• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Rol82's Blog

Photo

Nationalism and Identity: The Case of Ireland

Posted by Rational Madman , 01 August 2011 - - - - - - · 18,847 views

Although my philosophical orientation would generally make me skeptical of nationalist movements, I've had an abiding interest in the Irish struggle that defies this orientation. Regardless of my philosophy, though, there is a part of me that sympathizes strongly with some nationalist movements, because I think the structure of the international...

Photo

Nationalism and Identity: The Case of Ireland

Posted by Rational Madman , 01 August 2011 - - - - - - · 1,636 views

Although my philosophical orientation would generally make me skeptical of nationalistmovements, I've had an abiding interest in the Irish struggle that defies this orientation. Regardless of my philosophy, though, there is a part of me thatsympathizes strongly with some nationalist movements, because I thinkthe structure of the international...

Photo

Posted by Rational Madman , 15 May 2011 - - - - - - · 54,266 views

I'm beginning to think that Hamid Gul's faction probably didn't play a role in sheltering Bin Laden, and were rather, somewhat indifferent to his activities. Because this group was more focused on the struggle over Kashmir, and maximizing Pakistani influence in Afghanistan, which was an interest that they decided that only Hezbi-i-Islami, the...

Photo

The Most Odious Turkish Film Ever

Posted by Rational Madman , 16 February 2011 - - - - - - · 3,921 views

I can understand the Turkish public's anger over Midnight Express, the war in Iraq, and the dispute between Israel and the Palestinian Territories, but is this gratuitos piece a cogent response?

Photo

Wasting Money On a Car

Posted by Rational Madman , 14 February 2011 - - - - - - · 16,618 views

Am I nuts for seriously contemplating buying this car:
Posted Image

And the product description:
1959 Citroën DS19 Prestige, LHD, Fuel Injection, Manual I am...

Photo

Scientology

Posted by Rational Madman , 14 February 2011 - - - - - - · 1,141 views

At 26 pages, it's a long read for a magazine---even The New Yorker, but it's definitely worth sitting aside about an hour of your day. If you're familiar with Wright's work, this at first seems like quite a departure for him, but on second analysis, the terrorist groups that he has covered have their cult-like...

Photo

Amrullah Saleh

Posted by Rational Madman , 12 February 2011 - - - - - - · 1,057 views

Although we have differences on some issues, I would love to sit down, and enjoy a pot of tea and pomegranates with this guy:

Posted Image

http://video.pbs.org/video/1750220122/

Photo

The Zodiac Killer

Posted by Rational Madman , 10 February 2011 - - - - - - · 9,657 views

For the past few weeks, I've found my attention commanded by the literature on the Zodiac Killer, which may be one of the most absorbing cold cases out there---including the Jack the Ripper murders. Although the likely quantity of victims pales in comparison to the more prolific serial killers in history, I find this case to be...

Photo

WTF?

Posted by Rational Madman , 31 January 2011 - - - - - - · 3,217 views

How on Earth does Nouriel Roubini consistantly pull stuff like this off?

Posted Image

And Gawker's excellent coverage of the fascinating personal life of the rock star economist-http://gawker.com/tag/nouriel-roubini/

Photo

A Continuation of My Efforts to Shatter the Hopes of Democratic Idealists

Posted by Rational Madman , 31 January 2011 - - - - - - · 1,481 views

With Egypt's chief spook Omar Suleiman being appointed to the position of Vice-President, and in consideration of the military's seeming ambivalence about unleashing a fury against the protest movement, I'm getting the feeling that the only substantive political change we'll see in Egypt will be...

April 2024

S M T W T F S
1415161718 19 20

Twitter

1 user(s) viewing

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Categories

My Friends' Blogs