Methylene Blue to rejuvenate skin?

rejuvenate face skin wrinkles

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Lady4T

• 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:05 AM

This thread in the "Supplements" section is very interesting.

http://www.longecity...ade-skin-cream/

I was wondering if anyone here is using Methylene Blue (MB) on their skin.  What/How are you using it, and What have been your results?

#2 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 02:56 AM

Here's the study:

https://www.nature.c...598-017-02419-3

Abstract:

"Oxidative stress is the major cause of skin aging that includes wrinkles, pigmentation, and weakened wound healing ability. Application of antioxidants in skin care is well accepted as an effective approach to delay the skin aging process. Methylene blue (MB), a traditional mitochondrial-targeting antioxidant, showed a potent ROS scavenging efficacy in cultured human skin fibroblasts derived from healthy donors and from patients with progeria, a genetic premature aging disease. In comparison with other widely used general and mitochondrial-targeting antioxidants, we found that MB was more effective in stimulating skin fibroblast proliferation and delaying cellular senescence. The skin irritation test, performed on an in vitro reconstructed 3D human skin model, indicated that MB was safe for long-term use, and did not cause irritation even at high concentrations. Application of MB to this 3D skin model further demonstrated that MB improved skin viability, promoted wound healing and increased skin hydration and dermis thickness. Gene expression analysis showed that MB treatment altered the expression of a subset of extracellular matrix proteins in the skin, including upregulation of elastin and collagen 2A1, two essential components for healthy skin. Altogether, our study suggests that MB has a great potential for skin care."

Comments?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 January 2018 - 09:04 PM

I'm planning to whip up a lotion containing MB, and was hoping for some input from the members here who have used MB topically, or who can correct me if I'm doing it wrong.

So my plan is to take one drop of a 1% MB solution and put it into 1.5 liters of distilled water (according to aconita's posts on this thread http://www.longecity...itoq-for-skin/ this would give a concentration of about 1μM of MB).

Then I plan to mix the 1μM solution with a store-bought lotion in equal parts (i.e., half MB solution, half lotion). I figured that by mixing it this way, the MB would get more diluted and give me a lower concentration closer to 0.5μM of MB.

Does this sound okay?

I'd love to get some feedback. My skin needs lots of help.  :)

#4 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 January 2018 - 08:51 PM

Your plan sounds pretty good, but as you mentioned, definitely look through this part of the forum to find Aconita's posts about various ways to mix face creams. Personally I think if you want to make it easy, use CeraVe lotion (the regular bottle with hyaluronic acid and ceramides) as a base. Mix the MB in there along with any other helpful ingredients (i.e. DMSO for absorption, GHK, Matryxyl 3000, topical C, etc).

You might also just try mixing the above with this and the CeraVe: https://www.amazon.c...ROHVME686&psc=1

Also, question, where are you getting the Methylene Blue?

I wonder if it would do anything to help restore the firmness of the malar fat pad and reduce the nasolabial folds in any significant way.

Edited by Nate-2004, 29 January 2018 - 08:53 PM.

#5 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2018 - 07:41 AM

Thanks, Nate, for your suggestions. For this first trial, I'll just use the lotion I already have (365 brand from Whole Foods).  It doesn't have HA, but that's something I might want to add in the future. Restoring the fat pad is the goal.

I bought the MB from an aquarium shop - Fritz brand. It's a 2.303% solution that I intend to dilute with slightly more than an equal amount of distilled water to get about a1% solution. Thank goodness that topical use doesn't need to be super exact.  ;-) 

Edited by Lady4T, 30 January 2018 - 07:42 AM.

• Informative x 1

#6 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

I got this, which is 188 ml and added 80mg of MB in it. That should be about the level it needs to be to prevent staining. Seems to work well thus far in the three days of use.  No staining on the face or hands. I'm going to give it the usual 60 days but possibly not every day. I ran out of GHKcu so that's not going in there unfortunately. I may combine this with voluplus and CeraVe.

#7 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 February 2018 - 08:10 PM

Crap I screwed up and added the wrong amount, apparently 80mg in 188ml is not the < 5µg we're trying to get. I misread Litres as Milliletres I need to somehow get it down considerably. So one drop of 1% in 1.5 litres is 1 µM. 

The stuff I have is 2% I think.

I would need to double that amount of liquid to 3 litres, argh. I fucked it all up again that's twice now.

#8 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2018 - 03:25 AM

LOL.  Take a deep breath, Nate. :)

Yes, one drop of a 1% MB solution into 1.5 liters of water will give a concentration of about 1μM (according to 'aconita')

Edited by Lady4T, 09 February 2018 - 03:30 AM.

#9 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

Actually that's according to the calculator I used. I figured it all out though and got the perfect concentration. Just hoping there's no issue mixing it with vitamin C.

#10 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2018 - 09:44 AM

. . .

I ran out of GHKcu so that's not going in there unfortunately. I may combine this with voluplus and CeraVe.

Nate, Where did you get Voluplus? Or do you mean that you're using IsoSensuals?

#11 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

Amazon has both actually but without double checking, the IsoSensuals is the one I think I'm using.

#12 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:09 AM

When I search for Voluplus on amazon, I get hits for isoSensuals, but not just Voluplus. I had been wondering if Voluplus can be purchased somewhere...

I wonder how they extract the macelignan from the nutmeg... Could this be done at home?

Maybe just make some nutmeg tea and mix it with macadamia oil...?

Edited by Lady4T, 13 February 2018 - 03:10 AM.

#13 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 03:15 AM

isoSensuals only has voluplus yeah, I can't seem to find the one I found a couple days ago that had volufine in it.

No idea about that other stuff.

Edited by Nate-2004, 13 February 2018 - 03:16 AM.

#14 Lady4T

• Topic Starter
  • 117 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:16 AM

Voluplus seems to be macelignan, which is extracted from nutmeg. And macadamia oil (from macadamia nuts) has also been found to be beneficial for skin regeneration (probably due to its high content of palmitoleic acid)

• Informative x 1

#15 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:43 PM

I know some things can be extracted via ethanol but not sure how they do it for macelignan much less isolate it.

These are things I wish there were classes on how to do. It'd probably get expensive up front though because I guess you'd need some kind of HPLC or Infrared Spectrometer to figure out if you've isolated the right chemical. 

#16 NFP

• 46 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 04:27 PM

any noticeable results?
  • like x 1

#17 ZuoCi

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:09 AM

I got this, which is 188 ml and added 80mg of MB in it. That should be about the level it needs to be to prevent staining. Seems to work well thus far in the three days of use.  No staining on the face or hands. I'm going to give it the usual 60 days but possibly not every day. I ran out of GHKcu so that's not going in there unfortunately. I may combine this with voluplus and CeraVe.

Did you ever get around to trying this? My thinking is that MB is probably too much bother for the face, but could be good in a body mist/lotion. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rejuvenate, face, skin, wrinkles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users