Photo
- - - - -

Resveratrol Source

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:58 AM

I am interested in Nature's Way Resveratrol. It is significantly cheaper than Longevinex, but I suspect that per pill, it's not as good. However, for the same price as Longevinex, I could take 4x the recommended dosage. Any idea which would give the largest bang for the buck? It probably comes down to quality vs. quantity.

#2 cellfighter

• 97 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:12 AM

Foodscience makes the best one.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

There is speculation that Product B is Nature's Way (because 75mg of resveratrol is relatively unique). Per pill it contains roughly the same amount of trans-resveratrol and in about the same ratio as Longevinex. If it is just about the trans-resveratrol content, Product B given high enough dosage should be the same as the Longivenex (assuming Product B doesn't degrade significantly before you consume it).

Check this out from the Longevinex web site:

Posted Image

#4 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:42 PM

Um, Nature's way is 75mg per serving, a serving consists of 2 caps. so one cap is 37.5mg. Maybe the wording of the above chart is imprecise and they meant the serving size and not "per pill" or it's not nature's way that is the product in the test.

#5 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

Longivex is riding the wave of hype for all it's worth, IMO. They keep alive the rumors that oxygen and light rapidly degrade resveratrol for which there does not seem to be any readily available evidence and there is evidence to the contrary. There is also some controversy about how much res is in each Longivex tab. Buy from a reputable company for less and save money.

#6 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:03 PM

If you do a froogle search on Nature's Way Resveratrol, it's sold out just about everywhere that sells it for under $14, and that's not including shipping.

#7 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:00 PM

I bought some res at iherb and got it right away. The price wasn't bad. I think they gave me a $5 discount on the first order and free shipping over $60 or so.

#8 Agarikon

• 45 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:34 PM

Nature’s way better step up supply to meet demand.

Regarding longevinex. I don't buy the whole oxygen and light issue. .. The plants used for all these resveratrol supplements probably come from the same suppliers, who most likely grow their plants in an environment with oxygen and light, and process the plants in an environment with oxygen and light, and ship the plants...ect.

I say it’s damn good marketing...longevinex has successfully un-commoditized itself on the basis of one issue …which, as of now, I don’t buy.

#9 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

Um, Nature's way is 75mg per serving, a serving consists of 2 caps. so one cap is 37.5mg. Maybe the wording of the above chart is imprecise and they meant the serving size and not "per pill" or it's not nature's way that is the product in the test.

Or maybe Longivenix screwed up and Prod B really is Nature's Way (no way to double check because we don't know for sure which brand is product B)? 35.54 is pretty close to 37.5mg claimed per pill by Nature's Way.

#10 mitkat

• 1,948 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

who most likely grow their plants in an environment with oxygen and light

LOL [thumb]

#11 Agarikon

• 45 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

Yes, I snuck in a little sarcasm in my previous post which was mostly likely caused by breathing oxygen in a light filled room.

#12 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:46 PM

Or maybe Longivenix screwed up and Prod B really is Nature's Way (no way to double check because we don't know for sure which brand is product B)?  35.54 is pretty close to 37.5mg claimed per pill by Nature's Way.

That would be my totaly prefered way to explain it :-) i'd actually buy that stuff right away if it were the case as it would end up beeing a very good option since it has redwine extract not trimmed to resveratrol in it too. 5 caps would make my day (at ~55kg bodyweight if one cap really is like 35.54mg. i also take pomeratrol which has on label like 20mg resveratrol taking the combined stuff to 220mg i.e. 5mg/kg/d for me)

ah well...

#13 smcracraft

• 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

Personally I'd avoid non-Longevinex/non-Longevatrol brands because of
potential impurities and higher cis-resveratrol.

With something this important, I don't want contamination.

Only Longevinex and Longevatrol are Pfizer Licaps protected.

#14 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:41 PM

smcracraft, you are a vendor or have a financial interest in this, don't you?

What gets me is the number of people who totally believe the oxygen and light hype with no evidence at all. I asked Bill Sardi to back up his claims and he didn't reply of course. All people do is say they believe it. I'm always the stubborn one who asks for proof.

#15 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:37 PM

Don't forget the original NSI resveratrol product as a possibility for the 75mg resveratrol capsule. That one actually lists 37.5mg trans-resveratrol per capsule on the label. They do specify trans-resveratrol -- I wonder how accurate that value is? I also wonder if they released their new Licaps-encapsulated version of resveratrol because the degradation problem is real or because they just wanted to profit from those concerns generated by Longevinex's marketing efforts? Hmm...

Maybe it really does degrade at some significant rate, but would not pose a problem if you consumed the product within X (3, or 6, whatever) months of manufacture? That's the kind of dirty little secret that could save us alot of money if it were proved true. With all the resveratrol craze lately, and suppliers struggling to churn out resveratrol fast enough, the NSI and Nature's Way bottles I bought last week were actually manufactured in November. Still have that "new resveratrol smell". :)

#16 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:26 PM

Don't forget the original NSI resveratrol product as a possibility for the 75mg resveratrol capsule.  That one actually lists 37.5mg trans-resveratrol per capsule on the label.  They do specify trans-resveratrol -- I wonder how accurate that value is?  I also wonder if they released their new Licaps-encapsulated version of resveratrol because the degradation problem is real or because they just wanted to profit from those concerns generated by Longevinex's marketing efforts?  Hmm...

Maybe it really does degrade at some significant rate, but would not pose a problem if you consumed the product within X (3, or 6, whatever) months of manufacture?  That's the kind of dirty little secret that could save us alot of money if it were proved true.  With all the resveratrol craze lately, and suppliers struggling to churn out resveratrol fast enough, the NSI and Nature's Way bottles I bought last week were actually manufactured in November.  Still have that "new resveratrol smell".  :)

I strongly agree with the sentiments in this post.

#17 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:50 PM

It is easy to believe what we want to believe. From the discussion above, I do not think that the arguments for Longevinex's packaging have been properly evaluated. Bill Sardi references two publications which supposedly support his points (I cannot check as I do not have access to them). Why has not the relevancy of these publishings or the evidence they provide or do not provide been discussed? Certainly, this should settle the matter.

A larger issue appears to be the stability of resveratrol as a drug or dietary supplement. It is subject to photo-induced isomerization upon exposure to light, and further degradation by oxygen and heat, which can alter it from its more active trans resveratrol form to its lesser active cis resveratrol form. [Journal Agriculture Food Chemistry 44: 1253-57] Only a few published reports even bring up this topic. [Neurosignals 14:61-70, 2005]

http://www.longevine...r...g Pill 2005

#18 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:33 AM

I think I found some good evidence that it was Nature's Way resveratrol that was the mysterious "product B" noted in the Longevinex site. A Mr. Conrad Roland posted some interesting info at Ouroburos this week about his 4+ years of resveratrol supplementation. He seems to be a man of some means since he is spending over $15K a year on supplements/food. He claims to have had three resveratrol supplements assayed at a lab in Hawaii.

I am one of the few true resveratrol pioneers. I have been taking resveratrol since 2002, at that time in small quantities, to prevent and “treat” BCC skin cancer, cardiovascular, and prostate problems.
Since 2003 I have been taking resveratrol supplements from Solaray, Longevinex, and Nature’s Way - in high doses of 3 times daily 3×20 mg = average 180-200 mg/day.
I had three brands tested in October 2005 at a reputable laboratory in Honolulu. All three brands (Longevinex, Solaray, LEF) showed about the same amount of trans-resveratrol - min.17.5 mg/cap., max. 20.8 mg/cap.I am now using 3 x 3 caps. = 9 caps. ea. 33 mg trans-resveratrol
(estimate, not tested yet) from Nature’s Way, total 300 mg/day !
We will do more testing within the next 2 weeks.
Both Solaray and Nature’s Way ingredients are “synergistic” including other grape polyphenols, which may be an important aspect. There are some other “honest” brands, but the “400 mg”
deal appears to be too good, no specification (other brands do show precise figures), lots of hype and probably little truth at all.
We will include it in our test.
Believe the scientists, but be very critical of some of the promoters and, just as much, of some of the recent voices saying it is just another fad etc., probably voices from the pharmaceutical industry.
Resveratrol is a truly marvellous molecule. Make sure you take enough of it to make any noticeable difference in your health.
There are a few caveats that the public needs to now.
Resveratrol and a whole family of plant-derived similar compounds called polyphenols and beyond, phytochemicals, act in many different ways inside and outside the human cell by modulating signaling pathways, transcription factors, genes and enzymes -
the benefits of resveratrol go FAR BEYOND its activity as antioxidant and as activator of the SIRT1 gene/enzyme. The literature on resveratrol ( and curcumin, genistein, tea catechins, pomegranate,
silibinin, quercetin, proanthocyanidins/grape seed extract etc.)
and its amazing beneficial effects is growing daily, check PubMed.
There is a 679 page book on Resveratrol edited by Prof. Bharat Aggarwal of M.D.Anderson Cancer Center, Houston; there are
review articles by Prof. David Sinclair et al.
This is not just about sirtuins and “antioxidants”, it is about modulating cellular/nuclear events with small molecules to prevent and treat degenerative diseases including heart disease and diabetes, various cancers, alzheimer’s. Resveratrol plays beneficial roles in many of these diseases.
Finally, I am combining resveratrol ( and 15 other phytochemical supplements) with calorie restriction (CR) and optimal nutrition (ON) with the result of unbelievably good health at age 72.
(My BMI is 17.5, BP 100/60, HDL >75, etc.)

http://ouroboros.wor...re/#comment-389

Roland has a large number of posts on the CR boards that I highly recommend. He also appears to personally know Harry Highkin who was mentioned in the latest WSJ article.

Harry Highkin, a retired biologist in Kailua Kona, Hawaii, takes resveratrol by the fistful, popping 36 capsules -- or 1.44 grams -- every day. Though there's no scientific evidence to back him up, Dr. Highkin credits the supplements with keeping him alive after he was diagnosed with a rare precursor of leukemia in 2000. He turned 89 this month.

http://www.imminst.o...6&t=13287&st=20

From CR boards:

> [May I ask: Who here is taking resveratrol? At what dosage? From whom?
> At what cost?]

I am doing both - lots of CR and lots of resveratrol.

I have been taking resveratrol since 2001/2002, I am one of the human
resveratrol "pioneers"..... I started taking  it in an attempt to deal with
basal cell carcinoma. At the time it was very hard to find any decent
products containing even microgram quantities of  resveratrol.

For the last three years I have been taking resveratrol at high doses
(always on an empty stomach, 3-4 times daily 20-30 min. before meals):

a) in 2003 from Solaray, average 3 x 1 caps. ea. approx. 18 mg = 54 mg/day.

b) in 2004/2005 from Longevinex, average dose 4 x 1 caps. ea. approx. 20 mg
= 80 mg/day ( I have done my own testing of trans-resveratrol contents...).
In August 2005 I raised the dose to 4 x 2 caps. = approx. 160 mg/day.

c) Since April 2006 from Nature's Way, 3 x 3 caps. ea. approx. 30 mg = 270
mg, perhaps "only" 200 mg trans-resveratrol. Sometimes I take as many as 4 x
3 x 30 mg = 360 mg, say 300 mg trans-resveratrol plus several other red wine
polyphenols.

H. H., a friend of mine with myeloid dysplasia, has consumed up to 5 x 6
caps. (Longevinex) ea. min. 20 mg = approx. 600 mg trans-resveratrol/day,
presumably with beneficial results, and no known side effects

I have done the high-dose resveratrol regimen mainly to deal with health
issues such as skin, cardiovascular, and prostate problems.

I started CR in January 2006, going from 19.6 to 17.5 BMI in September 2006.
In addition to CR plus resveratrol I am taking 15-25 additional supplements,
especially very high doses of camellia teas  (white, green, oolong, black)
as extracts as well as 16 - 24 small cups of tea.

Total result in October 2006:
No new BCC skin cancer despite of 20-30 min. daily sun exposure, perfect
heart health (despite of MI in 98), and a prostate as good as new (after a
serious scare with 10.9 PSA 16 months ago). My lab results can prove all of
my claims. However, this is the combined result of 25% CR, optimal
nutrition, high-dose resveratrol AND many other phytochemicals (optimal
supplementation) and exercise.

I call it CR+ON+OS+EX.

At what cost?
Resveratrol: 3 x 3 x $0.30 / caps. = $ 2.70 / day x 30 = $ 81 / month.
My total phytochemical regimen including high-quality food and drink: $1.200
- $1.500 per month. This is very high, but for almost perfect health and no
medical expenses at all except for frequent testing, it's worth it, if .....
one can afford it for a few years.....

Here is my account to David Sinclair in November 2004, after a total of
about 18 months on supplemental resveratrol - in addition to 2 glasses of
red wine almost daily:

David,
here are my new test results as of 11/16/2004 - after 9 months on
Longevinex.
A significant improvement appears to be the much lower glucose level.
HDL has dropped somewhat (reason unknown), but still exceptionally high.

The new test results are very good (except for iron, still high, but it has
dropped from 192  to 168 ug/dL as a result of taking IP6 (Solaray) for three
months. I will double the dose from 1 capsule to 2/day ) :

Dates of tests:          11/16/2004 (09/02/2004, 04/06/2004; plus 4 tests
                                  in 2003)

Total cholesterol      188  (206, 219; 185, 168, 191, 159)
Triglycerides                48  (53, 48; 51, 49, 83, 52
HDL                            84  (94, 94; 78, 63, 67, 62)
LDL                              94  (101, 115; 97, 95, 107, 87)
Total Chol/HDL ratio      2.2 (2.2, 2.33; 2.4, 2.7, 2.8, 2.6)

Glucose (fasting)        78  (102, 93; 88, 95, 89, one missing)
Iron, total                          168  (192, 155, no data for 2003)

Comments from CR:
I have been taking 4 capsules/day of Longevinex since March 2004.
I have added 2-3 capsules/day of Fo-Ti (He Shou Wu, Tetrahydroxystilbene)
from Solaray, 610 mg/capsule, since September 2004.
I have added 1-2 caps/day of 10 mg Lycopene since November 2004 and/or
canned tomato paste + olive oil.
I am eating almost every day one 7.5 ounce can of wild salmon (from
VitalChoice) plus blueberries and raspberries and lots of vegetables ......
Above test results reflect not only the amazing results of
Longevinex/Resveratrol in a daily quantity of 20-60 mg, but also my very
healthy eating habits AND additional resveratrol from 3-4 glasses of red
wine ( mostly Pinot Noir from Cal. and Oregon, and Cabernets/Merlots from
Australia, Chile and Argentina).

For a straightforward scientific test I am a rather useless guinea pig, but
the complex, combined "nutritional picture" shows results that are truly
amazing - and Longevinex plays a major role in these results as exemplified
by HDL values of 94,94,84 mg/dL which could not be otherwise obtained.
Also, the reduction of glucose seems to be largely attributable to
Longevinex / resveratrol and SIRT 1 activation ? !

And there is new hair growth on top of my head in spots that have not seen a
single hair for the last twentyfive years. Part or all of this seems to be
the result of Fo-Ti/tetrahydroxystilbene or a combination of resveratrol,
tri-hydroxystilbene, with tetra-hydroxystilbene.

Finally, my blood pressure is perfect. Here are readings for the past two
weeks:  (syst./diast./ bpm heart rate)
103/63/63, 96/60/69, 96/55/67, 106/67/64, 114/66/63, 104/62/70, 109/68/66,
98/58/69, 99/59/71, 102/59/67, 96/51/66, 92/51/64, 82/45/71 (strange),
98/59/71, 102/67/66, 95/53/65, . . .
(Remember, this guy had a heart attack seven years ago . . . )

Best regards and Aloha
from
Conrad

P.S.
I am very curious, how some of the tetrahydroxystilbenes would score on the
Biomol sirtuin 1 activation test, alone or in combination with resveratrol
(and quercetin). In particular, I am thinking of
2,3,4',5-Tetrahydroxystilbene derived from Polygonum multiflorum ("He shou
wu"), and of
3,3',4',5-Tetrahydroxystilbene = Astringinin, derived from red wine (?),
and other tetrahydroxystilbenes such as Oxyresveratrol from Morus alba.
That one additional oxygen atom = additional hydroxyl group and the position
of the -OH on the rings seem to make a lot of difference.

P.S. NOVEMBER 1, 2006
Some of my indicators (lipids, BP, HR) have improved even more since
starting CR. I have posted some of my test results on the list.
My body temperature is now quite low, mostly between 95.5 and 96.5 oF.
After exercising as low as 94-95.

http://lists.calorie...ber/002050.html

Scroll down to his other posts. http://lists.calorie...uthor.html#2050
Someone should shoot him an email and ask him to post the latest results on resveratrol supplement testing he is having done in Hawaii. Thanks Conrad!

#19 Ghostrider

• Topic Starter
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:13 AM

Huh, he's been using Nature's Way I see. He's gone for cheaper, but high quantity megadose approach.

#20 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:38 PM

Oh snap:

1: J Med Food. 2006 Spring;9(1):11-4.

Resveratrol and its glycon piceid are stable polyphenols.

Prokop J, Abrman P, Seligson AL, Sovak M.

Interpharma Praha, a.s., Prague, Czech Republic.

Plant extracts containing phytopolyphenols, including resveratrol, are
extensively used as nutraceutical supplements. Recent reports allege their lack
of stability at ambient conditions. We have studied the stability of resveratrol
and its glycon piceid in a mixture with a whole grape extract for 2 years
(long-term stability) under Good Manufacturing Practice pharmaceutical protocols
(at 60% humidity and 25 degrees C). The neat compounds were followed for 4 years
under conditions of "accelerated stability," at 75% humidity and 40 degrees C,
all in the presence of ambient air. Chromatographic analysis did not detect any
instability, thus disproving the claims to the opposite. No storage precautions
are necessary for these nutritional supplements.

PMID: 16579722 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 05 December 2006 - 05:55 PM.

#21 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:54 PM

An excerpt from a related post by Conrad on the CR list:

Some resveratrol testing has been done at my request in October 2005
at the Hawaii Agricultural Research Center in Honolulu by the Analytical
Chemist Mel C. Jackson, Ph.D.:

3 different Longevinex capsules showed trans-resveratrol contents of
20.79, 17.55, 17.36 mg/cap., from 3/2004, 5/2005, and 9/2005, respectively.

1 resveratrol capsule from LEF showed trans-resveratrol contents of
18.79 mg/cap., from 3/2005.

2 resveratrol casules from Solaray showed trans-resveratrol contents of
19.23 and 15.07 mg/cap., from 12/2003 (!) and 9/2005, respectively.

We also tested for quercetin and for cis-resveratrol.

There was no indication of excessive cis-resveratrol contents (conversion)
as a result of deterioration/ de-stabilization of the molecule (2.92 mg/cap.
in the 9/2005 product from Longevinex, none in Solaray or LEF).

Obviously you can't make too big a deal over a single test, but does anyone else find it more than a little ironic that out of those three products tested, the only one with any measurable cis-resveratrol was Longevinex? That is good for a chuckle (and an "Oh Snap!" or two). ;)

Edited by FunkOdyssey, 05 December 2006 - 06:06 PM.

#22 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:14 PM

"That is good for a chuckle (and an "Oh Snap!" or two)."

Yep.

#23 Agarikon

• 45 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

wow, it really looks like there is no justification to buy resveratrol at 100% + above market price (longevinex).

#24 health_nutty

• 2,410 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:05 PM

wow, it really looks like there is no justification to buy resveratrol at 100% + above market price (longevinex).

Ironically it was Longevinex's website comparing Longevinex to other resveratrol supplements that convinced me of this. The other products all had significant amounts of trans-resveratrol and the ratio of trans to cis looked decent as well.

#25 VP.

• 498 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 04:22 AM

I think Conrad has a lot of good info to offer. Do take the time to check out his posts. Here is his latest, which is a re-post of some of his earlier stuff. He is not really pleased at Longevinex's promotional tactics. I would like to see ConsumerLab.com replicate the Hawaiian lab's results before I make a judgement.

> Thanks for the valuable information A. J. Shaka.
> Do you have any recomendations for buying resveratrol?

Here is what I wrote several weeks ago, with some additions of today:

The best and most cost-effective product on the market at the moment
appears to be

"Resveratrol,  Synergistic Formula, 37.5 mg Resveratrol" (for 1 capsule)
from Nature's Way.

(37.5 mg resveratrol per capsule may include some cis-resveratrol*, which is
an isomer of trans-resveratrol as a result of UV exposure and storage
oxidation, so each capsule may contain about 30 mg trans-resveratrol.)

60 Vcaps, Retail price between $18-21 depending on discounts, which works
out like $0.30 to $0.35 per capsule.

This product is a very good, balanced mixture of trans-resveratrol from
Japanese Knotweed (Polygonum cuspidatum), high content per capsule,
with other polyphenols from Red Wine Extract (which would include some
piceatannol, quercetin, catechins, and phenolic acids etc.), and Grape Seed
Extract containing additional polyphenols such as proanthocyanidins.
It's all derived from grapes including the Red Wine Powder. This is all
about potential synergy of all major and minor polyphenolic ingredients in
grapes - as opposed to extracting just one isolated component, which is
trans-resveratrol. There has been exiting research done on the synergistic
effects of (whole) grape cell culture extracts by Mary Ann Lila et al. 2005.
Resveratrol and many other (small molecule) phytochemicals are very
important in many ways other than activating the SIRT1 gene/enzyme
(which is the main selling argument by one manufacturer.....).

(I have no financial interest in this product whatsoever, I just prefer it,
for good reasons, over some of the other resveratrol products, which make
claims that are not sufficiently, scientifically substantiated - stability
claims, resveratrol content claims, etc. - don't necessarily believe it....)

Of course, some of the other resveratrol products presently on the market
are quite good and potent (Solaray, LEF), but some are not, beware.

Some products combine resveratrol with other compounds such as quercetin,
IP6 (rice bran extract), lecithin, L-carnitine, alpha-lipoic acid etc.
This may not be a bad idea as long as the daily dose remains relatively low,
a few capsules per day. But for high-dose ingestion such as 10 to 15 to 20,
even 30 capsules per day, the "additives" may be detrimental - except for
other phytochemicals that appear to be safe at equally high doses such as
pomegranate extract (LEF), grape seed extract, green tea etc.
(Quercetin seems to be one exception, because it may act bi-phasic, and it
inhibits beneficial eNOS activation, which may be one of the heart-healthy
effects of resveratrol !)
(Paragraph added on 12/5/06)

Dosing: Nobody really knows what should or would be an appropriate,
adequate, effective dose of resveratrol for humans, not even D.S.
We have been experimenting over the last 3 years (see my previous post)
with anything from one capsule per day (average 20 mg/caps.) to 4 or 6 or 9
or 15 caps./day, up to 30 caps./day with a total resveratrol content of
about 600 mg. Perhaps ten times that amount would be needed for therapeutic
effects on cancers ( I am presently taking approx. a total of 3500 mg/day of
tea catechins and theaflavins as extracts, and including the tea I drink).

High potencies of resveratrol or similar compounds may be achieved through
modifications of the molecule or - by combination with other polyphenols
or phytochemicals resulting in synergistic effects such as 50 - 100 times
greater potency than each compound separately (example: green tea EGCG
combined with vanilloids such as capsaicin / cayenne) - amazing!

Depending on what you want to achieve I would suggest to take not less than
3 times daily 1 capsule before meals, better 3 x 2 caps. or 3 x 3 caps.
(that's my daily resveratrol dose).
If I had cancer or Alzheimer's or serious cardiovascular disease, I would
experiment, totally at my own risk, with higher doses up to 15 or even 30
caps./day ( about 300/450 to 600/900 mg/day depending on product potency).
However, resveratrol has also a "dark side", it can be bi-phasic, which
means activate a transcription factor at one dose and inhibit it at another,
much higher or lower dose. My file on polyphenols behaving strangely and
unexpectedly, "surprisingly, we found...", (quercetin and curcumin are in
this group as well) is growing....

Until a lot more research has been done on proper application and dosing of
these amazing little molecules, we can either use them to our potential
advantage or stay away from them until all research has been done, all
conclusions and consensus properly reached - and we are long dead .
I prefer a little risk taking for myself.
Don't forget to drink some deep dark red-purple Red Wine tonight high in
resveratrol - no danger of over-dosing on resveratrol there.

OLA LOA from Hawaii

Roland

*) cis-resveratrol is by no means useless, as one manufacturer wants to make
us believe. There are several papers to be found on the beneficial effects
of cis-resveratrol in PubMed including modulation of the NF-kappaB pathway:

Int Immunopharmacol. 2005 Feb;5(2):393-406.

Effect of cis-resveratrol on genes involved in nuclear factor kappa B
signaling.

Leiro J, Arranz JA, Fraiz N, Sanmartin ML, Quezada E, Orallo F.

Laboratorio de Parasitologia, Instituto de Investigacion y Analisis
Alimentarios, Universidad de Santiago de Compostela, Av. Constatino Candeira
s/n, 15782 Santiago de Compostela, Spain. mpleiro at usc.es

This study investigated for the first time the effects of the cis isomer of
RESV (c-RESV), a polyphenol present in red wine, on an array of genes whose
expression is controlled by nuclear factor kappa B (NF-kappaB) and whose
transcriptional activation is critical in a number of pathologies (including
some cardiovascular diseases). In inflammatory peritoneal macrophages
stimulated with lipopolysaccharide (LPS) and gamma interferon (IFN-gamma),
c-RESV significantly blocked the expression of genes related to the
REL/NF-kappaB/IkappaB family, adhesion molecules and acute-phase proteins;
however, the greatest modulatory effect was obtained on the expression of
genes related to the pro-inflammatory cytokines. c-RESV down-regulated the
nuclear factor of kappa light chain gene enhancer in B-cells 1 (NFkappaBL1)
gene product p105 and up-regulated the nuclear factor of kappa light chain
gene enhancer in B-cells inhibitor alpha (IkappaBalpha) gene. c-RESV also
significantly inhibited intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) gene
expression and the transmembrane receptors RIP (receptor TNFRSF) and TLR3
(toll-like receptor 7). At 100 muM, c-RESV significantly inhibited
transcription of Scya2 (chemokine MCP-1), the chemokine RANTES (regulated on
activation, normal T cell expressed and secreted), pro-inflammatory
cytokines that attract monocyte-granulocyte cells such as M-CSF
(colony-stimulating factor 1), GM-CSF (colony-stimulating factor 2) and
G-CSF (colony-stimulating factor 3), the cytokine tumor growth factor beta
(TGF-beta) and the extracellular ligand IL-1alpha. In contrast, c-RESV
stimulated transcription of the pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-6 and tumor
necrosis factor alpha (TNF-alpha), the extracellular ligand IL-1beta, and
the IFN regulatory factor (IRF)-1. In conclusion, c-RESV has a significant
modulatory effect on the NF-kappaB signaling pathway and, consequently, an
important antioxidant role that may partially explain the cardioprotective
effects attributed to long-term moderate red wine consumption.

P.S.
It is regrettable that a certain resveratrol manufacturer disregards and/or
distorts scientific findings ..... to put it mildly...... (look at their
website!)
cis-resveratrol's action seems to be somewhat weaker for structural reasons,
but I bet a lot of money that cis-resveratrol will also activate the SIRT1
gene,  but to a lesser degree than trans-resveratrol (Sinclair et al. 2003).
Stilbenes without the hydroxyl groups rate according to suppl. table 1:
trans-stilbene  1.48 +/-0.15,  cis-stilbene 1.14 +/-0.29 !

There are several other potent activators of the SIRT1 gene/enzyme such as
piceatannol (contained in grapes, red wine), genistein (isoflavone from
soy), quercetin (grapes, apples, onions etc.), inositol hexaphosphate IP6
from rice bran, fisetin, kaempferol, apigenin, etc.
So while we eat nutritious CRON chow containing lots of phytochemicals, we
inadvertantly ingest several SIRT1 activators. It helps to add a glass of
red wine or - do the big bang and take 10 or 20 resveratrol pills. Moa betta
fo da ola loa.

CR
12/5/2006

http://lists.calorie...ber/002800.html

#26 mirian

• 166 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 07:39 PM

UPDATE: DECEMBER 30, 2006

Iherb.com is now selling a brand new Resveratrol supplement called: Resveratrol Plus made by Country Life.

It has a whopping 100mg of Trans-resveratrol per Vcap. I emailed Country life and their nutritionist confirmed 100mg of Trans-Resveratrol for each Vcap.

Nature´s Way lists just 37.5mg of Resveratrol per Vcap. Country life is almost triple the dose per Vcap of Resveratrol. Plus, Country Life´s still gives same amount of Grape Seed Extract per Vcap. So, take 3 or 6 Vcaps daily as shown giving 150mg or 300mg of Grape Seed Extract daily which lowers blood pressure (Currently, Licap Resveratrol brands you´d need to buy GSE separately making them even more expensive):

http://www.newswise....es/view/519079/

The extra bonus is you even get around 25mg of Pine Bark Extract per Country Life Vcap. Nature´s Way gives no Pine Bark Extract. So, the Pine bark extract addition and the almost triple the dose of Resveratrol per Vcaps makes the $2.60 more per bottle still a steal. Order a large amount and get 10%+ off. Iherb.com never charges slaes tax even to California residents. They are free UPS ground shipping over $60 orders.

I was the one that first gave this forum. The heads up on Longevinex´s own test showed Nature´s Way Resveratrol being about the dose of Longevinex.

I wouldn´t waste one red cent on NSI brand products. They are based out of Florida. The United States Homeland for scams. NSI´s ORAC scores for many of their basic and cheap NSI Brand Multivitamins seem exaggerated ! I´ve emailed vitacost.com before who are the exclusive sellers of their house brand being NSI and asked if they were GMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) like many supplement companies like NOW, Country Life, etc. They said no. I don´t trust them one bit.

I´m now starting a regimen of taking 1 or 2 Country Life Vcaps with 1 or 2 Jarrow Quercetin capsules, and 1 Jarrow PC 35 softgel three times daily around every 8 hours. Journals say both Lecithin and Quercetin improve Resveratrol´s absorption, and that Resveratrol stays active up to 9 hours in the body.

Please stop the bickering in this forum over whether or not Licaps are better. Once again, it´s already been proven by Longevinex´s own March 15, 2006 study that all the brands were within about 5mg of their claimed Trans-Resveratrol content.

This means Country Life even if just has say even 90mg of Trans-resveratrol per Vcap that´s still the highest, yet.

The biggest thing one needs to remember with Longevinex is that it doesn´t say 40mg of Trans-Resveratrol anywhere on the label just at Longevinex.com

This means Longevinex people could have known the results sometime before showing. Posted on the website saying 40mg Trans-Resveratrol merely because that´s the closest round number to what Longevinex was testing out at.

Longevinex refuses to even mention who Product B is. Even, after being asked by email !

Again, NSI and Longevinex use Licaps because they hold liquids. Pinot Noir remains the largest dietary source of Trans-Resveratrol because Journals show the sulfites used as preservatives help preserve the Trans-resveratrol. So, an Organic Pinot Noir isn´t advised. Trader Joe´s has a Pinot Noir for just $4.99 to $6.99 plus tax.

You need an airtight container with liquids to prevent from spoiling. Just like liquid ascorbic acid doesn´t last long neither does liquid Resveratrol. This is why they make Ascorbic acid capsules and resveratrol capsules. They don´t spoil like a liquid might. The over 90 types of Rhinoviruses that cause the common cold or the flu only live up to 48 hours on a dry surface. HIV even though a virus (RNA type) has shown to live up to 11 days in raw sewage, yet in dry form has yet to be a documented transmission.

Apparently, good things (Ascorbic Acid, Resveratrol) tend to last longer is dry form. Bad things (Fungus, Bacteria, Viruses, etc) tend to last longer in a moist or liquid environment like the human body provides.

In Summary, remember three things when in doubt:

1. Longevinex´s own study proves virtually all different brands which aren´t even using Licaps like Longevinex does. Do have about the Resveratrol amount shown on the label.

2. When thinking about Longevinex who use Titanium Dioxide think:

http://caprofile.net...IDEwarning.html

http://www.mercola.c..._sunscreens.htm

3. What I said earlier about liquid vs. dry Resveratrol:

http://www.drweil.com/u/QA/QA326613/

I have an article of Dr. Weil's Feb. 2006 newsletter Self Healing that says:

Q: Are liquid vitamins better than pills forms ?

A: "In my opinion, the only real advantage of liquid vitamins is for those who have difficulty swallowing pills, like elderly people or children. Otherwise, I wouldn't recommend them in place of vitamin tablets or capsules as they are typically more expensive and, despite manufacturers' claims, they're not better absorbed or more potent. Vitamin pills might also have a longer shelf life than liquid forms."

Remind you any of Longevinex's claims being liquid and highly absorbable ?

I believe the only reason why Dr. David Sinclair, his family, and half his lab may take Longevinex at 5mg per KG of body weight is simply because Dr. Sinclair helped Bill Sardi the owner of Longevinex create the product. So, Dr. Sinclair may get free or close enough to free Longevinex. Who wouldn´t take it at that point.

If you´re so worried about Trans-Resveratrol converting to Cis-Resveratrol just do the same things you would with even Longevinex. Keep in a cool environment.

Keep your empty glass Country Life Resveratrol Plus bottles. When you´ve collected 14 bottles you´ll have enough to have a weeks supplement regimen with you like even while traveling. So, you just need to do your supplements once a week instead of daily.

When doing your supplements only have lights on from a distance not directly, and dimly lit. Better safe than sorry. Your enemies are heat and light. Place huge orders in winter. Avoid ordering in the Summer. Better to have a little older supplements not exposed to high heat than new supplements exposed to high heat !

Some studies indicate you may need to take 300+mg to obtain a better deal of benefits. Up until Country Life´s Resveratrol Plus that wasn´t really for anybody but the rich. In a nutshell, take whichever supplement states the most actual Resveratrol per Capsule on the label which at this time is Country Life.

#27 rflalonde

• 20 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 08:46 PM

Oh my, too late! I just ordered 24 bottles of Nature's Way Resveratrol from iHerb.com. They are charging only $10.00 a bottle, and since I ordered $240 or more of product, I got a discount of 13%, making the product $7.70 a bottle, plus free shipping. Better luck next time, I guess.

#28 luminous

• 269 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 10:38 PM

Quote from above: "Only Longevinex and Longevatrol are Pfizer Licaps protected."

What does this mean, exactly? If this statement implies "sealed tight" I beg to differ. I ordered and received a batch of Longevinex, and a few of them have quite easily opened up within in their protective bubbles, spilling the encapsulated liquid when I tried to push the capsules out through the thin aluminum backing. The liquid stains everything in sight, including my fingers, so I'd best take my Longevinex over a sink. Or not take them at all. The liquid doesn't have a particularly pleasant odor, either. Right now, I don't know if I should continue with Longevinex. I'm considering trying something else. Country Life sounds like a good alternative.

#29 curious_sle

• 464 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:21 PM

I waited a while and evaluated all available resveratrol products and got lucky with country life. It certainly is the most cost effective product right now. A big plus in my book is the pinebark extract (21mg proanthocyanidins) besides the small part grape seed 50mg (47,5mg flavonoids) and grapeskin 25mg it's excellent. Plus that way it mimics the conditions in a study that showed that resveratrol mixed with grapeseed extract was stable after 3 years.

Simply great.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 xanadu

• 1,917 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

I was saying a while back that the price is going to come down so don't load up at today's price even with a discount. That's always the way it is. Good sig, curious_sle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users