* * * * * 1 votes

Is vaping Nicotine "healthy"?

nicotine vaping

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

This company is sending me their very cool looking vaping device and Wasabi flavored vaping liquid

This has got me wondering if vaping Nicotine is healthy. The manufacturer cain't make the claim that vaping is good or bad bad for you

I asked them about the ingredients of their vaping liquid and they responded

The only three ingredients in our nicotine e-liquid are vegetable glycerin, polyethylene glycol, and nicotine. That's it.

If this is true then it should be relatively healthy to vape it right?

Reviewing the scientific literature on Nicotine as carcinogen I'm coming to the conclusion that Nicotine has a slight cancer risk and is a bad idea if you already have cancer or at high risk of cancer, but that for an otherwise very healthy person like myself it's a reasonable trade off for the cognitive upside of Nicotine.

Is that pretty reasonable in light of the research? Or is there a significant risk here that I'm unaware of?

I'm a none-smoker (actually I quit about 5 years ago). I've used Nicotine as a Nootropic since then and I really liked it. I'm not really worried about starting up smoking again...

Edited by jroseland, 10 September 2017 - 10:22 AM.

• Enjoying the show x 1

#2 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 September 2017 - 02:35 PM

Most nicotine caused disease is from inhalation of tar and carcinogens produced by smoking tobacco, or from the tobacco specific nitrosamines in most (American, Asian) oral tobacco products.

There's a great deal of epidemiology on a lower carcinogen/TSNA tobacco product, Swedish snus, use of which doesn't appear to be associated with ischemic heart disease or cancer, but does have an association with higher blood pressure and stroke (unsurprising, given nicotine is a vasoconstrictor). Like other tobacco product use, snus use is associated with a dramatic (~60%) reduction in Parkinson's disease incidence.

I used to smoke to control side effects from psychiatric medication. When I got on my current health journey seven years ago, I searched online and started using snus. I've tried vaping, but its an expensive hobby (you'll constantly search for inhalers and more palatable flavors), many advocates are noxious, and it didn't seem to modulate side effects of my medication as well. I'm back to snus, which is discreet (I've snused in conference rooms and while scuba diving), and provides a rather smooth delivery of nicotine and whatever other tobacco compounds aid my anxiety.

• Informative x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nicotine, vaping

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users