LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

2018 Longevity Review

Posted by Chris Pollyanna , 19 June 2019 · 1,739 views

2018 review longevity senolytics rapamycin nad+ spermidine

Hello & Happy New Year!
Welcome once again to my end of year review of the biggest news on the longevity front in 2018. In a change from last year (& taking into account feedback) instead of providing a top ten list, I will focus on four areas which have greater near-term applicability.
The four areas I will focus on are:

1)Senolytics – the clearance of senescent or “zombie” cells, which could result in partial rejuvenation.

2)Rapamycin/mTOR inhibitors – the most powerful anti-ageing drug currently available (for those who know how to get hold of it… ?)

3)NAD+ precursors - novel, but available supplements which are starting to show useful anti-ageing effects.

4)Spermidine – inducer of autophagy (recycling within our cells), found in common foods and easily & cheaply obtainable.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018 was once again a year of incredible progress in the science of longevity. I am ever more certain that we will all be able to take advantage of this progress in our lifetimes, and if things progress at their current rate, it could be within the next decade. According to my disparate sources, some mind-blowing advances could even be revealed later this year - which might prove that true rejuvenation is within reach.

As an indication of where this field stands, I’ve included a couple of attachments. The first is a practical guide for early adopters/self-experimenters, from a longevity conference in September, whose steps I generally agree with. The second is a new paper from Nature - Cell Biology, reviewing “emerging rejuvenation strategies”, for those of you with a desire to delve into the science.

Personally, this was also a year of growth in my advocacy efforts. I presented last year’s review to my local Member of Parliament, contacted and joined various longevity organisations, visited a prominent longevity biotech, got the OK to write an article for mylocal newspaper, and more pertinently for you all: moved from theory into putting my ideas into practice as regards to longevity supplements/drugs. PS – I’ve also finally joined Twitter, so please follow me on @chrispollyanna1 for more prompt updates from this fast-moving field!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Senolytics

Overview – Senescent Cells are cells which have reached the end of their lifespan and should have been cleared by the body, but instead, they hang around and release toxic substances, which cause damage to surrounding tissue. When they have been removed in animal models, there has been substantial improvement in various diseases and visible rejuvenation.

2018 - The list of conditions/diseases linked to Senescent Cells continues to grow, fromAlzheimer’s to Cardiovascular Disease via Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease andRheumatoid Arthritis amongst many others.
The list of senolytic drug candidates also continues to grow with Fisetin (an available supplement derived from strawberries) and Azithromycin (a common antibiotic) leading the pack due to their availability and cheapness. If they pan out, we could be taking advantage of them within a few years…
Life and healthspan extension shown for the first time. Before, senolytics had been shown to improve average lifespan, now the combination of Dasatinib & Quercetin has been shown to increase maximum lifespan by 36%! And although it was too small a cohort to be statistically significant, all the mice on Fisetin outlived their controls.
Most excitingly, numerous human trials are underway, both from commercial companies like Unity (1), and research organisations like the Mayo Clinic (1)(2)(3), as well as private initiatives like the Age Reversal Network. The first results from some of these studies will become available in 2019 – as I said, exciting times!

2. Rapamycin / mTOR inhibitors

Overview – mTOR is one of the most important pathways in our bodies, which controls whether the body concentrates on growth or repair. When we are young, growth is obviously more important, however as we age, repair takes precedence. When mTOR gets inhibited, by Rapamycin for example, the body switches into repair mode, which in turn should increase our health and lifespan. Rapamycin was the first drug proven to extend the lifespan of a mammal.

2018 – The number of conditions to which Rapamycin can help continues to accumulate, with hearing loss, hair growth, emphysema, osteoporosis, blood brain barrier integrity(Alzheimer’s) and vertebral disc degeneration added last year.
The results of the second human trial of an mTOR inhibitor similar to Rapamycin were released (PDF), showing that treatment improved immune function and reduced respiratory tract infections among the elderly.
Previously, Rapamycin was only available through (expensive) prescription or by going through companies in India (which then still asked me for a prescription!), but in the last couple of months I have found a cheaper non-prescription source. As I have done my due diligence and am a firm believer in the science, I have placed an order, and soon my parents and I will be trying it out. Watch this space!

3. NAD+ Precursors

Overview – NAD+ is an essential molecule used in numerous processes including DNA repair. Its levels decline with age and raising them again has shown benefit in animal models. There are two commercially available precursors which appear to boost levels in humans as well – Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) & Nicotinamide MonoNucleotide (NMN).
In last year’s review I wrote about NR and had my parents start taking it, however, due to admittedly anecdotal evidence from some of the forums I frequent, I have switched my parents over to NMN and have started taking it myself. Be warned though – it’s not a cheap supplement. Also, there’s currently a scientific battle taking place as to which supplement is better, with no consensus having been reached thus far. The unpublished sources I’m following seem to be leaning towards NMN however…

2018One major study in mice showed an improvement in blood flow to muscles and increased exercise endurance in mice given NMN. Also, a 2017 study showed improved DNA repair in irradiated mice.
The crowdfunding campaign looking at a lifespan study of NMN in mice I mentioned in my last update was a resounding success. Not only did it smash through its initial and end goals, but it reached its stretch goal of $75,000! This means that all of the extra tests will be fully funded, and we will know in a few years if NMN also increases maximum lifespan in a mammal. A heartfelt thank you if you contributed to this noble cause. I donated $100 and have already received my free T-shirt! ?
As regards to NR, two more human studies were published looking at long term safetyand insulin sensitivity.

4. Spermidine

Overview – Spermidine is a molecule found in various foods which has been found to induce autophagy, a process by which our cells recycle damaged proteins as a source of fuel. A study showed that it increased the lifespan of mice and had various other health benefits, including cognition and cardiovascular. Moreover, it is readily available, with wheat germ having the highest concentration. In the last couple of years, I’ve added wheat germ to my diet, adding it to & sprinkling it over various dishes. It seems the cheapest and easiest life-extension hack & I consider it my secret weapon!

2018 – After numerous intriguing mouse studies, the first human studies came out last year. The first showed memory improvements in the elderly with Spermidine supplementation, while the second, an epidemiological study, showed reduced mortality in those with the highest spermidine-containing diet compared to those with the least. This was the equivalent of a five-year age difference.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. In the meantime, you can follow me on Twitter @Chrispollyanna1 and if you have any spare change, considering donating to some of the organisations below. Although this field has made amazing progress, it remains chronically underfunded and the best way to increase our chances of a long and healthy life is to give money to research.

Coming up in 2019 – Monthly updates (I promise this time!), plus a guide to the best longevity supplements, their cost and how to obtain them.
As ever, please feel free to forward this email to anyone who might be interested!

Research Institutes:

SENS Research Foundation (I have a recurring monthly donation)
Buck Institute

Private initiatives:

Age-Reversal Network (good information & forums for those interested in self-experimentation – this is where I found how to get non-prescription Rapamycin)
Better Humans
Lifespan.io (I have a recurring monthly donation)

Further sources of information:

#Fight Aging!
Life Extension Advocacy Foundation
Longecity

Attached Files

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

MyBlogLog

March 2024

S M T W T F S
24252627 28 2930

Recent Entries