mechanisms responsible for soothing effects of comfort foods

comfort foods

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

I tried all kinds of supplements and meds and nothing is as comforting as a good sandwich. effects are pretty instant too, so it's not the story of sugars/insulin/tryptophan/5HT as we all know about. unfortunately, that leads to weight gain really fast.

this is not just psychological and experiments prove it: http://www.dailymail...atty-foods.html

does anyone know or speculate what connection between stomach and brain could it be?

thanks!

Edited by jack black, 23 January 2018 - 04:22 AM.

#2 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2018 - 01:52 PM

Opioids.

Probably.

Opioids work fast, and have an incredibly robust pleasure-response. Multiple types of foods contain substances with chemical similarities to Opioids. Wheat and Casein are two of the classics, they either contain precursors or cause the release of morphine-like peptides in the body.

That's one of the hypothesis regarding AUTISM isn't it? That it's a dysfunction of the opioid system, since people using high dosages of classic opium have difficulties with socializing, stiff facial features and above all, stereotypic, repetitive behaviours. (during intoxication)

However, this has been hard to prove, since no increased opioid metabolites have been found in autistic children's excretes or blood.

You have no doubt heard of the hypothesis that dietary changes would improve autistic symptoms - well, the results are shaky at best, and it's now more or less considered to be a bust - the theory doesn't seem to hold up well enough.

But still, I suppose there might be something to it...

There's of course the evidence showing that glucose, when combined with fats, seems to cause a pleasure-reaction similar to heroin, so possibly there's more to it, or glucose itself affects the opioid systems semi-directly, somehow. We'll look into it! = )

An experiment for yourself, is to try and remove both casein and gluten from diet (I believe you've already tried this, though?) and see if sandwiches and fast carbohydrates like potato chips still elicit the same response.

And finally, the ultimate experiment - REMOVE all carbohydrates, if wheat and gluten doesn't work, and see what happens - will food still be as rewarding? If you do this, you must do it for your whole family - every ounce of glucose must be removed from your house-hold and either binned or given to the poor. You can't allow yourself to have any temptations of glucose. Finally, there's of course the evidence that autists, much like ADHD-ers, have decreased production of Kynurenic Acid - an LCHF diet DRAMATICALLY increases production of KYNA - there's even reports of people ending up in a slight depersonalised state from LCHF-diets -and this is in line with increased NMDA-antagonism.

Any problems with transitioning to a sugar-free diet can be rectified with supplementation with extra electrolytes (extremely important!), fluid, and, of course, powdered SCFA's like Butyrate (direct energy to your brain, without affecting glucose-levels - PERFECT!! - an excellent cheat for a starter lchf-dieter)

I believe you also recall the recent connections between Autism and Substance Use Disorder? Since they share alterations in the brain, the connection might be similar to ADHD and SCT - i.e kind of two sides to the same coin.

References:

-----------------

The A2 milk case: a critical review

https://www.nature.c...rticles/1602104

Sugar and Fat Bingeing Have Notable Differences in Addictive-like Behavior1–3

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2714381/

Sugar-bingeing rats have a significant decrease in enkephalin mRNA (53), whereas μ-opioid receptor binding is significantly enhanced in the NAc shell, cingulate, hippocampus, and locus coeruleus

Gluten-free and casein-free diets in the therapy of autism.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/26418822

Decreased tryptophan metabolism in patients with autism spectrum disorders.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/23731516

Neuroinflammation, the kynurenine pathway, and autism

https://www.autismsp...hway-and-autism

Kynurenic acid: a factor for schizophrenia and autism

https://neuroshaman....nia-and-autism/

Edited by Stinkorninjor, 23 January 2018 - 01:56 PM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

opioids and specifically endorphins make some sense as opiate receptors antagonists are used in obesity treatments indeed. I took LDN a few times and frankly I don't remember any major effects. I may need to try it again to see if it takes pleasure away from eating.

the few times i took opiates for pain i haven't noticed any pleasant feeling, but again, i was in pain.

BTW, low carb diet gave me awful fatigue/malaise the few times i did that. not sure if it was due to low 5HT. I feel slightly better with no gluten/no casein diet, but i'm addicted to both and especially gluten. weird.

#4 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

opioids and specifically endorphins make some sense as opiate receptors antagonists are used in obesity treatments indeed. I took LDN a few times and frankly I don't remember any major effects. I may need to try it again to see if it takes pleasure away from eating.

the few times i took opiates for pain i haven't noticed any pleasant feeling, but again, i was in pain.

BTW, low carb diet gave me awful fatigue/malaise the few times i did that. not sure if it was due to low 5HT. I feel slightly better with no gluten/no casein diet, but i'm addicted to both and especially gluten. weird.

I got this as well, when I gave it a try - the trick is to not just change your diet, but to add a few cheats - for those of us whom are slow ketogenics, aka it takes longer for our bodies to change into a metabolism wherein ketosis runs smoothly, wherein enough keton-bodies are produced to fuel us - for us, we either have to change our diets very slowly, taper out carbohydrates for up to three months(!) - OR... use Butyrate to cheat.

The butyrate will give the benefits of ketones, but the effects will FEEL like Glucose! : D That's what you use the Butyrate for, man! (oh, and glucose binds liquid, so if you stop using carbs, you're going to lose a crap-ton more liquid, which will cause problems, as well as a loss of electrolytes)

You gotta' cap it though, man - the Butyrate powder literally tastes like vomit and puke. (no joke, as you're probably aware - it's one of the core ingredients in what gives vomit its characteristic taste)

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 jack black

• Topic Starter
  • 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:12 PM

i searched some more and found this:

Evidence That Intermittent, Excessive Sugar Intake Causes Endogenous Opioid Dependence

in rats: http://onlinelibrary...by.2002.66/full

i'm thinking i may have suffered the opiate withdrawal during low carb diet, while the LDN had too low dose to trigger it.

the study explains that high-fat palatable food may have similar effects.

PS: I went back to my notes and i did eat less while doing the LDN in PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users