Toothpaste!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#31 mitkat

• Topic Starter
  • 1,948 posts

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:26 AM

So what did you decide on?

Forgot I even made this thread! I'm rotating a few toothpastes these days, notably the Jason Healthy Mouth tea tree and Dr. Ken's.....both fairly good choices for quality product balanced by cost. I am interested in Oravive, but worry about 'kits' and that kind of shizz...maybe I'm being critical but aside from the ingredients... it screams infomercial to me. That being said, I'm trying it next ;)

#32 VesperLynd

• 180 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

Any updates?

Thanks, VL

#33 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2009 - 01:12 AM

I use SootheRX, maybe once a day or once a week right now, rotating with generic Crest toothpaste. I loathe using this stuff but SootheRx is too expensive to use everyday.
It's a prescription-strength Novamin paste. I decided to go with Novamin instead of Recaldent because the clinical trial study pictures showed it to be more effective.

Anecdotal evidence, after brushing with it only twice with an extra soft manual toothbrush, every teeth in my mouth felt smooth like glass except the upper canine.
That was the one spot that I avoided brushing for several years due to gingivitis. Don't ask me why I never went to the dentist, but after several months of brushing, that spot is completely smooth as well. There were also several black pits in my molars but it has now heal and disappear as well.
Which I must mention, the fluoride varnish the dentist stuck on my teeth failed to do anything for.

However, I think this paste put on some serious plaque if you're prone to plaque buildup and brush with it everyday. The paste may build on your plaque deposit as if it is your enamel. Of course, I got nothing to back this up, just a theory.
But the plaque deposits disappeared naturally after I started taking K2, D and adopt a ketogenic diet.

My teeth feels like it just sprouted yesterday, everything 100%, no plaque, no discoloration, no cavity. I intend to keep it this way until the day I die and be the one corpse with beautiful natural teeth instead of implants. ;)

Edit: Here's the links for some info on remineralization technology
http://www.dentist.n...-phosphate2.asp
http://www.x-pur.com...que/novamin.htm
http://www.novamin.c..._of_NovaMin.pdf

Edited by Saber, 15 October 2009 - 01:19 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:14 PM

I use SootheRX, maybe once a day or once a week right now, rotating with generic Crest toothpaste. I loathe using this stuff but SootheRx is too expensive to use everyday.

I, too, use SootheRX. I got it through my dentist and this stuff truly works! I started using it 1 time per week but now I only use it once a month. I only have maybe 3-4 of those little square soothe-rx's left.

Edited by pycnogenol, 16 November 2009 - 07:16 PM.

#35 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:23 PM

I, too, use SootheRX. I got it through my dentist and this stuff truly works! I started using it 1 time per week but now I only use it once a month. I only have maybe 3-4 of those little square soothe-rx's left.

I mainly use Tayadent. It's a liquid toothsoap from Israel that forms something like a minty bubblebath in your mouth. It has SLS, but it's very cheap and gets your teeth c-l-e-a-n. I have no more problems with sensitivity after using for the past two years. I also recently started with spry xylitol toothpaste. pretty decent stuff.

#36 sdxl

• 391 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 07:43 PM

I don't think SootheRX is worth the money. It has 7.5% NovaMin, Oravive has 5% but is much cheaper.

#37 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 11:29 PM

I don't think SootheRX is worth the money. It has 7.5% NovaMin, Oravive has 5% but is much cheaper.

Worth the money?!? I get it for FREE from my dentist and besides I have neuropathic pain which affects
my gums and the SootheRX definitely helps for that purpose.

#38 Saber

• 110 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 07:29 PM

Thanks for the info, I may consider Oravive when my supply of SootheRx runs out.

If you can find out where Sootherx is manufactured, let us know. I remember the reason I chose it was because Oravive is made in China.

Edited by Saber, 17 November 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#39 shawn

• 61 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

Your teeth will re-enamalize naturally provided you keep them clean, which is something which glycerine based tooth pastes can never do.
Sure they take off the gunk, but they leave a nice film of glycerine residue which dozens of rinses will not remove.
This impedes your natural enamalization process.
But, do as you will.

#40 checkinguy

• 15 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:35 AM

I'm doing the Dr. Ellie formula. Xylitol doses throughout the day. Rinses with Closys, (regular crest brushing), Listerine and ACT/.05% sodium floride rinse. Regular Crest is said to be have a better form of Floride ie sodium, not stannous. (which I haven't substantiated). Affter 6 weeks for using several does of xylitol a day, some of the plaque bacteria have been dying off - leaving a black residue, which I knew would happen. I was wondering how long it would take to wear-off - its on the tooth - normal brushing wouldn't take it off. What I didn't know till I saw the hygenist is that there is plenty on my back tongue as well. The hygenist used their powerfull ultrasonic to clean the dead bacteria on most tooth surfaces, but I'll get to see how long the stuff on my tongue will last anyway. Sounds like xylitol is especially good to go after the bacterium s. Mutans - a bad boy that can stick to the enamel surface and form a matrix for other bacteria. Hopefully, this will lead to some remineralization and whiter teeth in the medium term.

#41 mar00

• 8 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

Your teeth will re-enamalize naturally provided you keep them clean, which is something which glycerine based tooth pastes can never do.
Sure they take off the gunk, but they leave a nice film of glycerine residue which dozens of rinses will not remove.
This impedes your natural enamalization process.
But, do as you will.

Could you please provide any evidence for the claim? From what I have found this is
rather controversial, apparently there is some Phd who made some super soap for
brushing teeth and now is spreading a rumor that glycerin is somewhat unwashable (and
it is visually convincing, isn't it). And since most of toothpastes are based on glycerin
then go ahead, buy my soap. Anyway, the truth is too far to reach, but I reckon that
glycerin being a very common ingredient all over the beauty isle really cannot be that
"sticky". I think, that glycerin actually dissolves in water and is not "synthetic" (correct me
if I am wrong though..). It is also a good solvent itself, so no barrier here.. And it
has some antibacterial properties as well. (Sorry cannot find anything to back this up).

Guess the best thing is baking soda, one way or another. And a good diet.

#42 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 11:31 PM

Olive Oil ,a bit of Crest Ultra Toothpaste and Hyrdogenproxide.

#43 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:54 PM

Guess the best thing is baking soda, one way or another. And a good diet.

Dr. Ellie discourages the use of baking soda, claiming that it destroys the physiological protection film on our teeth. I'm halfway convinced since I've noticed this film the first time after using her system, 1mm between gums and teeth (before, I used a baking soda based toothpaste). Still not sure how valid this is, but there's no reason for me to use soda.

#44 thedentist

• 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 03:44 PM

Crest Pro-Health ingredients: stannous fluoride, sodium hexametaphosphate

You is gonna catch the death.

Ha, I'll take my chances on that. Here is some reading via a pubmed search:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....D...[Text Word]

I've been using Sensodyne since I have sensitive gums but I sometimes use normal toothpaste just so I can make sure I clean my teeth and my gums w/o compromising the health of both. Lately, I have discovered a new alternative which I occasionally use, OraMD. OraMD is an all natural liquid toothpaste, mouthwash and breath freshener.

#45 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

I've been using Sensodyne since I have sensitive gums but I sometimes use normal toothpaste just so I can make sure I clean my teeth and my gums w/o compromising the health of both. Lately, I have discovered a new alternative which I occasionally use, OraMD. OraMD is an all natural liquid toothpaste, mouthwash and breath freshener.

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I am currently using the crest pro-health in the morning and squigle tooth-builder at night. If I like OraMD or another over tooth-builder, I will switch out my nightly toothpaste.

#46 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:33 PM

you certainly can rebuild enamel... dr ellie has a good system. closys, brush with glycerin free toothpaste (regular crest), listerine & act. works great for me. she has some interesting xrays of cavitation actually filling in.

#47 Quanzhou

• 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:23 PM

I was wondering what everyone uses as toothpaste? I've been looking into xylitol, mint, sea kelp, ayuverdic herbs, etc, etc for a long time and done lots of experimenting, also trying to switch it up everyonce in a while. Oral-B's flouride mouthwash is something I've been using also. I'm curious to hear a roll call for people's toothpaste choices.

(There has been some oral health threads in the past, but let's keep this one on lock chompers wise [pirate] )

Posted Image

The most natural and organic toothbrush/'paste' ... Miswak!

I highly recommend it.

The miswak (miswaak, siwak, sewak) is a teeth cleaning twig made from a twig of the Salvadora persica tree, also known as the arak tree or the peelu tree

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak SEE REFERENCES.

http://scholar.googl...F-8&sa=N&tab=ws

A 2003 scientific study comparing the use of miswak with ordinary toothbrushes concluded that the results clearly were in favor of the users who had been using the miswaak, provided they had been given proper instruction in how to brush using it.[1] The World Health Organization (WHO) recommended the use of the miswaak in 1986 and in 2000 an international consensus report on oral hygiene concluded that further research was needed to document the effect of the miswak.[2]

See,

[PDF] Paraclinical Effects of Miswak Extract on Dental Plaque

#48 Quanzhou

• 13 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

The Wrigley Company made a study on Miswak which was published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. The study found that mints laced with Miswak extract were 20 times more effective in killing bacteria than ordinary mints. A small testimony to this fact is that after half an hour, the mints laced with Miswak extract killed about 60% of the bacteria where as the ordinary mints managed only 3.6%

In the August issue of Journal of Periodontology (2008) appeared a study conducted by Swedish researchers on Miswak. The study apparently found that suspended Miswak pieces in a petridish (medium for culturing bacteria) were able to kill bacteria that cause periodontal disease with out being in physical contact with the bacteria. The researchers suggested that Miswak might be giving antibiotics as gases trying to explain this phenomenon.

A study which compares toothbrushing and using Miswak (Miswak ing!) can be seen on Pubmed (U.S National Library for Medicine Service). The study concluded that Miswak was more effective than toothbrushing in reducing plaque and gingivitis provided it was used correctly. Similar studies found on the same website and elsewhere vouch for the effectiveness of Miswak over toothbrush.

A study conducted by a group of dentists at King Saud University concluded that using Miswak was at least as good as tooth brushing, if not better. There have been plenty of published studies on Miswak and infact entire books published which study its oral and systemic benefits.

http://www.dentalhea...what-is-miswak/

#49 lunarsolarpower

• 1,323 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:34 AM

Thanks, I'll take a look at it. I am currently using the crest pro-health in the morning and squigle tooth-builder at night. If I like OraMD or another over tooth-builder, I will switch out my nightly toothpaste.

I don't recommend the pro-health toothpaste or mouthrinse as they have been linked to staining teeth. I suspect that the product was developed to achieve a list of claims put together by the marketing department and a side effect of trying to achieve all the claims on the package was that it can stain teeth. Haven't heard of any similar problems from other Crest products though.

#50 J. Galt

• 125 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

I currently use All-Natural Jason Powersmile and am quite please. Definitely whitens and cleans, IMO far mores than any of the Crest and Colgate products I used to use.

I've also used Desert Essences Fennel and Tea Tree oil toothpaste, but ditched it after about four months because I felt like my teeth weren't as clean as they should be, despite proper brushing habits. Before that I did Tom's Natural, but dropped it once my local store stopped carrying the fluoride free version. was never a big fan anyway.

#51 thedentist

• 9 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 05:20 AM

hey I just switched from the normal sensodyne toothpaste to sensodyne gentle whitening. still cleans gently, especially recommended for those with sensitive gums, and also whitens teeth gently; but i still use my fluoride toothpaste alternately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users