzyme telomerase..."

This right here renders everything said as pure garbage. There are plenty of cells that do not suffer replicative senescence due to telomere shortening and they VERY FAR away from being anything even remotely close to "immortal". Let's see.... Glycation, lipofuscion, mitochondrial dysfunction, issues with leaky calcium channels, issues with cell membranes, issues with extreme long lived proteins. And on and on! How very good for them that they have solved all these issues by telomere extension and have made immortal cells.

I guess that telomerase immortality thing refers to the stem cells and cell lines, where those issues you mentioned aren't considered to be present.

• Good Point x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: regeneration, rejuvenation, cox7a1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users