• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

September 2021 Longevity Review

Posted by Chris Pollyanna , 06 October 2021 · 1,659 views

supplements stem cells reprogramming nmn nad resveratrol

Can you keep a secret? I almost don’t want to say anything in case I jinx it, but September has brought some unexpected good news for the creation of a Canadian longevity non-profit. I was approached by the Aging Analytics Agency to partner up in creating just such an organisation. I hope to share in full the details next month - cross your fingers! In the meantime, I’m helping them put the finishing touches to a report on the longevity industry in Canada, which I will also share with you next month.

Apart from the above, I’ve also finished updating Lifespan.io’s existing Rejuvenation Roadmap and am now in the process of adding new companies and potential treatments. It is the best source on the web for up to date information about biotech’s advancement of longevity. And, to top it off, there might be some interesting developments with Lifespan.io as well...

After a lull over the summer, it feels like someone has dropped a concrete block onto my accelerator - not that I’m complaining!

Follow me on Twitter @ChrisPollyanna1 for the latest updates.

For previous updates, you can find them in the Canadian Longevity Association Facebook group, and also my Patreon account, which includes bonus material for supporters.

Finally, if you are interested in helping me create a Canadian longevity non-profit, then please contact me via the Canadian Longevity Association website.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September Round-Up:

Here is yet more proof that eating well and exercising are good for you (duh!). In this study, epigenetic ageing was slowed down in healthy post-menopausal women who improved their diet and increased their exercise.
*Activity and Diet Shown to Slow Aging (Again) Full Text

The heart, which normally can not regenerate after a heart attack, was in this mouse study shown to be able to when subjected to reprogramming. The fact that this was achieved in non-dividing heart cells might indicate that it is possible in all cell types.
In step forward for rejuvenation field, researchers turn back the clock on mice hearts Abstract

Unlike the previous study, which used reprogramming, here researchers used overexpression of the transcription factor NANOG to reduce the hallmarks of cellular ageing including mitochondrial dysfunction and genomic instability.
Boosting NANOG to Revitalize Muscle Cell Progenitors Full Text

This is an exciting example of stem cell engineering using CRISPR, whereby the implanted cells release a drug to combat inflammation when needed. The potential for this is vast.
Engineering Anti-Inflammatory Cells to Fight Arthritis Full Text

I’ve been sceptical (& still am!) about the “hype” over hyperbaric oxygen therapy, however the studies have continued to come out this year, so perhaps there is something to it?
*Hyperbaric oxygen therapy alleviates vascular dysfunction and amyloid burden in an Alzheimer’s disease mouse model and in elderly patients Full Text

Covid-19 Longevity Related Papers:
*Eating a plant rich diet reduces risk of developing COVID-19 Full Text
*Melatonin as an Add-On Treatment of COVID-19 Infection: Current Status Full Text
*Randomized Double-blind Placebo-controlled Proof-of-concept Trial of Resveratrol for Outpatient Treatment of Mild Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) Full Text

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Podcast to listen to:

Here’s a new longevity podcast from the CBC. Only two episodes have been released so far, but could be worth following.
Unlocking The Fountain

==========================================================================================================================================

2021 Supplemental Information

***Disclaimer 1 As should be self-evident to anyone receiving these emails, I am NOT a doctor or indeed a scientist. All the information pertained within is for information purposes only; use at your own risk. Please consult with a healthcare practitioner if needing medical advice.***

**Disclaimer 2 – In no way should supplements be a replacement for an unhealthy diet or lifestyle. A varied, plant dominant dietary pattern is the cornerstone for health. Try to eat the rainbow – the greater the variety, the greater the benefit. Even though I might take a supplement derived from a plant source, I still eat the plant in question. Also, make sure you move as much as possible – that is what we evolved to do.**

*Also bear in mind that most of the studies mentioned below are in rodents, not humans. Rodents, needless to say, do not always react the same way to drugs as humans do – witness the countless times cancer or another disease has been cured in rodents only to subsequently fail human trials. I have *bolded any human trials.*
Lifestyle
*Healthy changes in diet, activity improved treatment-resistant high blood pressure Full Text
*Consuming fruit and vegetables and exercising can make you happier Full Text

Fasting/Dietary Restriction certainly the cheapest & also one of the most effective anti-ageing interventions currently available. It comes in many flavours, but I fast for at least 12 hours every day.
*Intermittent fasting can help manage metabolic disease Abstract
Intermittent fasting makes fruit flies live longer — will it work for people? Abstract
*Intermittent and Periodic Fasting, Hormones, and Cancer Prevention Full Text
Calorie intake rather than food quantity consumed is the key factor for the anti-aging effect of calorie restriction Full Text

Diet – let food be thy medicine…
*Association of Walnut Consumption with Total and Cause-Specific Mortality and Life Expectancy in U.S. Adults Full Text
*MIND diet linked to better cognitive performance Full Text
*The carbohydrate-insulin model: a physiological perspective on the obesity pandemic Full Text

Exercise if you could bottle the benefits of exercise, it would be the biggest blockbuster drug of all time.
*Steps every day could lead to longer life Full Text
*Researchers observed association between standing and insulin sensitivity – standing more may help prevent chronic diseases Full Text
*One-Year Committed Exercise Training Reverses Abnormal Left Ventricular Myocardial Stiffness in Patients With Stage B Heart Failure With Preserved Ejection Fraction Full Text

Non-prescription Supplements (in alphabetical order)
*Due to concerns about engendering homeostasis, I’ve begun varying my intake of supplements so that I’m not taking all of them every day. Haven’t worked out a rota so far.

Astaxanthin which is behind the pink colour of salmon & shrimp. Considered the most powerful carotenoid, it has anti-oxidative, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, neuro-protective and skin-protective qualities. I take 4 or 8 mg intermittently.
Astaxanthin Delivery Systems for Skin Application: A Review Full Text
Assessing the Potential of Nutraceuticals as Geroprotectors on Muscle Performance and Cognition in Aging Mice Full Text
Microbial Composition and Co-occurrence Patterns in the Gut Microbial Community of Normal and Obese Mice in Response to Astaxanthin Full Text

Curcumin the spice which gives curries their yellow colour. Anti-inflammatory and neuroprotective. I take 1 gram intermittently. Needs to be taken with black pepper (piperine) to improve bioavailability.
*The efficacy of high- and low-dose curcumin in knee osteoarthritis: A systematic review and meta-analysis Full Text
*Potential Health Benefits of Curcumin on Female Reproductive Disorders: A Review Full Text
*Effect of curcumin on C-reactive protein as a biomarker of systemic inflammation: An updated meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials

Fisetin a flavonoid found in highest concentrations in strawberries. Senolytic, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, neuro-protective & Sirt1 activator. I take 100mg intermittently.
Fisetin, potential flavonoid with multifarious targets for treating neurological disorders: An updated review
Fisetin Improves Hyperuricemia-Induced Chronic Kidney Disease via Regulating Gut Microbiota-Mediated Tryptophan Metabolism and Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor Activation
Fisetin Protects HaCaT Human Keratinocytes from Fine Particulate Matter (PM2.5)-Induced Oxidative Stress and Apoptosis by Inhibiting the Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Response Full Text

Melatonin a natural hormone produced in the pineal gland, it makes us get to sleep every night, but it has many other functions, including as a mitochondrial antioxidant. I take 3mg every night primarily as a sleep aid.
*Exercise-induced oxidative stress and melatonin supplementation: current evidence Full Text
*A pilot study on the melatonin treatment in patients with early septic shock: results of a single-center randomized controlled trial Full Text
Acute melatonin administration improves exercise tolerance and the metabolic recovery after exhaustive effort Full Text

Nicotinamide MonoNucleotide (NMN) newer NAD+ precursor. I take 250 – 500mg on days I exercise.
Transient Dexamethasone Loading Induces Prolonged Hyperglycemia in Male Mice with Histone Acetylation in Dpp-4 Promoter Full Text
Nicotinamide Adenine Nucleotide—The Fountain of Youth to Prevent Oocyte Aging? Full Text

Nicotinamide Riboside (NR) NAD+ precursor.
*Nicotinamide Riboside Improves Ataxia Scores and Immunoglobulin Levels in Ataxia Telangiectasia Full Text
Nicotinamide Riboside Alleviates Cardiac Dysfunction and Remodeling in Pressure Overload Cardiac Hypertrophy Full Text
Nicotinamide Riboside Neutralizes Hypothalamic Inflammation and Increases Weight Loss Without Altering Muscle Mass in Obese Rats Under Calorie Restriction: A Preliminary Investigation Full Text

Pterostilbene found in blueberries. Anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and Sir1 activator. Similar to, but with greater bioavailability than resveratrol. Taking 50mg intermittently in the same pill as resveratrol. Works better in conjunction with NAD+ precursors.
Modifications in the Intestinal Functionality, Morphology and Microbiome Following Intra-Amniotic Administration (Gallus gallus) of Grape (Vitis vinifera) Stilbenes (Resveratrol and Pterostilbene) Full Text

Resveratrol found in the skin of grapes. Anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and Sir1 activator. Taking 250mg intermittently in the same pill as pterostilbene. Works better in conjunction with NAD+ precursors & Spermidine.
*Effect of resveratrol on C-reactive protein: An updated meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
*Protective and Recovery Effects of Resveratrol Supplementation on Exercise Performance and Muscle Damage following Acute Plyometric Exercise Full Text
*The Effect of Resveratrol on the Cardiovascular System from Molecular Mechanisms to Clinical Results Full Text

Spermidine found in wheat germ and a potent inducer of autophagy, it works in synergy with Resveratrol. I try to eat a few teaspoons of wheat germ every day in my berry & nut breakfast.
The Protective Effect of Topical Spermidine on Dry Eye Disease with Retinal Damage Induced by Diesel Particulate Matter2.5 Full Text

Other available supplements (in alphabetical order)
*B Vitamins Prevent Iron-Associated Brain Atrophy and Domain-Specific Effects of Iron, Copper, Aluminum, and Silicon on Cognition in Mild Cognitive Impairment Full Text
Drug Screening Implicates Chondroitin Sulfate as a Potential Longevity Pill Full Text**
*The effects of 6-month hydrogen-rich water intake on molecular and phenotypic biomarkers of aging in older adults aged 70 years and over: A randomized controlled pilot trial
*L-Citrulline Supplementation and Exercise in the Management of Sarcopenia Full Text**
*The Effects of Korean Red Ginseng on Biological Aging and Antioxidant Capacity in Postmenopausal Women: A Double-Blind Randomized Controlled Study Full Text
*A Randomized, Double-Blind Comparison Study of Royal Jelly to Augment Vascular Endothelial Function in Healthy Volunteers Full Text

Combinations of Supplements
*The effect of nanomicelle curcumin supplementation and Nigella sativa oil on the expression level of miRNA-21, miRNA-422a, and miRNA-503 gene in postmenopausal women with low bone mass density: A randomized, triple-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial with factorial design
Synergistic Protective Effect of Curcumin and Resveratrol against Oxidative Stress in Endothelial EAhy926 Cells Full Text*
Combined Supplementation with Vitamin B-6 and Curcumin is Superior to Either Agent Alone in Suppressing Obesity-Promoted Colorectal Tumorigenesis in Mice

Prescription Supplements

MetforminAnti-diabetic medication, maintained by many scientists to be a safe longevity enhancing medication.
Neuroprotective effects of metformin on cerebral ischemia-reperfusion injury by regulating PI3K/Akt pathway Full Text
Metformin alleviates stress-induced cellular senescence of aging human adipose stromal cells and the ensuing adipocyte dysfunction Full Text
A high fat, sugar, and salt Western diet induces motor-muscular and sensory dysfunctions and neurodegeneration in mice during aging: Ameliorative action of metformin Full Text

Rapamycin (sirolimus) – first drug proven to increase the health & lifespan of mice, and the one with the most evidence behind it.
DNA methylation age analysis of rapamycin in common marmosets Full Text
Evidence that C/EBP-β LAP Increases Fat Metabolism and Protects Against Diet-Induced Obesity in Response to mTOR Inhibition Full Text
A microfluidic approach to rescue ALS motor neuron degeneration using rapamycin Full Text

Miscellaneous Molecules
Antioxidant drug reverses process responsible for heart attacks and strokes Full Text
Dulaglutide improves muscle function by attenuating inflammation through OPA-1-TLR-9 signaling in aged mice Full Text
Elamipretide (SS-31) treatment attenuates age-associated post-translational modifications of heart proteins
Loss of Growth Differentiation Factor 11 Shortens Telomere Length by Downregulating Telomerase Activity Full Text

Other Areas of Interest (in alphabetical order)

Ageing Clocks & other biomarkers of ageing
*Is greenery the secret to slowing the biological ageing process? Full Text
*The association between epigenetic clocks and physical functioning in older women: a three-year follow-up Full Text
*Studying aging through metabolite changes in saliva Full Text

Epigenetics & Cellular Reprogramming
Cellular reprogramming and epigenetic rejuvenation Full Text
Hierarchy and control of ageing-related methylation networks Full Text
How Are Epigenetic Modifications Related to Cardiovascular Disease in Older Adults? Full Text

Exosomes (small packets of information released by cells)
Human Adipose Mesenchymal Stem Cell-derived Exosomes Protect Mice from DSS-Induced Inflammatory Bowel Disease by Promoting Intestinal-stem-cell and Epithelial Regeneration Full Text
Astrocyte-derived exosomes protect hippocampal neurons after traumatic brain injury by suppressing mitochondrial oxidative stress and apoptosis Full Text
Extracellular Vesicles as Pro- and Anti-inflammatory Mediators, Biomarkers and Potential Therapeutic Agents in Multiple Sclerosis Full Text

Genetics including CRISPR
*Nutrigenetic variants and response to diet/lifestyle intervention in obese subjects: a pilot study Full Text
*Rare genetic coding variants associated with human longevity and protection against age-related diseases
*Cross-Disorder Genomics Data Analysis Elucidates a Shared Genetic Basis Between Major Depression and Osteoarthritis Pain Full Text

Lifespan Lengthening Interventions
Increased fidelity of protein synthesis extends lifespan Full Text
Lithium can mildly increase health during ageing but not lifespan in mice Full Text
Ginsenoside Prolongs the Lifespan of C. elegans via Lipid Metabolism and Activating the Stress Response Signaling Pathway Full Text
Deep Modeling of Regulating Effects of Small Molecules on Longevity-Associated Genes Full Text
Knock-down of odr-3 and ife-2 additively extends lifespan and healthspan in C. elegans Full Text**
End-of-life targeted auxin-mediated degradation of DAF-2 Insulin/IGF-1 receptor promotes longevity free from growth-related pathologies**

Microbiome
Gut Microbiota Predicts Healthy Late-Life Aging in Male Mice Full Text
Lactobacillus plantarum HY7715 Ameliorates Sarcopenia by Improving Skeletal Muscle Mass and Function in Aged Balb/c Mice Full Text
*Gut microbiota influences the ability to lose weight Full Text

Observational Studies
*Studying at university in later life slows cognitive decline: A long-term prospective study Full Text
*Long-term exposure to particulate air pollution and black carbon in relation to natural and cause-specific mortality: a multicohort study in Sweden Full Text
*Associations Between Cardiorespiratory Fitness, Cardiovascular Risk, and Cognition Are Mediated by Structural Brain Health in Midlife Full Text

Opinion/Editorials/Theory
A Hypothesis: The Interplay of Exercise and Physiological Heterogeneity as Drivers of Human Ageing Full Text
Evolution, Chance, and Aging Full Text
The hyperfunction theory of aging: three common misconceptions Full Text

Other Ageing Biology
Radiation therapy reprograms heart muscle cells to younger state Full Text
Heat Shock Factor 1 Prevents Age-Related Hearing Loss by Decreasing Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress Full Text

Reviews
*Caloric Restriction Mimetics in Nutrition and Clinical Trials Full Text
The balance between NAD+ biosynthesis and consumption in ageing Full Text
Preclinical and clinical evidence of NAD+ precursors in health, disease, and ageing Full Text

Senolytics/Senescent Cells
Drug cocktail reduces aging-associated disc degeneration Full Text
Potential Use of Senolytics for Pharmacological Targeting of Precancerous Lesions Full Text
HSP90 acts as a senomorphic target in senescent retinal pigmental epithelial cells Full Text

Skin & Beauty
*Safety and efficacy of ALRV5XR in men with androgenetic alopecia: A randomised, double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial Full Text
*Hydrogel plus growth factors treatment after 2940nm erbium:YAG lattice laser improves periorbital wrinkles and wound healing: a case report Full Text

Stem Cells
Epigenomic Rejuvenation for Restoring Bone Stem Cells Full Text
Human cardiac stem cells rejuvenated by modulating autophagy with MHY-1685 enhance the therapeutic potential for cardiac repair Full Text

Odds & Sods
*Using internet in retirement boosts cognitive function Abstract
*Centenarians exposed to the Spanish flu in their early life better survived to COVID-19 Full Text
The naked truth: a comprehensive clarification and classification of current ‘myths’ in naked mole-rat biology Full Text
Aging the unageable: New way to age lobsters Full Text
Transcranial Laser Photobiomodulation Improves Intracellular Signaling Linked to Cell Survival, Memory and Glucose Metabolism in the Aged Brain: A Preliminary Study Full Text
Environmental enrichment modulates silent information regulator 1 (SIRT1) activity to attenuate central presbycusis in a rat model of normal aging
Fasting blood glucose as a predictor of mortality: Lost in translation

• like x 1

Trackbacks for this entry [ Trackback URL ]

There are no Trackbacks for this entry

MyBlogLog

March 2024

S M T W T F S
2425262728 29 30

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Twitter

2 user(s) viewing