Main LongeCity blog

blog

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 April 2018 - 11:41 PM

I know there is a "blog" section where individual users can create a blog on here and post on there, but in 2018, it's not exactly great imo.

Over the last few months, I've been learning a lot about writing, affiliate marketing and just trying to create a business online that provides multiple streams of passive income. And to quit my boring job. 

One of my objectives was to work on several projects, but have one or two of them to eventually donate a significant percentage of earnings towards projects like SENS. And although it might not be millions, it is something... It's not as if I have a team of people yet. :)

You might think, well, how much money can there be in this?  Well... some people are earning $100 per day, and others are earning over $1000 per day or more from one site.

So I was thinking, what if Longecity has a main blog, where multiple people contribute to it and go after commercial type keywords. And since the domain has some good authority, it could be able to rank for some highly competitive keywords as well...

I know the forum has Amazon links already, and it monetizes in other ways.. but it's messy and not very clear. And the way the blogs are right now, it looks kinda spammy.

What I'm proposing is a blog, with multiple people contributing to it, writing both information and affiliate type posts. Whatever ratio you think is best... And then targeting high traffic, commercial keywords, around multiple topics on this forum.

I could help and contribute to such a blog. I think I could find time for my own projects and something like this. And if there are enough people, it wouldn't be too much for any one person.

The benefits of having such a blog

- It would drive more people to a focal point on the site and hopefully, it would get a lot of engagement. This would further improve SEO of individual blog posts since it would be more on-topic than a forum post.

- Forum posts are generally much easier to outrank in google. Creating blog posts around specific keywords would be more focused and easier to rank in google. As long as on page SEO is good.

- It's easier and quicker for people to find what they need and make a purchase. Earning Longecity and the projects it supports, more funds.

- There multiple ways to monetize

- It could help acquire more links to longecity by having well-written blog posts..

Edited by Matt, 23 April 2018 - 11:51 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:45 PM

Thanks for the idea Matt. I am all for exploring ways of bringing more money into the LongeCity coffers. Every time I interview people from the life extension movement or from our affiliate labs, their main focus is more money, more money, more money.

You are correct that the blogs are not much of a focus. We could probably use more editorial help. Perhaps you could join the editorial staff on a probationary basis to explore ways to help out the blog section.

The main concern here is that any newly created content NOT be over-the-top-way-too-obvious SEO optimization. Any blog posts with high value links/terms would have to be legit (contain useful referenced info).

• Agree x 1

#3 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:41 AM

writers

#4 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 03:40 PM

So I was thinking, what if Longecity has a main blog, where multiple people contribute to it and go after commercial type keywords. And since the domain has some good authority, it could be able to rank for some highly competitive keywords as well...

I know the forum has Amazon links already, and it monetizes in other ways.. but it's messy and not very clear. And the way the blogs are right now, it looks kinda spammy.

What I'm proposing is a blog, with multiple people contributing to it, writing both information and affiliate type posts. Whatever ratio you think is best... And then targeting high traffic, commercial keywords, around multiple topics on this forum.

I could help and contribute to such a blog. I think I could find time for my own projects and something like this. And if there are enough people, it wouldn't be too much for any one person..

I'd go for this -- multiple writers contributing to the common good. Sounds like a refreshing idea. Kudos for trying, Matt. I write prolifically, too; so several years ago I tossed around Caliban's unsolicited submission topics :

writers

I spent weeks working up various lines before reaching a conclusion. Not to be negative or pessimistic, heaven forbid, but I found myself toiling over his listed subjects, googling them to see what others had to say, then attempting to regurgitate the same tired material in my own voice.

Then gave up.

The writing never seemed good enough to warrant submission. Stale. By not good enough I mean I've nothing original to contribute. All I felt was the inauthenticity. Vaguely plagiaristic. I wrote up a half dozen 1,000 word pieces, put them aside, worked on other projects, then re-edited diligently and reached the same dead end: "There's nothing new (under the sun)..."

We're told there's nothing new, it's all been done, written, said, blogged, whatever, and to me the life extension "movement" suffers from this -- too many words. Too many words and not enough action. No one wants more words. We don't want more hopes and promises. Audiences want actionable therapies. We want therapies that work. And now. We wanted them yesterday, and years ago. Meaning: we want therapies now that work effectively to slow, stop, and reverse aging, and we don't have these. To say we do is like lying. Ultimately, see Gertrude Stein, there's no there there in the anti aging arena. Yet. That's the word: yet. We don't have them "yet..."

My conclusion, perhaps wrong, is that until practical working therapies emerge from acceptable human clinical trials, then there just isn't much to say. What do we have to say? Here are the ten best foods you may eat to slow aging -- oh, broccoli and leafy greens, nuts, seeds, hey all the Blue Zones people eat Legumes! Then more subjects: here are the five best exercises to slow aging; here are the important, foundational rodent studies breakdowns; here's more CRISPR dreaming; here are more pleas for money, more complaining about FDA regulations, and why doesn't CR work in humans, or does it work, no one knows, studies of humans take too long, and what about fasting? Does IF that do anything to repair intrinsic and extrinsic aging damage?

So more writing as if any of these strategies shall reverse aging damage just feels like spinning in place. What is actionable right now for aging people? Write that.

And reading these fora you can feel the frustration. Great writers and thinkers post here for a while. Then they get frustrated with the lack of progress, the slow moving wheels, and they go away. New forum writers arrive daily, they ask the usual questions, they get no real and effective replies, they take some unproven supplement substances, they do more weightlifting or HIIT or w/e, and eventually they reach the same conclusions.

I'm over-writing this, sorry :-(

Reason, at FightAging, does a fine job of consistently blogging on what's what in life extension -- briefly highlighting studies he feels are relevant to the movement -- he's constantly pleading and pitching for SENS. For non-metabolism tinkering efforts.,Daily, he's writing about one promising LE topic after another. And, well, I've been reading Reason's site for years, like maybe you have been reading it, and "the science" still isn't actionable. More promises, years down the road, it's the same for Josh Mittledorf's blog -- great stuff -- it's going back years, promises are piled upon promises. Everyone is searching. WTF is Calico?

There just isn't much to say until something emerges that everyone who looks at it can see for themselves -- oh, look, wow, that intervention really works to fix the aging human metabolism or works to repair degenerating bones or torn joints or cosmetically fixes wrinkles or solves human head hair loss or CVD or cancer -- how many billions on cancer, how many decades?

Given all that stupid rant, I'll happily read any new blog you're pushing up the hill.

Sorry to be so long winded and downbeat! The ball is in the court of the science, though, tbh.

#5 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:23 PM

So, one of the first thoughts to cross my mind was to create a mastermind group with a few people who are good writers, and have some basic SEO knowledge. From there, the idea would've been to create many websites around different topics, including health, and monetize these sites in various ways. 

The affiliate product revenue, ad revenue, and even money from eventually selling some of the websites could be directed into life extension through an organization. And sites can sell for A LOT on places like empire flippers.

I know, it sounds really complicated, but it's something which would work. But it would take a team of people to scale it.

And actually, from my research over the last few days, it appears that people in the "life extension" community have been implementing such strategies. Although I don't know if profits are for themselves or they are diverting money into LE.

I was checking out www.reddit/r/longevity and was looking through the links and asked a moderator if he/she could add my CR website to the related links sidebar. 

Not sure if I was talking to a human or a robot, but I never got the response I hoped for  :laugh: Pretty mean and quite cold actually lol.

So I investigated the links, and sure, many of them *are* quite heavily monetizing their sites.   Here's a good example of one site that was linked "related to longevity"  - https://www.infoagin...sh-with-sulfur/

I asked the moderator about it but never got an answer. Why it was included on longevity-related sites... I thought it was kind of odd.

Just giving that as an example since it's not a weak niche site, based on its backlink profile. The site is sky-rocketed with its rankings, so it must've got a ton of backlinks pretty fast. I wonder if it was set up specifically to funnel money into LE research. That'd be pretty cool if it were the case... and along the lines of what I was thinking.

Obviously, if there "affiliate-type" posts on the main blog for this site, then things would be done a little differently. But since the site already is promoting so many things related to supplements, skincare, among other things, why not talk about these?  You could set realistic expectations. It's what I try to do when I promote products. I'm trying to set expectations, be helpful, and answer questions. 

The thing is, you are giving what the "searcher" wants anyway. The people who will find the page organically are already expecting and ready to purchase, you are just sending them to Amazon.  There are certain keyword modifiers which signal buying intent.

I don't know what conversions are on this site, but I see conversion between 10-20% if you target the right keywords. 

The problem with how the blogs are set up right now is that it's quite spammy and hardly targeted at all. I would assume based on the amount of traffic this site gets, you still may get quite a bit from it, but it's nowhere near as optimized as it could be. The ads are not even relevant from what I saw...  And contextual links always seem to work better.

On a small scale, it wouldn't make a dent. But what if you had 20 of these sites, each making 5K to 10K or more a month?  Which is very realistic just based on AMAZON alone, that is without other types of services and products.

At the end of the day, we need money. Activism is great, but why not make Amazon pay for LE through authority type sites and/or lots of little niche websites around specific topics?

And finally, once these sites are created, they are quite passive by nature. You can leave them and they will continue making money for years without really doing much.

Edited by Matt, 28 April 2018 - 12:24 PM.

#6 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

I'd go for this -- multiple writers contributing to the common good. Sounds like a refreshing idea. Kudos for trying, Matt. I write prolifically, too; so several years ago I tossed around Caliban's unsolicited submission topics :

I spent weeks working up various lines before reaching a conclusion. Not to be negative or pessimistic, heaven forbid, but I found myself toiling over his listed subjects, googling them to see what others had to say, then attempting to regurgitate the same tired material in my own voice.

Then gave up.

The writing never seemed good enough to warrant submission. Stale. By not good enough I mean I've nothing original to contribute. All I felt was the inauthenticity. Vaguely plagiaristic. I wrote up a half dozen 1,000 word pieces, put them aside, worked on other projects, then re-edited diligently and reached the same dead end: "There's nothing new (under the sun)..."

We're told there's nothing new, it's all been done, written, said, blogged, whatever, and to me the life extension "movement" suffers from this -- too many words. Too many words and not enough action. No one wants more words. We don't want more hopes and promises. Audiences want actionable therapies. We want therapies that work. And now. We wanted them yesterday, and years ago. Meaning: we want therapies now that work effectively to slow, stop, and reverse aging, and we don't have these. To say we do is like lying. Ultimately, see Gertrude Stein, there's no there there in the anti aging arena. Yet. That's the word: yet. We don't have them "yet..."

My conclusion, perhaps wrong, is that until practical working therapies emerge from acceptable human clinical trials, then there just isn't much to say. What do we have to say? Here are the ten best foods you may eat to slow aging -- oh, broccoli and leafy greens, nuts, seeds, hey all the Blue Zones people eat Legumes! Then more subjects: here are the five best exercises to slow aging; here are the important, foundational rodent studies breakdowns; here's more CRISPR dreaming; here are more pleas for money, more complaining about FDA regulations, and why doesn't CR work in humans, or does it work, no one knows, studies of humans take too long, and what about fasting? Does IF that do anything to repair intrinsic and extrinsic aging damage?

So more writing as if any of these strategies shall reverse aging damage just feels like spinning in place. What is actionable right now for aging people? Write that.

And reading these fora you can feel the frustration. Great writers and thinkers post here for a while. Then they get frustrated with the lack of progress, the slow moving wheels, and they go away. New forum writers arrive daily, they ask the usual questions, they get no real and effective replies, they take some unproven supplement substances, they do more weightlifting or HIIT or w/e, and eventually they reach the same conclusions.

I'm over-writing this, sorry :-(

Reason, at FightAging, does a fine job of consistently blogging on what's what in life extension -- briefly highlighting studies he feels are relevant to the movement -- he's constantly pleading and pitching for SENS. For non-metabolism tinkering efforts.,Daily, he's writing about one promising LE topic after another. And, well, I've been reading Reason's site for years, like maybe you have been reading it, and "the science" still isn't actionable. More promises, years down the road, it's the same for Josh Mittledorf's blog -- great stuff -- it's going back years, promises are piled upon promises. Everyone is searching. WTF is Calico?

There just isn't much to say until something emerges that everyone who looks at it can see for themselves -- oh, look, wow, that intervention really works to fix the aging human metabolism or works to repair degenerating bones or torn joints or cosmetically fixes wrinkles or solves human head hair loss or CVD or cancer -- how many billions on cancer, how many decades?

Given all that stupid rant, I'll happily read any new blog you're pushing up the hill.

Sorry to be so long winded and downbeat! The ball is in the court of the science, though, tbh.

I almost finished responding and hit the wrong button! gah! lol

One of the things I always worried about when I thought of writing blog posts, was the fact that it all had been said before. And not only that, there were people out there who knew far more on the topic than me and were "experts" in the area. So, why should I write about it? What more could I possibly add?

Firstly, not everyone likes to follow the same person. Two people might be equal in their presentation and knowledge about nutrition, but I just happen to like one person over the other (I follow Rhonda Patrick). And that's basically how youtube is right now... there are so many people who are repeating the same thing as everyone else, but some people naturally gravitate some one person over another.

You can just speak to people who know less than you... which is a lot of people!  But not only that, the point I was making is that there are so many keywords out there, you can rank for certain questions and phrases that are not being targeted. You are being helpful to someone.   

I was joking with someone the other day how I get so few comments on my blog, sometimes the only way I know I'm adding value is when by the orders I see every day on my report. Which it can be a measurement of value... since I helped them make a decision and sent them off to Amazon. They wanted an opinion and I gave them one. I just try to give realistic expectations and not exaggerate the claims too much. 

Yeah, FightAging is great. :) It's been around quite a long time now.

We do need more blogs aimed at regular people. Writing blog posts like you write an academic paper is not interesting to most people.  

We need creative ways to monetize projects and then funnel money into life extension research. And that doesn't have to be directly connected to LongeCity even, it could be something completely separate.

Leveraging skills of good writers, SEO, content marketing, networking, and marketplaces like Amazon, can bring in a lot of extra cash.  More money is good. 

Why I think this is a viable strategy is because most affiliate sites can be very passive and earn a lot of money. 

I get what you're saying... I got a bit disappointed with the progress and completely disillusioned about stuff. It's only fairly recently that I'm starting to feel a little more optimistic. I think that things are actually changing now. 

Anyway, I just wanted to throw out some ideas.

#7 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:37 PM

LongeCity is a 501©3 non-profit.

One requirement of such status is that the organization receive at least 33% of its income from broad-based donations. Last year our income from donations was just under 40%. We could not increase our ad revenue (by operating/owning SEO optimization sites) too much more without also raising our member/research donations.

Writing very good posts about various supplements and therapies in the LongeCity blog and then collecting adsense or amazon affiliate revenue is do-able. Operating SEO optimization sites, maybe not so much.

• Informative x 1

#8 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 April 2018 - 02:05 PM

Ohh I see. Okay, then that would definitely become an issue. I had no idea that you had to operate with that constraint. I guess most would have to be information articles, not content which is monetized.

Creating an LLC and operating lots of sites under that, would that be viable? I guess tax would eventually be pretty high...

I know someone who has about 40 niche websites and all earn money passively... They have about 30-50 articles per site.

#9 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 11:09 AM

If some members here wanted to create an off-site LLC, of course that is do-able.

I am sure there are some niche SEO opportunities out there, but I find it doubtful that it is "typical" to earn 5 to 10K per month.

LongeCity could not earn a ton of money through SEO optimization, but LongeCity could use some good articles, and we would get a boost in adsense revenue (which would be great), so keep that option open. Anyone who is a good writer can submit an article. If LongeCity publishes it, then you can earn up to $180.

• Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blog

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users