• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How to counter joint pain from large Res doses?

resveratrol joint pain copper selenium

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 AlexCanada

• 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:38 AM

Hello. For me Resveratrol has been an absolute miracle for my poor mood, fatigue, low energy and various other symptoms of Hypothyroid. Though while the benefits are absolutely not in question there have been some notable side effects. My joints can become a bit weak and even feel some significant pain if I take too much Resveratrol. My experience has been with both Resveratrol Forte from Enzymatic (both gel caps and veggie caps) as well as ResveratrolRich from Natural Factors. Both of which contain Japanese knotweed as primary source to varying degrees. Additionally my body tends to get very cold, especially my hands.

I have read that this is most likely due to how high doses of Resveratrol can turn this anti-oxidant into a pro-oxidant. For a few days my joint pains especially in my fingers after playing some pinball became so bad that despite my overtly positive mood I began to finally express a bit of concern. My family doctor did not even know what Resveratrol was but stated I was dealing with some tendonitis. The issue is that these pains would also extend towards other parts of my body such as my lower legs during work out. So this negative effect would begin to be felt in various regions of my body. Never in my life have I felt these types of profound pains or has such severe nerve/joint/tendon issues. What helped lessen this problem was reducing the Resveratrol. Sure enough most of my joint/nerve issues would diminish but there seems to be a permanent numbness at the tip of one of my fingers and moving around my body too much can still cause some pain.

It seems this may be due to copper depletion from high dose Resveratrol. Which causes our bodies to not be able to repair damage properly.

Does anyone have any experience with how to treat joint/nerve pains and very low body temperature while taking Resveratrol ?

Copper and Selenium supplements are a start but is there anything else?? I do not want to drop my Resveratrol too low because I do not feel well without it.

Edited by AlexCanada, 04 January 2014 - 03:42 AM.

#2 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

I suspect that the joint and tendon issues are due not to Resveratrol itself but to contaminants from the knotweed. My partner and I were having tendon problems that went away after switching to a synthetic version of resveratrol (Resvida). See this thread:
http://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/67513-resveratrol-tendon-and-joint-updates/
I suggest trying Resvida or another non-knotweed derived resveratrol for a while and seeing if your pain goes away. Keep us updated.
  • like x 1

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

Or you might want to give a more pure resveratrol a try. Some folks like myself get joint pain relief from 98% purity (500 mg, 2x daily). Both Resveratrol Forte from Enzymatic and ResveratrolRich from Natural Factors are "proprietary blends" of who knows what plus no indication of the resveratrol purity. Enzymatic mentions quercetin rutinoside but that seems to be only the tip of their iceberg.

Howard
  • like x 1

#4 geo12the

• 762 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

I am telling you man give the Resvida a try. Stay away from the knotweed versions.

#5 AlexCanada

• Topic Starter
  • 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

I am telling you man give the Resvida a try. Stay away from the knotweed versions.

I cannot order Resvida to Canada unless there is a good source I am unaware of. Anything on iherb which might suffice? I am considering ordering Genceutic Naturals, pTeroBlue, Pterostilbene + Resveratrol. It has ''nature identical'' resveratrol. I btw have tried iodine for the joint pains. It seems to work slightly but omg it makes my mood drop off a cliff. Does this feeling generally pass or is it a sign that Iodine is not for me? I feel more withdrawn.

#6 username

• 176 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

http://www.amazon.ca.../dp/B00FCEMHBO/
How about that product? It says 'pure resveratrol'

If you know that the joint pains are caused by the supplement, it seems kind of pointless to try to treat it with more supplements. Instead, try switching to a different brand as suggested.

Some things that might work for joint pain:

SAMe: http://www.mayoclini...ce/HRB-20059935

Curcumin: http://www.altmedrev...ns/15/4/337.pdf
Just 1g of Meriva daily was used. Use of NSAIDs decreased by over 60% in the treatment group and only by 8% in the control group after 8 months. Astonishing results.

#7 gizmobrain

• 548 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

I check into this every 6 months or so, which is about the period of time it takes me to think "I bet that I was just mistaken last time I took Resveratrol. It couldn't have been the source of the issues." I keep hoping for some study or something to clearly point out the culprit.

Without a doubt, every time I take Res, I start getting pains in my hips, and any other place that I stress daily. I've come to see it as blocking my body's ability to heal daily damage to muscles and/or tendons.

The only time this doesn't happen is when I choose a res supp that doesn't seem to have any positive effects, either.
  • like x 1

#8 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:09 PM

I check into this every 6 months or so, which is about the period of time it takes me to think "I bet that I was just mistaken last time I took Resveratrol. It couldn't have been the source of the issues." I keep hoping for some study or something to clearly point out the culprit.

Without a doubt, every time I take Res, I start getting pains in my hips, and any other place that I stress daily. I've come to see it as blocking my body's ability to heal daily damage to muscles and/or tendons.

The only time this doesn't happen is when I choose a res supp that doesn't seem to have any positive effects, either.

Are you using 98-99% purity? How are you taking it, just plain orally or liposome or ?
When I took up to 2000mg I didn't have any joint issues but it was sometimes causing diarrhea -- sodium butyrate fixes this but eventually I settled on 250-500mg and don't need that. I suspect there maybe some gut biome altering effects at high doses and so getting that area optimize pre-resveratrol may help (bad biome -> inflammation which would be exacerbated by the res without the presence of proper amounts of butyrate in the colon).

#9 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:13 AM

I agree you should try a pure reservatrol supplement and consider different sources and formulations. I generally only take pure, one ingredient supplements due to sensitivities. I'm not familiar with reservatrol but in general the best way for a sensitive person to take a supplement is as a plain powder dissolved in a little water. The second best way is in a gel cap. You can open a gel cap and dump the contents in a little water. In some cases, certain supplements don't lend themselves to this strategy but most do. Experiment with taking it on am empty stomach or with meals to see which works better.

#10 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:00 AM

Many have found taking vitamin D3 sufficient to raise blood levels (D25-hydroxy test) to about 40 or more relieves the joint pain.

With 95% pure resveratrol, I doubt knotweed impurities are the problem.

#11 cargocultist

• 59 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:22 AM

Nicotine may enhance cartilage growth counteracting the anti-angiogenic effect of resveratrol. After a wrist injury, nicotine was the only thing that actually helped me, not just acutely but long term. I take 6.25mg/day or 1/4th of a Nicorette (matrix type) patch. Please note that tendons and cartilage notoriously heal very slowly because of poor vascularization. Perhaps this is the mechanism of joint insult caused by RSV.
  • like x 1

#12 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

I would really avoid nicotine. There has to be another way.

#13 AlexCanada

• Topic Starter
  • 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:05 AM

I hope there are some updates on this?   Same issue I am experiencing now! First day seemed okay. 2nd day wow... notable pain/joint issue in my left hand especially between thumb and the other finger. I would even slow down my typing and try to just use one finger on that hand as I am doing now. I'm not even taking any significant doses!  And honestly if I mention how low the dose is people may not believe me.  I am very sensitive to meds/sups so even a little goes a long way.

I will have to stop it despite the improved clarity of thinking I been experiencing. Just not worth it. Res Forte is the one I tried again as I had a bottle laying around from before. Repetitive motions are really punishing me with this brand but it might be all of them.  I did try a trans resveratrol before with similar issues.  And I cannot confirm it entirely but I believe I tried a purer resveratrol as well but it was a long time ago. 

I am also taking Serrapeptase, Panax Ginseng,  coQ10, and some others at the moment.   

Edited by AlexCanada, 18 April 2018 - 10:12 AM.

#14 AlexCanada

• Topic Starter
  • 263 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 10:11 AM

And this may seem like a silly question but is anyone willing to send me just one capsule of a pure resveratrol brand? Something for me to try?    I just don't want to blow another $20+ on ''amazing brand'' this and the other.  I have spent a bit too much money on these over the years and no one is willing to sell samples.  If samples were for sale I'd try out 20+ different products next month honestly. 

#15 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 11:55 AM

And this may seem like a silly question but is anyone willing to send me just one capsule of a pure resveratrol brand? Something for me to try?    I just don't want to blow another $20+ on ''amazing brand'' this and the other.  I have spent a bit too much money on these over the years and no one is willing to sell samples.  If samples were for sale I'd try out 20+ different products next month honestly. 

Do a search here on resveratrol joint pain and you will find long discussions of this problem, including those who went to much higher purity and found it no better. I took 250 mg for a years with no problem -- until it almost crippled me, that is -- and became so sensitized to it that I get joint pain from only one dose. DHEA helps a little, but not reliably, so best stay away from it.

At least one person here claims -- geo12the, who also posted above -- that a synthetic version DSM ResVida does not cause joint pain. Edit: Though I see you can't get it due to living in Canada. Thanks to  "Health Canada," you can only get the dangerous natural version. Looks interesting, though. I will have to give this a try.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 18 April 2018 - 12:38 PM.

#16 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 April 2018 - 12:47 PM

Two questions here.

1. How much resveratrol does it take to become pro oxidant? Not that I wholly buy into the whole antioxidant theory of aging, there are plenty of cases where pro oxidation is quality control.

2. Have you tried the Actinovo liposomal version yet? I just contacted them to find out where their resveratrol is sourced and how it is extracted, whether it's pure or not.

I haven't experienced any joint pain from resveratrol but I'm worried it may one day cause this. 

The thing is I don't take it every day I cycle it and even then it's only taken every three hours for 24 hours when I do take it, leaving a week or so in between doses.  It's got really low bioavailability and really only stays in your system for up to an hour at best before it's broken down by enzymes. This is largely the issue with why it failed a lot of in vivo tests.

So maybe that's why I never experienced joint pain, you may try dosing lower every three hours and then stopping. Most in vitro successes with resveratrol was from exposure to resveratrol over a 24 hour period from what I understand. At least on two or three of the published studies I've read.

Click HERE to rent this advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 Oakman

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:04 PM

Like Nate, I tried the mega-dosing of R for short period of time. But after reading about the pro and anti oxidative effects of resveratrol based on time-of-day application, I decided that resveratrol was best a long term, PM before bed supplement, used as an antioxidant. So with liposomal being the best avenue to bypass metabolic destruction, most of these commercial Resveratrol supplements have exactly the same list of ingredients and give the same mgs of R/C. I finally found one, Nutrient Tree Lipo R/C giving 78 doses (16 oz) for $50, which is by far the best pricing I can find for this. Previously 6 oz (30 servings) was ~$30, a bit rich, if you ask me.

So my night time regime is now (not taken all together), Liposomal Resveratrol 75 mg / Curcumin 200 mg / 1 mg sublingual melatonin  / 100mg 5-HTP / 1000 mg DIY Mushroom mix and taken with a cup of herbal tea. I've never had any joint or other pain or weakness as a result. I do sleep like a log, which I attribute to the sublingual melatonin, 5-HTP and mushrooms. It seems all seems to work together well. I don't take breaks, and have done this some time, since doing the R megadosing.

Resveratrol, Antioxidant by night, prooxidant by day (with melatonin reversing the pro oxidant effect)

http://www.resveratr...dant-by-day/45/

The case for Wearing Antioxidants after Dark

https://www.vogue.co...n-c-resveratrol

Dose Dependency of Resveratrol Providing Health Effects

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC2990065/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol, joint pain, copper, selenium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users