* * * * - 1 votes

Your 'must have' supplements

supplement regimen simplified supplement interactions

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:43 PM

What are your must have supplements and why?

There are a lot of supplements we all take that have marginal research, and have at least been proven for short term consumption, but many of them are 'in the dark' where research goes.

In the interest of keeping hypersensitive hypochondriacs from losing our mother fucking minds, what is a good simplified regimen that addresses all the major health issues (cardio, musculature, vascular system, metabolism, etc) without causing unknown, insane in the membrane, bodily reactions that could and possibly would lead to extreme anxiety in some of us?

Right now I am thinking something like this:

Fish oil
resveratrol
astragalus
Benfotiamine
taurine
multivitamin
biosil
glisodin (maybe-less research?)
ALCAR

Why? Because all the above (with the exception of multivitamins and astragalus) have been tested for both effectiveness and long term safety.

Astragalus has anecdote on its side (thousands of years of asiatic usage). And multi-vitamins are, well, just multi-vitamins. They can be broken into smaller doses.

Now, you go.

Edited by TheFountain, 03 January 2012 - 06:44 PM.

• dislike x 2
  • like x 1

#2 Invariant

• 176 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:55 PM

I like the idea of this thread, but I think it's a good idea to post studies. Just a bunch of people saying that they take this or that and that it's research based doesn't cut it for me.

As for your list, I'm not convinced of the safety of:
-Benfotiamine (increased risk of cancer; see this thread for lots of research on this)
-Taurine (haven't seen any long-term studies, but I wouldn't suspect harm)
-biosil (haven't researched this at all)
-glisodin (haven't researched this, but exogenous antioxidants in general have been shown to downregulate endogenous antioxidant defenses under certain circumstances, so I'd be careful here)

Edited by Novotropic, 03 January 2012 - 06:56 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 07:27 PM

Right now, vitamin D3, omega 3s (EPA and DHA), CDP-choline, uridine, carnosine, resveratrol. I'll wouldn't be surprised if they're all different in a year.

#4 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Right now, vitamin D3, omega 3s (EPA and DHA), CDP-choline, uridine, carnosine, resveratrol. I'll wouldn't be surprised if they're all different in a year.

Why uridine and why choline? Are you on a choline deficient diet?

#5 TheFountain

• Topic Starter
  • 5,362 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

I like the idea of this thread, but I think it's a good idea to post studies. Just a bunch of people saying that they take this or that and that it's research based doesn't cut it for me.

As for your list, I'm not convinced of the safety of:
-Benfotiamine (increased risk of cancer; see this thread for lots of research on this)
-Taurine (haven't seen any long-term studies, but I wouldn't suspect harm)
-biosil (haven't researched this at all)
-glisodin (haven't researched this, but exogenous antioxidants in general have been shown to downregulate endogenous antioxidant defenses under certain circumstances, so I'd be careful here)

Wait, what supplements are you on and why?

Aren't you aware of the pre-existing research on fish oil, resveratrol and anti-glycation supplements?

#6 mustardseed41

• 928 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:13 PM

D3
K2 (mk7)
fish oil
astaxanthin
benfotiamine
p5p
beta-alanine
dhea
melatonin
pregnenolone
magnesium
multi vit

Edited by mustardseed41, 03 January 2012 - 09:14 PM.

#7 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

TheFountain - uridine, etc. in great detail here:
http://www.longecity...ne-uridine-dha/

#8 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

I feel really sad if people take a whole bag full of pills and half of them end up doing harm in the long term... I bought into the supplement manufacturer hype and used to take antioxidants (R-la, NAC, selenomethionine etc.) and antiglycation supplements (benfotiamine, p5p etc.) but stopped the insanity because to my knowledge there's no data to show that they would lengthen the life of test animals let alone humans. And actually there are many dangers associated with their use. Even megadoses of vitamins do harm.

These days i take vitamin K2 MK-7 and vitamin D3 (winter -> not enough sunshine).

K2: http://www.longecity...t-mk-4-vs-mk-7/
  • dislike x 1

#9 Adan

• 21 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:01 PM

I feel really sad if people take a whole bag full of pills and half of them end up doing harm in the long term... I bought into the supplement manufacturer hype and used to take antioxidants (R-la, NAC, selenomethionine etc.) and antiglycation supplements (benfotiamine, p5p etc.) but stopped the insanity because to my knowledge there's no data to show that they would lengthen the life of test animals let alone humans. And actually there are many dangers associated with their use. Even megadoses of vitamins do harm.

These days i take vitamin K2 MK-7 and vitamin D3 (winter -> not enough sunshine).

What's dangerous about NAC? Just curious. I experienced a headache the second day I started using it but it went away and never came back. Overall, from what I've read, it seems pretty safe.

#10 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:41 PM

fish oil is a must for me, because it helped me with my depression so much :) it's the only supplement that I've been taking every day for years.
i also use other supps, but they aren't "a must" for me - I could live without them. well, maybe I'd need D3, but haven't checked my blood levels yet.

#11 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:26 PM

What's dangerous about NAC? Just curious. I experienced a headache the second day I started using it but it went away and never came back. Overall, from what I've read, it seems pretty safe.

http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/17624-n-acetylcysteine-nacsafe/
http://www.longecity...-if-it-is-safe/
http://www.longecity...h-doses-of-nac/
  • like x 1

#12 steampoweredgod

• 409 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:55 AM

With seafood heavily contaminated, fish oil supplements are a must for contaminant free omega 3, essential fat rarely found in diet especially if you exclude seafood.(anti inflammatory, brain function, skin health, cardiovascular, etc)

An iron-free low potency multivitamin.(nice backup to diet)

vitamin k2 mk-7(cardiovascular, tissue, skin, and bone health)

vitamin d3 on sun-free days(multiple functions, but mainly for the immune function)

vitamin C (collagen synthesis, bone formation and skin )

Green Tea extract(seems to offer various benefits, cardiovacular health, anticancer, anti-inflammatory, immune system enhancement, fat loss, etc)

Tomato paste*(high lycopene interferes with igf1, has cardiovascular benefits and protects skin)

While not a pill, high purity dark chocolate is also something I take in moderation.(reason: reducing membrane oxidation, cardiovascular health, reduced all cause mortality, and several supercentenarians supposedly being fond of chocolate including the longest lived human supposedly.)

Macadamias 1/4th cup daily, occasionally 1/4th cup of almonds a day.(nut consumption associated with most benefits of any lifestyle act including exercise, nonsmoking, vegetarianism, no alcohol in seventh day Adventist studies. rich in minerals, complex of lipophilic antioxidants, macadamias are highest source of monounsaturated fat which benefits cholesterol profile)
  • like x 1

#13 Bluenoise

• 52 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:34 AM

What I take is pretty much inline with what steampoweredgod and other users said above.

Main core supplements:
Vitamin D3
Fish Oil
Vitamin C

Sometime I also take:
melatonin
resveratrol

I mix into my diet in the form of food and spices:
flax meal
almonds
-plus small amounts of other varied fat sources such as avocado oil, coconut oil etc...
tumeric
tomato paste
green tea (I drink it, the extracts are way to potent and make me feel really jittery)

Edited by Bluenoise, 04 January 2012 - 01:36 AM.

#14 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:43 PM

http://www.longecity...steine-nacsafe/

Did you read that all carefully in regards to the actual real risk involved?

#15 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

http://www.longecity...steine-nacsafe/

Did you read that all carefully in regards to the actual real risk involved?

As far as I know, there hasn't been a thorough scientific quantification of the risks involved. I just go with the risk/benefit ratio and in my books NAC doesn't pass.

I was a tad scared too because i did have feelings of tightness in chest when supplementing with NAC (and i felt it before i read of the association with PAH), though i have no idea if it was because of NAC or not, not least because i was taking a whole bunch of other supps as well.

I might be more sensitive to supps than others, that I admit. Even vitamin K2 had me worried because when I was supplementing with both fish oil and K2, I got really weird "bruises" inside my mouth. They were dark, blister-like formations packed full of blood and I just used to pinch them with a needle and drain them empty. When I quit fish oil I didn't get them anymore so I just assumed it was the combination of fish oil + K2, though in hindsight that feels a bit too simplistic explanation. Any idea what they are and what can cause them?

#16 Lufega

• 1,810 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

Iodine.

We can get ~300 mcg if we eat a high salt diet while the Japs consume up to 40 mg in some areas with no adverse effect. Yeah, we need more iodine.

#17 Bluenoise

• 52 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:26 AM

I might be more sensitive to supps than others, that I admit. Even vitamin K2 had me worried because when I was supplementing with both fish oil and K2, I got really weird "bruises" inside my mouth. They were dark, blister-like formations packed full of blood and I just used to pinch them with a needle and drain them empty. When I quit fish oil I didn't get them anymore so I just assumed it was the combination of fish oil + K2, though in hindsight that feels a bit too simplistic explanation. Any idea what they are and what can cause them?

This could be caused by countless things. Everything from Oral herpes to nutriet deficiency to an allegry or some other reation to medicine.

If I had to guess I'd say you were likely experiencing a mild allergic reaction to something in the fish oil, but I'm not a doctor so don't take my word for it...

Edited by Bluenoise, 05 January 2012 - 03:32 AM.

#18 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 05:21 AM

It may just be the fish oil; fish oil is known to promote bleeding. They sound like blood blisters; essentially a sub-epidermal bleed. They're usually caused by some sort of rubbing or mild injury. I doubt that the K2 had anything to do with it.

Iodine.

We can get ~300 mcg if we eat a high salt diet

I agree on the iodine, but I don't know if we can get that much from a high salt diet. Maybe if it's really high, but the amount of iodine that's added to salt is pretty low to start with, and it is lost over time as the iodide forms I2 which then sublimes. The RDA is 150 mcg.

My must haves:

Fish oil
D3
K2
Magnesium
Iodine
Probiotics

That's what I'd recommend to anyone. In addition, on my personal list is:

Carnosine
ALCAR
Vitamin C
BioSil or JarrowSil
GTE
  • like x 2

#19 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:50 AM

That's a good base, Niner - should keep you away from most types of arthritis, SAD, cardio issues and much, much more.

The vitamin C will help absorption of other vitamins and minerals, so also good.

This coupled with a good diet would keep people healthy much longer, particularly with aging.

I would add a balanced multi B for DNA health / cancer prevention.

#20 Dorho

• 354 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

It may just be the fish oil; fish oil is known to promote bleeding. They sound like blood blisters; essentially a sub-epidermal bleed. They're usually caused by some sort of rubbing or mild injury. I doubt that the K2 had anything to do with it.

Yup, I googled blood blister, and that is indeed the problem I was having. Cheers for the info.

Like that: http://www.waent.org...-1200_small.jpg (blood blister on tongue)

#21 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:02 PM

Just supplements, or can I include pharmaceuticals too?

My only 'must have' supplement is probably Reishi Mushroom, gives a subtle but noticeable boost to overall well-being, and completely controls my hay-fever too.

#22 Ampa-omega

• 335 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

i think they mean pharmaceuticals as welll such as modafinil, ssri, etc.

but in terms of (must have)

b vitamins
zinc (not high enough even with high zinc foods)
antiinflamatorys to kill pain
adatogen herbs (ginseng,ashwaganda,astragalus,gotukola)
mitochondrial (b alanine, alcar,ala)
sleep (melatonin)

thats what i think you need for a basic foundation

#23 orbital

• 39 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:29 AM

Is there a particular form or brand of Iodine generally regarded here on the board as superior?

#24 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:36 AM

My must have supplements are:

Vitamin D
Vitamin K
Magnesium Taurate
CoQ10
Fish Oil
Extra-Virgin Coconut Oil
Iodine
Probiotics
Beta-Alanine
Creatine

Edited by Steve_86, 06 January 2012 - 12:36 AM.

• like x 1

#25 syncleft

• 13 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:30 AM

Vitamin D3
Vitamin K2
Fish Oil
Magnesium
Digestive Enzymes (includes friendly bacteria) with meals
Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Not in pill form - I simply cook with it or dump tablespoon into a meal... probably one of the BEST things I've done for my health in terms of diet / supplementation).
Lithium Orotate in the evening

Not MUST have, but I do take the following:
Methylene Blue
SAM-e (400 mg per day)
B-Complex (every other day, mainly because I take SAM-e)

For the days I exercise (before exercising - unfortunately not as much these days):
D-ribose
ALCAR
Cordyceps

Edited by syncleft, 06 January 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#26 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:25 PM

P90X!

#27 ramon25

• 111 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

I take about 13 different herbs/ adaptogens and eat superfoods like brewers yeast, kelp, fulvic minerals, remineralized water Ect. And eat a Paleo 2.0 Diet. It seems to me that the longevity research on this type of protocol using nature to your advantage seems supported by thousands of years by practitioners in chinese, ayurderic medicine. I doubt that anything we can synthetically manufacture could undo the power of nature and the fact we are organic machines. Just my thoughts...

#28 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:29 PM

could you explain paleo 2.0 in one sentence?

#29 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:54 PM

My list overlaps a lot of other good lists posted.

Vimmortal (2 per day)
gamma tocopherol
LEF fish oil (3)
krill oil (2)
D3
K2
magnesium
B-complex
blueberry extract
pomegranate extract
green tea extract
resveratrol
choline
lithium
PPQ
CoQ10
iodine (Iodoral)
benfotiamine
pyridoxamine
vit C
metformin
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:01 PM

b vitamins
zinc (not high enough even with high zinc foods)
antiinflamatorys to kill pain
adatogen herbs (ginseng,ashwaganda,astragalus,gotukola)
mitochondrial (b alanine, alcar,ala)
sleep (melatonin)

thats what i think you need for a basic foundation

That might be what you need, but it's not what I need, and I suspect it's not what a lot of people need. Anti-inflammatories to kill pain are a medical application. I don't have a chronic pain problem, so I don't need them in a basic foundation. I occasionally use them as needed.

I get enough b vitamins from diet, so I don't think I need those. I'm doing pretty well without adaptogens; I've tried some, but they didn't make the grade. Maybe I'm missing the boat there, but they strike me as things that one might need to correct for a particular condition, and not part of a basic foundation.

I don't think young healthy people need melatonin, though it might be good for older people or possibly for people with sleep problems. It would probably be better to work on basic sleep hygiene first before jumping into substances.
  • like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: supplement regimen, simplified, supplement interactions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users