• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 4 votes

Did Nootropics work for you?

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

Poll: So, Did Nootropics work for you? (644 member(s) have cast votes)

So, Did Nootropics work for you?

1. I have not tried Nootropics, so it is not applicable. (68 votes [10.73%])

Percentage of vote: 10.73%

2. No. (51 votes [8.04%])

Percentage of vote: 8.04%

3. No, and I did not feel well while taking them. (18 votes [2.84%])

Percentage of vote: 2.84%

4. I don't know. (56 votes [8.83%])

Percentage of vote: 8.83%

5. Yes, but unfortunately I did not feel well while taken them. (19 votes [3.00%])

Percentage of vote: 3.00%

6. Yes, and the results are very subtle yet positive. (140 votes [22.08%])

Percentage of vote: 22.08%

7. Yes, and the results are more than subtle and positive. (103 votes [16.25%])

Percentage of vote: 16.25%

8. Yes, and the results are good. (83 votes [13.09%])

Percentage of vote: 13.09%

9. Yes, and the results are great. (96 votes [15.14%])

Percentage of vote: 15.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 kassem23

• 414 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 August 2011 - 06:45 PM

Thanks Kassem23.

I will have to be patient and wait longer to see if effects kick in. May I ask what is your dosage of Piracetam and fish oil? After reading many posts it seemed a choline like ALPHA-GPC was required when using Piracetam. Your thoughts?

It's a myth. I'm not at all convinced acetylcholine precursors are necessary for Piracetam, on the contrary they seem to be able to be very depressionogenic.

I'm taking ~3 grams of Piracetam 5 times á day, in conjunction with 3 grams of fish-oil, 5 times á day.

Totalling, ~15 grams of Piracetam and 15 grams of fish-oil.

#92 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:02 PM

Wow. Where do you get your piracetam kassem? You are taking a lot! Back when Smart Powders carried it I stocked up because it was cheap, but now I have to get it from Cerebral Health and their prices aren't as economical.

If you could share your source for Piracetam, I'd appreciate it. I too am taking it with high dose fish oil and am getting good results. The difference is I only take about 1g of Piracetam per day with about 5g fish oil.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 Zippy123

• 39 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 02:57 AM

Answering the question did Nootropics work for you, yes it did for about 4 days then nothing!

Backround info. 6'2'', 220 pounds. 60 years old. Non-Nootropics taken Klonopin .5mg day/night. Wellbutrin
150mg morning. Both Welbutrin and Klonopin are well tolerated. I have had MRI's and other tests that
have shown no neurological problems

I started out with 1.2g of ALPHA-GPC taken once in the morning. Within 30 minutes I felt I was in a better
mood and was more motivated. Both of these were subtle but definitely felt the effects. This was used for
3 days. Each day the effects were as described and lasted about 5 hours.

I then added 800mg piracetam once in the morning. I could not believe the increased cognitive ability, increased
information retention and recall, motivation. I also no longer had "brain block" where I am talking
to someone and no matter how hard I try I can't come up with the word I need for a sentence. I am a networking
design engineer so I am always studying specs or new technologies. The information just flowed into my
memory and was recalled with ease. I was motivated to study much longer.

The above great results lasted 3 days then crash. All the above improvements vanished. I became very lathergic, "brain block"
returned, no motivation. I tried my go to booster 5 HOUR ENERGY DRINK and I wanted to sleep! Normally
the drink would give me a large amount of energy, instead get me a pillow.

I have tried increasing the piracetam to 3.6g and change the ALPHA_GPC dosage. I also added fish oil as
high as 3g.

When I made a dosage change it was for a max of 3 days. Maybe I need to wait longer for results? I also did
not spread dosages though out the day ( i.e. every 5 hours). I have been trying to come up with a solution
for months now.

Sorry for the long post but after the fantastic results I had for the first few days it is like someone showing you
how you could be then snatching it away.

Slammer, I had the same experience but it was from upping my Zoloft to 300 Mg's that brought me that improved cognitive state. After three weeks it just stopped. My Doctor is clueless as to why I can't reproduce that mental state. He has me trying Modapro and Adderall and - so far - nothing has even come close to what it was during that dance with intellegence. I am on the hunt for something that can help me return to that place. It is so hard to go 'back' to being unmotivated and brain fogged when I know I can be so much more.

When I tried the Piracetam it was good on day one but on day two I just wanted to sleep. Imagine wanting to sleep after taking 20 mg's of adderall, 200 mg's of Modapro and the power dose of the Piracetam!!?? I have since stopped with the Piracetam and am moving on to supplements. Have you tried anything else?

#94 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Wow. Where do you get your piracetam kassem? You are taking a lot! Back when Smart Powders carried it I stocked up because it was cheap, but now I have to get it from Cerebral Health and their prices aren't as economical.

If you could share your source for Piracetam, I'd appreciate it. I too am taking it with high dose fish oil and am getting good results. The difference is I only take about 1g of Piracetam per day with about 5g fish oil.

$80 at CH for a kilo isn't economical? It has to be one of the cheapest noots out there!

Edited by JChief, 28 October 2011 - 08:24 AM.

#95 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

Answering the question did Nootropics work for you, yes it did for about 4 days then nothing!

Backround info. 6'2'', 220 pounds. 60 years old. Non-Nootropics taken Klonopin .5mg day/night. Wellbutrin
150mg morning. Both Welbutrin and Klonopin are well tolerated. I have had MRI's and other tests that
have shown no neurological problems

I started out with 1.2g of ALPHA-GPC taken once in the morning. Within 30 minutes I felt I was in a better
mood and was more motivated. Both of these were subtle but definitely felt the effects. This was used for
3 days. Each day the effects were as described and lasted about 5 hours.

I then added 800mg piracetam once in the morning. I could not believe the increased cognitive ability, increased
information retention and recall, motivation. I also no longer had "brain block" where I am talking
to someone and no matter how hard I try I can't come up with the word I need for a sentence. I am a networking
design engineer so I am always studying specs or new technologies. The information just flowed into my
memory and was recalled with ease. I was motivated to study much longer.

The above great results lasted 3 days then crash. All the above improvements vanished. I became very lathergic, "brain block"
returned, no motivation. I tried my go to booster 5 HOUR ENERGY DRINK and I wanted to sleep! Normally
the drink would give me a large amount of energy, instead get me a pillow.

I have tried increasing the piracetam to 3.6g and change the ALPHA_GPC dosage. I also added fish oil as
high as 3g.

When I made a dosage change it was for a max of 3 days. Maybe I need to wait longer for results? I also did
not spread dosages though out the day ( i.e. every 5 hours). I have been trying to come up with a solution
for months now.

Sorry for the long post but after the fantastic results I had for the first few days it is like someone showing you
how you could be then snatching it away.

Slammer, I had the same experience but it was from upping my Zoloft to 300 Mg's that brought me that improved cognitive state. After three weeks it just stopped. My Doctor is clueless as to why I can't reproduce that mental state. He has me trying Modapro and Adderall and - so far - nothing has even come close to what it was during that dance with intellegence. I am on the hunt for something that can help me return to that place. It is so hard to go 'back' to being unmotivated and brain fogged when I know I can be so much more.

When I tried the Piracetam it was good on day one but on day two I just wanted to sleep. Imagine wanting to sleep after taking 20 mg's of adderall, 200 mg's of Modapro and the power dose of the Piracetam!!?? I have since stopped with the Piracetam and am moving on to supplements. Have you tried anything else?

I noticed that when combining high dose piracetam with alpha GPC I would occasionally experience tiredness and sleep (but sleep well :) ) - what dose were you taking by chance? Where you combining it with choline (I don't think it's really necessary)? I have experienced those "spurts" where a particular drug or supplement has a profound effect which is never experienced again lol. Great examples for me where when I was taking Wellbutrin (bupropion) for a time. Another was taking piracetam combining cannabis. Piracetam still rocks and combines well with it but it was out of the world for me one evening (early on).

As far as removing brain fog: sulbutiamine (900mg). But it is best used occasionally at this dose (maybe just a couple times per week) since you can build a tolerance when taken daily.

Edited by JChief, 28 October 2011 - 08:24 AM.

#96 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:07 AM

$80 at CH for a kilo isn't economical? It has to be one of the cheapest noots out there!

One could get 500g for $20 a year ago.

#97 DWaters

• 1 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

I tried Aniracetam for concentration at first it was noticeable difference in concentrating, then it just kind of fizzled. Needless to say I didn't re-up my stash. I never cared much for Nootropics after that because my first experience was sort of a let down.

Edited by DWaters, 07 November 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#98 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:52 AM

I tried Aniracetam for concentration at first it was noticeable difference in concentrating, then it just kind of fizzled. Needless to say I didn't re-up my stash. I never cared much for Nootropics after that because my first experience was sort of a let down.

Aww don't give up yet. Aniracetam is my least favorite of all the racetams thus far. Give piracetam a try. Maybe throw in some ALCAR for a nice kick in the pants! Just a thought :sleep:

#99 SuperjackDid_

• 528 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:54 PM

Be carefull about ALCAR +Piracetam ,it too stimulate ,my right head really hurt and crash next day,
Ashwagandha carm them down but not worth for learning .

#100 JChief

• 636 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

Be carefull about ALCAR +Piracetam ,it too stimulate ,my right head really hurt and crash next day,
Ashwagandha carm them down but not worth for learning .

I am loving the ALCAR + Piracetam combo I am taking. I am withholding more until I can ensure this continues for at least a week. Granted I am also taking uridine + DHA/EPA so who knows. But 50mg TAU Uridine on empty stomach in the AM, 500mg ALCAR on empty stomach twice per day (morning/afternoon) and 2g fish oil with food twice per day (breakfast/dinner) and Piracetam 2g once or twice per day. Lovin' it! Today I only took one dose of pira and I've been great all day! Well evening for me (I work night shift during the week)..

Edited by JChief, 02 December 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#101 unregistered_user

• 721 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 04:53 AM

One could get 500g for $20 a year ago.

I remember those smartpowder days.

#102 signman

• 13 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

I voted "Yes with subtle but positive results"

- Sulbutiamine - (2) - 300 mg. doses. Increases energy levels and improves mood.

- L-Tyrosine and L-Taurine - 500 mg. each on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Blast of energy that lasts the whole day with mood elevation.

- DL-Phenylalanine - 500 mg. on empty stomach in combo with 2.5 mg. Selegiline. Not happy with the results. The L-Tyrosine and L-Taurine combo is much better.

- L-Glutamine - 500 mg. on empty stomach. Just started taking it, but found positive results.

- Aniracetam and Choline Bitartrate - Did nothing for me. Also suffered headaches even with plenty of Choline.

- Suntheanine L-Theanine - (2) - 100 mg. capsules for anxiety and before bed. Results were way too subtle.

*Here is a cool list of Nootropics: http://www.drugs-for...t_of_Nootropics

#103 jhelms

• 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

Nootropics have had a significant affect on my life. I've been taking them for over a year and have improved alertness during the day and I sleep better at night. I've experimented with a number of different blends but my current mix of Vinpocetine , Huperzine and AcetylLCarnitine, Bacopa, B Vitamins and DMAA has worked best. I think the best bet is to buy a supplement instead of trying to create your own blend.

I plan on continuing using nootropics daily.

Edited by manic_racetam, 22 March 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#104 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I have tried ani, oxi, piracetam, galantamine, vinpo, huperzine, bacopa, gingko, gotu kola, alpha GPC, the only thing that for sure has helped my memory when studying and trying to retain new information is large doses of choline (dihydrogen citrate) at least 2 grams per day...as you get older it is harder to get choline to cross the BBB therefore the large doses are necessary. I am 52 years old.

#105 kagalive1985

• 104 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:46 AM

My two cents...

"Yes and the results were GREAT!"

#106 stablemind

• 520 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

Nootropics have changed the quality of my life from a 3/10 to a 7-8/10

#107 @now

• 100 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

I'd say from a 4 to a 7/10. But YMMV.

#108 lifebuddy

• 156 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:21 AM

For me, nootropics replaced my adderall habit. Adderall made me incredibly productive, but almost too productive because it was at the expense of my relationships with loved ones. Nootropics are a far better solution. A variable combination of Piracetam, Nefiracetam, Pramiracetam & Noopept are my current tops.

#109 natro

• 34 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

[/B]

Which nootropics do you take pinballwizard?

Below is my list. I got to say that a good cardio workout is the equivalent of many nootropics.

15. Vitamin E 1200 IU split into three seperate dosages (keep the dosages consistent on vitamin E, your body does not like E changes)
Pinballwizard

Hmm do you not feel this is way too much Vitamin E? The RDA is like 30IU and even if you wanted more 1200 seems a lot... Also since theirs research that show that vitamin E supplementtion can be bad for you (cancer) especially if you take the synthetic type. You also have to make sure you have vitamin E that is close to the form in nature that has all 4 tocopherols etc...

I posted about this here : http://peakmodernliv...n-e-supplements because after researching vitmain E supplementation I felt it was risky, especially after reading this article by life extension that goes in detail on why it can be bad. http://www.lef.org/m...Increase_01.htm

As far as nootropics goes, I've been trying modafinil and it's quite good to make me more alert. I haven't tried other nootropics yet but I'm curious about piracetam... I probably will try that one next!

Edited by natro, 26 November 2012 - 07:38 AM.

#110 lifebuddy

• 156 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:28 AM

I'd highly recommend any racetam. Piracetam is a great start.
  • dislike x 1

#111 leftside

• 161 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:10 PM

The following stack has taken me from a 4-5 to a 7:

Aniracetam: 1gr * 2
Piracetam: 2gr * 2
ALCAR 500mg * 2
Citicoline 500mg * 2
Centrophenoxine 250mg * 2
Inositol 500mg * 2
Adrafinil 250mg * 1

What hasn't worked:
Gotu Kola
Gingko

What had negative effects:
Bacopa: Made me very groggy/tired.

Adrafinil was only added yesterday, but definitely added a noticible benefit of a little more motivation and mild, smooth stimulant effect. I am going to cycle it as I am worried about losing this effect.

#112 fql

• 146 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:22 PM

Yes. Only took two years.
Lifestyle change, exercise, and nootropics have changed me for the better and I'm happy.
Nootropics: fish oil, multivitamins, and aniracetam gave me the most results.
Nothing much I can say, although if you compare my posts from two years ago to today, you'll read like a reference journal of my improvement.
Thanks guys.

Edited by juryben, 03 December 2012 - 11:23 PM.

#113 avelez

• 25 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:56 AM

I voted "Yes, they're great"
Here's my list in the order I first tried and got into them:

1. Aniracetam - Use these at work for presentation prep during meetings & graphing.
2. Piracetam - Whenever I need to focus on reading material; my wife takes these paired with Pramiracetam when she studies for her LSATs.
3. Oxiracetam - Before the gym - gives me major energy bursts, use with Aniracetam for a REALLY good workout.
4. Pramiracetam - These are like Aniracetam x 100 to me - I use these during major meetings at work.
5. Sulbutamine - My wife likes when I take these as it helps with erections and the like.

Soon will be getting into Noopept and see how that's like. I knew people who were into this stuff before I did and was skeptical at first, but I definitely don't regret getting into it. I've been using the JL nootropics brand so far.. and going to experiment with a few more nootropics.

#114 Suncatcher

• 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:09 PM

Nootropics did work for me but once I also supplemented with TDCS, it was a complete powerhouse.

#115 andrea23

• 82 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

Yes, but unfortunately I did not feel well after taken them.

#116 machete234

• 459 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

The things I tried are such a mixed bag with their own pros and cons that it's really hard to say.
Being able to change mood and energy levels once in a while without using strong psychoactive drugs is a sucess in a way but figuring out what works is a pain.

#117 norepinephrine

• 219 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

It took around a year of research, trial and error, journaling and honest reflection, but ultimately nootropics (and cognitive enhancers) have worked out pretty well for me. I realized early on the importance of diet, meditation, exercise and sleep, but once you get those down there's a very nice marginal gain that the right supplements can provide.

The biggest thing is either benchmarking your regimen against some sort of quantitative test, or actively pushing your intellectual bounds on a daily basis (i.e., major in a demanding study or work in an intensive field). (I never really understand why people post reviews of X substance and remark how good it made them at multitasking Call of Duty with Skype.)

#118 magta39

• 131 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

there are things that have helped me alot...but the biggest lesson learned is to avoid taking everything all the time, must avoid tolerance by taking frequent breaks. I try not to take the same things more than 2 days in a row. I am talking about piracetam, large doses of choline, galantamine, CiLTeP stack, etc.

#119 MrSan

• Inactive User
  • 45 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

Fish oil, matcha tea, caffeine, ALCAR, ALA, 5-HTP and tyrosine (+others I can't remember at the top of my head) worked well for me, but only when I engaged in strenous mental activities. Such as logical thinking, brain exercises etc..

Edited by MrSan, 14 July 2013 - 04:53 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#120 MrRogersBestNeighbor

• 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 11:33 PM

there are things that have helped me alot...but the biggest lesson learned is to avoid taking everything all the time, must avoid tolerance by taking frequent breaks. I try not to take the same things more than 2 days in a row. I am talking about piracetam, large doses of choline, galantamine, CiLTeP stack, etc.

Quoted for truth!

I voted the results have been great, Hydergine and piracetam have been phenomenal for me. I became a 4.0 student once I had started taking Hydergine and have experienced some very noticeable effects with piracetam as well.
However, after about 9 months of Hydergine, while it still has definite positive effects (especially in alleviating of depression), it wasn't nearly as effective as when I had started. So I've found that I probably need to take breaks with it or cycle with another nootropic that has antidepressant properties. I'm about to try Stablon as it sounds promising.
Piracetam I only take about 3-4 days a week (I know that's contrary to many of the studies which strongly suggest it should be taken daily to notice an effect), however I notice an immediate effect when I take it and when I've taken it daily over the course of weeks, it seems to decline in effectiveness to the point where I'm not sure I'd be able to differentiate it from placebo.

I'd also add Adderall/Dexedrine in too, but I'm not sure they classify as nootropics to many (most?). I've felt that Adderall/Dexedrine has given me a permanent and very noticeable increase in overall cognition, which was in fact what lead me to nootropics in the first place (thinking, if Adderall has enhanced cognition for me so much, there must be other drugs/supplements that have a similar capability, perhaps even a better/healthier alternative).

I've also had good results with Centrophenoxine and noopept and subtle results with Adrafinil, Sunifiram and Phenylpiracetam.
Centrophenoxine I've decided to keep. I don't think I'll purchase anymore of the others in the future.
I realize it may appear odd that I had good, clear results with piracetam but not adrafinil, sunifiram and phenylpiracetam as they're all considered much stronger than piracetam. I don't really have any explanation for that, except that maybe I didn't dose appropriately for them. Perhaps I'm sensitive to racetams and any dosage of the stronger ones could have been too much for me (I'd often feel just fatigued, if anything, after taking them and I experience that fatigue when I take any more than 1g of pircetam). Aniracetam, pramiracetam and oxiracetam all had very little to no effect when I've taken them as well, probably for the same reason, I may just have not have found the right dosage.

So far there hasn't been really any nootropic I've tried that I've felt should be taken daily, at least in my case. They all seem to decline in effectiveness for me and pretty rapidly. So I cycle between them over the course of a week (with the exception of Hydergine, which I take daily for months). This seems to reflect the experience of some others in this thread who felt that they lose effectiveness after several days of usage.

Nootropics did work for me but once I also supplemented with TDCS, it was a complete powerhouse.

I'm very curious about this. How do you get your TDCS done? Did you buy a home device? How does it work?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users