• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does Ribose Cause Kidney Failure, Ketosis, Acidosis, and Proteinuria?

Posted by Luminosity , in Health 30 March 2012 · 9,122 views

ribose
I've run across online accounts of young people who developed health problems after taking Ribose. They were on low carb diets at the time. Symptoms include proteinuria (protein in the urine), foamy urine, and swelling of the abdominal area.

Here's one:

http://www.longecity...uria-prolonged-

Here's another:

http://www.longecity...330#entry509330

Here's another that I think is the same poster posting a while ago on medhelp.org:

http://www.medhelp.o...p-/show/1636827

I find the response by a poster called Red Star interesting.

"According to the FDA, some studies have found D-ribose supplementation causes an increase in uric acid. High uric aclevels (hyperuricemia) may not cause significant adverse effects in most people however some may develop gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure resulting from high uric acid levels. As kidney function declines and large amounts of proteins are passing into the urine, swelling of the hands, feet, abdomen and face may occur.

The stages of CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) are mainly based on measured or estimated GFR (Glomerular Filtration Rate).

Stage 1 (90+)
Normal kidney function* but urine findings or structural abnormalities or genetic trait point to kidney disease . . . ."

*emphasis added

So the first stage of kidney disease has normal test results. That person eventually spent thousands on Western Medicine without getting a diagnosis or cure.

I would advise going to an acupuncturist/Chinese herbalist for this problem, as well as following the diet and lifestyle advice provided by Chinese Medicine. I have more information on what that is as well as how to find a good acupuncturist here:

http://www.longecity...inese-medicine/

You can also find my thoughts on it on the first two threads above.

hI, Luminosity, I am here deteriorating. I just had a recent series of blood work again. Still nothing :( kidney markers are normal except for the still mild protein leakage. My symptoms began as a burning pain in the kidneys, then noticed foamy appearance in the urine.

It then progressed to muscle wasting, thinning of cartilage.

Could it be acidosis? But it's not a disease. Should I take sodium bicarbonate? I don't have ketones in the urine but I believe when I took ribose, carnitine, and some other supplements, that's when it began.
Sorry you've gone through all of that. As I probably wrote on your thread, I felt you should have sought out a good acupuncturist/Chinese herbalist and follow and diet and lifestyle advice from Chinese medicine. Clearly, your kidneys are malfunctioning and Western medicine was unlikely to be able to diagnose or treat you properly.

I would reread whatever I wrote on your thread and follow the link to my thread on Chinese medicine.

Taking baking soda is not going to solve your problems. If you read my Chinese Medicine thread and go to a few appointments with a GOOD acupuncturist (and not all of them are) I could review your diet, supplements, lifestyle for anything that might be improved, if you ask. There is no magic supplement that is going to cure you and you have to stop trying to treat the symptoms one by one with exotic or impulsively chosen supplements.

I wouldn't waste any time, if I were you. This is all contingent on the assumption that all your symptoms are real. The response from your doctors seems to imply that they don't necessarily think that is true. It's very hard for us to know that when we can't even see you or your medical records, etc. Like for instance, you say you are wasting away. What is your weight now and what was it three years ago? What was it a year ago? How tall are you? It would help of you could send pictures to me that show how you are wasting away. Maybe you can send them to me through the messaging system here, not sure.
Thank you for your concern. I checked with Kaiser my insurance if they have acupuncture and they do so I had the rep message my doctor for a referral. Hopefully I could get in sooner. Thank you very much for the advice. Please never falter suggesting more. I hope the acupuncturist can finally find something and treat this as I don't think I have enough muscle to lose in a year.
Did you read my thread on how to tell if your acupuncturist is good?

Search My Blog

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

• Photo
    sinkpoint
    13 Sep 2023 - 15:56
  • Photo
    Meggo
    03 Sep 2023 - 05:07
  • Photo
    Jesus Evola
    08 May 2023 - 15:17