* * * * * 8 votes

Spreadsheet of info on Common Nootropics / Productivity Enhancers

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 bacopa

• Validating/Suspended
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:10 AM

I think it's a fabulous start, but you should definitely point out the many other effects that these nootropics can cause good and bad. For instance Pregnenolone may increase risk factor for hormone related cancers, and stuff like that.

#32 zm3thod

• 143 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:55 AM

Nice work

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

I think it's a fabulous start, but you should definitely point out the many other effects that these nootropics can cause good and bad. For instance Pregnenolone may increase risk factor for hormone related cancers, and stuff like that.

If you think that there is a consensus opinion that pregnenolone in the doses described will have a significant effect on risk of cancer, please feel free to add it yourself.

I dont think its particularly helpful, however, to list extremely unlikely risks - this sheet is for practical purposes, not an encyclopedia or medical warning.

#34 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

I dont think its particularly helpful, however, to list extremely unlikely risks - this sheet is for practical purposes, not an encyclopedia or medical warning.

I agree that this shouldn't try to be comprehensive. And saying "RISK OF CANCER" when it's extremely unlikely is a far cry from saying ALCAR has pro-oxidant effects which can be easily circumvented.

OTOH, several people are talking about using this as a FAQ or resource for new members.

Sometimes the "least likely" effects are the most potentiall dangerous, and least-studied because they don't show up on the brief rat assays/etc. These might be hard to reach a consensus about if they're theoretical mechanisms, but many times these are the deciding factors when choosing from a certain group.

I can't recommend how to reconcile these two goals, but I think it should be considered when taking into account that new members might be using this as a sole research tool when selecting nootropics.

#35 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:22 PM

I agree that this shouldn't try to be comprehensive. And saying "RISK OF CANCER" when it's extremely unlikely is a far cry from saying ALCAR has pro-oxidant effects which can be easily circumvented.

OTOH, several people are talking about using this as a FAQ or resource for new members.

Sometimes the "least likely" effects are the most potentiall dangerous, and least-studied because they don't show up on the brief rat assays/etc. These might be hard to reach a consensus about if they're theoretical mechanisms, but many times these are the deciding factors when choosing from a certain group.

I can't recommend how to reconcile these two goals, but I think it should be considered when taking into account that new members might be using this as a sole research tool when selecting nootropics.

The cancer risk could be mentioned in the general comments section I guess. Currently the positive and negative columns are fairly reflective of what most people will experience at some point when using the substances regularly.

#36 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:56 PM

Ephedrine is easy to find. Go to CVS or Walgreens and go to the pharmacy counter and ask for Bronkaid - or just ephedrine and they'll know what you're talking about. Bring your drivers license and about $15.00, and as you leave with it, turn around and ask if they sell red phosphorus. :)

(seriously, don't ask them about red phosphorus)

#37 chilp

• 89 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:45 PM

removed "verbal fluidity" for modafinil. Definitely not true. So many reports on this forum claiming the opposite.

#38 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:51 PM

Added benefits to Pyritinol and potential side-effects. Also noted the euphoria at higher doses of methylphenidate and adderall.

#39 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:19 PM

removed "verbal fluidity" for modafinil. Definitely not true. So many reports on this forum claiming the opposite.

Uhh...so why do you think it's untrue?

#40 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Sorry chrono to interfere, but did you get my message?

#41 chilp

• 89 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Read carefully. Because of my experience and because of many posts claiming this on this forum. It's maybe no proof that it doesn't improve verbal fluidity but it's at least something that disproves it. Thoughts go fast. sure, but not speech (see tip of the tongue syndrome).

oh and also, many scary doses on this spreadsheet, very dangerous info on there.

Edited by chilp, 27 April 2010 - 07:04 PM.

#42 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 07:20 PM

Read carefully. Because of my experience and because of many posts claiming this on this forum.

Ah, gotcha. Thought that "opposite" applied to the sentence preceding it. I'll read carefully, if you write carefully :p

#43 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:11 AM

I personally get increased verbal fluidity with Modafinil, but find it increases my tendency to ramble. If asked short questions with short answers, my answers are more prosaic than usual.

#44 425runner

• 158 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

And what makes you the expert? Are you a doctor? or a Pharmacist? Doses will vary based on individual response and weight of the subject.

Read carefully. Because of my experience and because of many posts claiming this on this forum. It's maybe no proof that it doesn't improve verbal fluidity but it's at least something that disproves it. Thoughts go fast. sure, but not speech (see tip of the tongue syndrome).

oh and also, many scary doses on this spreadsheet, very dangerous info on there.

#45 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 09:36 PM

Removed suppliers column. If you think a dosage is dangerous, please state which, and why.

Edited by Lallante, 03 May 2010 - 09:37 PM.

#46 SucubbusLT

• 31 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

Hello, i can't access that spreadsheet, it says i have no rights to view it.

#47 humility

• 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:04 PM

I can't either. It worked just a few days ago though.

#48 freyley

• 3 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:34 PM

It's working again, but someone's sorted it alphabetically.

#49 Surive123

• 5 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:49 PM

Same.

#50 Nootropic Cat

• 148 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 05:24 PM

I just requested permission to access the doc. Email helixtris@_______

#51 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

Why not make it read-only for people w/o permission? Pretty please?
Or perhaps a read-only copy of the document, checked by the owner of the account.

If it's not possible, add my email too (same as username at gmail.com), want to take a peek.

Edited by AstralStorm, 29 November 2010 - 12:53 AM.

#52 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 10:25 AM

I am not sure exactly what is going on with the document - it is set to publicly editable and yet I receive 4-10 requests for edit access a day.

I grant all requests, usually within 24 hrs. If you want access, make a request through google docs

Is it currently not possible to see, or to edit, the document without permission? I've double checked and its set to public (anyone who has the link can edit, link being https://spreadsheets...uthkey=CMXbgvEF). I also see anonymous edits, so am guessing this is a bug.

I'll keep granting access, but its google docs behaving oddly not some policy change.

PS: I recently reverted back 5 weeks due to someone sorting alphabetically and me not noticing. Apologies re: lost data. I've also removed "common spontaneous erections" from the side effects of modafinil, as I'm pretty sure this was a joke, but feel free to correct me.

Edited by Lallante, 29 November 2010 - 10:27 AM.

#53 Wurzel Bagman

• 84 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:40 AM

It works now. Thanks Lallante :)

#54 Vindex

• 80 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 01:49 AM

And the layout is much better too :happy:

Edited by Vindex, 30 November 2010 - 01:49 AM.

#55 SkylarkV

• 5 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 10:19 AM

And what makes you the expert? Are you a doctor? or a Pharmacist? Doses will vary based on individual response and weight of the subject.

I agree with descriptions of the unfavorable influence of modafinil on verbal fluidity, but would propose that confounding variables may be at work. In particular, modafinil helps one punch through fatigue as if through tissue, but it can only do so much to counteract the constellation of cumulative cognitive assaults induced by sleep deprivation. It may be that declines in verbal fluidity attributed to modafinil should rightly be laid at the door step of "unfelt" exhaustion.

#56 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:32 AM

Please use THIS link if you would like to edit the spreadsheet anonymously without requesting access

https://spreadsheets...uthkey=CMXbgvEF

#57 AstralStorm

• 94 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 01:19 AM

Maybe this thread should be stickied?

#58 manic_racetam

• 937 posts

Posted 28 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

It's no longer editable? Anyway, I just wanted to add to the tramadol section that it's contradicted with Deprenyl (selegeline) and also can cause seizures at doses above 600mg/day.

#59 Lallante

• Topic Starter
  • 197 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi guys. Returning to this forum after long absence. The spreadsheet is still maintained and I have (usually) granted edit access to anyone who has asked over the last couple of years.

The current policy is anyone with the link can view, but you need to log in and request if you want to edit. This is to manage defacement.

https://docs.google....uthkey=CMXbgvEF

Happy to dicuss policy / sorting of information here. It would be good to get some more updated info into the already-fairly-comprehensive sheet.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Logic

• 2,659 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 October 2012 - 05:32 PM

Brilliant!

I have been wanting to do something similar and was wondering if it could be done on this forum?
Now all I have to do is figure out how it works.
Do I have to install Google drive?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users