* * * * * 2 votes

Meditation the Nootropic

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#61 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:31 AM

About 2-3 years on and off, but I count most of those years as wasted practice as I had little idea what I was doing and no direction or roadmap to guide me. I couldn't say how long it took because I was in a several year long drug induced haze at the time, so my memory of that period is almost non-existent.

Regards music, I love to get in the meditative zone while listening to it, but I don't use it as a tool to deepen my serious sits. Some do, but doing a practice like concentration meditation I think it is best to minimise all distractions... your mind will produce enough as it is!

#62 arvcondor

• 96 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:09 AM

Can I ask what your issues were before you started meditating and how you're feeling now? Do you have any other components to your regimen?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#63 OpaqueMind

• 471 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Well first I wouldn't say that meditation fixed the cognitive problems I had, but it did give me a little oasis of calm within a storm that was tearing me to pieces, which was important because it allowed me to begin the process of life/mind reconstruction.

Looking back on that time is insane. I was empty mentally, spiritually, a walking ghost, hollowed out, no thoughts, complete apathy towards myself, life and others. If I had died I wouldn't have cared in the slightest. My memory was fucked, I had no empathy, I could barely form a coherent thought, I had no self-control, was very erratic, when I wasn't apathetic I was either extremely depressed or manic, though the former was more common. I did nothing, was going nowhere. This was what got me started on my nootropic journey, and I think its an extreme case of a common theme on this site.

What really fixed my mind and mental facilities (and continues to) was neurofeedback, particularly Infra-low frequency and Theta-Alpha-Gamma Synchrony, which is the key backbone of my approach. Anything else I take is either for basic nutritional purposes or to supplement and enhance the gains from neurofeedback. I've been on that for about 4-5 months now (I think? I don't keep track of time much), and I'm still making gains on a session by session basis. The difference is INSANE. I can barely believe I'm the same person I was two years ago. I went from suicidally depressed to being the happiest most emotionally balanced person I know, from having no thoughts to being able to exercise my logical and intuitive faculties at will, regaining and probably even building on some of my former mental powers. My self-control is through the roof, used to be I had literally zero, I'd feel an urge and there'd be no counteracting force in my head to take consequences into consideration, now I reason out my actions and try to fit them around where I want to be, regaining the directional temporality which elevates us above much of the animal kingdom. I can learn so much easier, remember things that happen in my life, I'm way smoother socially, social anxiety is completely gone, now replaced with compassion and deep empathy for others... I can switch between play and seriousness at will and as desired in context, whereas before I was constantly serious. I've played guitar for a few years but recently my creativity has gone through the roof. I feel like I've literally gotten years better within the space of a few months, and I flow with and feel the vibrations so much more. This last thing is a theme which permeates my new life, everything is just more 'flowy'. It's difficult to convey except in the abstract. Like everything's just easier, not a chore, always enjoyable, I'm curious, I'm intrigued, I'm open, I'm integrated. I feel like the phoenix, completely reborn from the ashes of my former self.

#64 arvcondor

• 96 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:23 PM

That sounds fantastic, and in fact is in line with the general theme I see on this forum, which is that the things that seem to have the most lasting, long term effects for people are not chemicals, but methods that actually change the brain. I don't want to derail this thread from meditation, so I'm going to PM you about the neurofeedback.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#65 Meggo

• 93 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

@OpaqueMind

how many neurofeedback sessions / week did you do (on average) and for how long?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users