Vitamins/Minerals For Anxiety

vitamins minerals

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

What are some vitamins/minerals etc that have an effect on anxiety and what would the best form for bioavailability of said vitamin/mineral be?

so far my list is: B - complex , magnesium , vitamin C, Probiotics, vitamin e, Zinc, vitamin A, Vitamin D, Potassium

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#2 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:16 PM

Magnesium in some forms might have an effect upon anxiety,   but I don't see how those others ones would,   singularly.   I mean,   being less anxious  is attained with general overall health management.   I wouldn't eat an orange and expect the C in it to calm me down though.   I suppose D -- especially the NATURAL kind --  in the sun --  could be considered anxiety-reducing because one can relax in the sun.    

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:30 PM

Magnesium in some forms might have an effect upon anxiety,   but I don't see how those others ones would,   singularly.   I mean,   being less anxious  is attained with general overall health management.   I wouldn't eat an orange and expect the C in it to calm me down though.   I suppose D -- especially the NATURAL kind --  in the sun --  could be considered anxiety-reducing because one can relax in the sun.    

i thought maybe since vitamin c is an antioxidant it could help .

So magnesium the only vitamin that affects anxiety/fear? what form ?

• Disagree x 1

#4 classicstrat

• 8 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:37 AM

What are some vitamins/minerals etc that have an effect on anxiety and what would the best form for bioavailability of said vitamin/mineral be?

so far my list is: B - complex , magnesium , vitamin C, Probiotics, vitamin e, Zinc, vitamin A, Vitamin D, Potassium

Give nicotinic acid (niacin) a try. About 100mg on an empty stomach works for me.

#5 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 03:04 AM

That's funny you say that because I was curious to try the "flush version"  of niacin today.   Let me assure you,   it is NOT good for anxiety.   Luckily I enjoyed it the same way some might enjoy a roller coaster,   but that's only because I knew to expect it.   The person I was working with thought I was getting hives or something and I was tempted to pretend I was violently ill and go home,   but I explained what it was from.   

Magnesium according to many people is great for sleep,  relaxation,  calming the nerves,  toning the nerves,   leg cramps,  etc.  going back thousands of years.   People used to and still do bathe in epsom salts.     Essentially magnesium relaxes the bowels,   but it also relaxes the rest of the body --  and I am about to test it out tonight.   I am a VERY anxious typical hysterical female.   So if it works on me,   I'll shout it to the rooftops.   I am trying the kind many have suggested,  magnesium glycinate.   I will also trial a few other kinds.    It's such a basic thing,  magnesium is,  but if it works as well as some have claimed....well I'll eat my chapeau.

Definitely do not get the readily cheaply available magnesium citrate or oxide unless you really need to poop.   When people say magnesium is good for cramps and muscle tension,  they mean the other kinds -- glycinate being one.   So there IS a difference and that's what going online is for,  because a dumb doctor just told me,  magnesium,  without specifying.   I have gotten better health advice from here or other sites than from any doctor,  and that's just plain SAD.

#6 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Give nicotinic acid (niacin) a try. About 100mg on an empty stomach works for me.

Yeah I tried niacin the flush kind I remember it helped with anxiety  but only for like 30 minutes? Why does niacin help with anxiety and how can I make the effect last longer? Will  NR ( Nicotinamide Riboside ) do the same thing as niacin?

#7 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 01:57 PM

Inositol, acetyl N glucosamine, theanine, taurine- ya, not strictly vitamins or minerals, but whatever works.
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#8 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:25 PM

thanks looking for more suggestions dont have to be just vitamins!

#9 Supierce

• 94 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 10:41 PM

Apigenin, the active flavinoid in chamomile, works for me. It's available from Swanson and Amizon.

#10 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2018 - 04:30 PM

whats the best form of magnesium for anxiety? is it l -threonate? there are 6 different forms right?

Magnesium-forms.jpg

#11 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

https://www.globalhe...-mental-health/

#12 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

So from what I understand: Zinc,magnesium and b complex are involved in anxiety and maybe vitamin E+pottassium? thoughts?

Edited by farshad, 08 May 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#13 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 09:24 AM

Niacinamide can be anxiolytic through GABAergic mechanism. I remember 500 mg of it giving somewhat hypnotic effect.

#14 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

so I took 400mg of dr best magnesium then 1 hour later another 600mg so 1000mg max today.

I do feel a little bit calmer... my body is not as tensed up and I feel like my bowel movements speed up. 
Any idea how long it takes to help with anxiety? It does help a tiny bit with anxiety im a bit calmer as I said but it is not where I wish it to be, If I have been deficient in magnesium for a long time will it take long for it to start working and make a big difference?

(EDIT) took another 1000mg so 2000mg max today.. Will stop at at that, is 2000mg dangerous for me ?

Edited by farshad, 09 May 2018 - 12:50 PM.

#15 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 01:35 PM

If I have been deficient in magnesium for a long time will it take long for it to start working and make a big difference?

I've severe Mg-deficient and ramped up my daily dose to 2.5 of elemental Magnesium in the last 9 years (in average about 1.5 g during that time-period). However, it prevented only most severe muscle-cramps. Only since I started Mg-sulfate IVs last November I'm free of any cramps (additional to the 2.5g oral).

But we all have different precondition, so it might well work for you if you give it enough time. Didn't for me though.

Mg-toxicity is usually prevented by laxative stools at too high doses. However, to go sure there are more reliable bloodtests than serum (ie. RBC and whole blood).

#16 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

ok .. another thing I was wondering was the dosage confusing me:

Supplement Facts Serving Size: 3 Vegetarian Capsules Servings Per Container: 30   Amount Per Serving  36%Daily Value Magnesium (from 2000 mg Magtein magnesium L-threonate) 144 mg  

https://se.iherb.com...ggie-caps/40244

here is a l-threonate supplement... so if  I take 3 capsules how much magnesium am I getting? 144mg or 2000mg? Im confused by the 2000mg at the start and 36% daily value doesent seem to be much?

Im supposed to get 400mg magnesium daily from what ive read? so I need to take like 8-9 of this capsules daily?

the one I took today was https://se.iherb.com...-120-Tablets/15

20 capsules.. so did I take 20 grams of magnesium or 2grams?

Edited by farshad, 09 May 2018 - 02:19 PM.

#17 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:20 PM

With a serving of 3 capsules you'll get 144 mg of elemental Mg. The rest is L-threonate.

I tested all available Magnesium kinds, in my case only the total amount of elemental Mg would ease Muscle-cramps, not a particular kind. I tried for 9 years. But again, we all have different bio-chemical individuality.

the one I took today was https://se.iherb.com...-120-Tablets/15

20 capsules.. so did I take 20 grams of magnesium or 2grams?

20 capsules of this product gave you 2000 mg of elemental magnesium. Beside 18 g of lysine or/and glycine (proportions not specified).

Edited by pamojja, 09 May 2018 - 02:23 PM.

• Informative x 1

#18 kurdishfella

• Topic Starter
  • 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:40 PM

question: why does magnesium make me hate water? I used to love water but now water tastes disgusting to me and like I wanna drink as little as possible but it makes me eat more food without needing to drink.

Edited by farshad, 09 May 2018 - 08:40 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#19 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:38 PM

question: why does magnesium make me hate water?

One reason might be that taking a very high dose of anyone nutrient might increase the need for other nutrients involved. And the craving for foods is only a sign, that your body tries to get it from where it thinks its available. Eating too much food doesn't leaves as much space for water in the stomach.

That's why I increased each nutrient gradually, so that I could catch such interdependence early on. Like in the case of Mg, took me many years to get to a 2g per day intake, while you did in 1 day. In may case I could observe through effects and blood and mineral analysis that I need as least as much Potassium and Sodium supplemented as Magnesium not to create other electrolyte imbalances. While Calcium needed was a fraction only.

Edited by pamojja, 10 May 2018 - 01:14 PM.

#20 Richard Grasy

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 October 2021 - 01:08 PM

B12 
Chamomile tea 
Epsom salt
They certainly help manage but don't cure it. Just keep fighting. Anxiety is no fun, that's for sure!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#21 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 October 2021 - 11:16 PM

Unless you are seriously deficient in something, which is highly unlikely if you are in a first-world country, outside of a smidge of help with magnesium (and not guaranteed at all), you are not going to find anything in the way of vitamins or minerals that will help you with anxiety.

Is this acute or chronic anxiety? If it's the former. check out an herb called Ashwagandha. You can take it as needed, but it will become less effective with repeated consecutive use. For it to regain its full potency, you simply stop taking it for a bit. So it's ideal a few times a week or less.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamins, minerals

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users