mitoQ study - is it reliable really?

antioxidant

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:27 PM

this one seems encouraging but im not sure whats the deal with the broccoli picture...; https://www.scienced...80419141523.htm do you think its a reliable study? anyone has more studies to contribute or reports regarding mitoQ?  

#2 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

This is the study:

http://hyper.ahajour...ntent/71/6/1056

They only had 9 people on the MitoQ, so it's not clear to me if the study was powered enough to be reliable. The results look very promising, if they are in fact reliable.

Note that the dosage they used is 4 MitoQ capsules a day.

• Informative x 3
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:05 PM

9 people... it seems to me the company tried some kind of a trial and the way they represent it is a bit deceiving. anyway i made this thread to find people to discuss mitoQ and if they used it in the past or use it currently and report results. i need non-biased reports and people not associated with the company!

Edited by hazy, 11 May 2018 - 05:06 PM.

• Agree x 2

#4 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:58 PM

hmm i found this which is teaching new companies how to trial and advertise their products based on "research" ; https://onlinexperie...dients-usa.com/

it seems it just takes one webinar of this sort and companies producing things like mitoq come out as having reliable research behind them

• like x 1

#5 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:33 PM

The study was done mainly by University of Colorado at Boulder researchers, not by the company.

• Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#6 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 02:04 AM

The study was done mainly by University of Colorado at Boulder researchers, not by the company.

yes and the placebo group and active groups were switched out, and the active group showed positive ersults both times. IT looks like a solid beginner study to me. More study is needed sure

http://www.sci-news....sels-05936.html

study lead author Dr. Matthew Rossman, from the University of Colorado, Boulder.

For the study, Dr. Rossman and colleagues recruited 20 healthy men and women (60-79 years) from the Boulder area.

Half took 20 mg per day of MitoQ, made by chemically altering the naturally-occurring antioxidant Coenzyme Q10 to make it cling to mitochondria inside cells. The other half took a placebo.

After six weeks, the scientists assessed how well the lining of blood vessels, or the endothelium, functioned, by measuring how much subjects’ arteries dilated with increased blood flow.

Then, after a two-week ‘wash out’ period of taking nothing, the two groups switched, with the placebo group taking the supplement, and vice versa. The tests were repeated.

The researchers found that when taking the supplement, dilation of subjects’ arteries improved by 42%, making their blood vessels, at least by that measure, look like those of someone 15 to 20 years younger.

“An improvement of that magnitude, if sustained, is associated with about a 13% reduction in heart disease,” Dr. Rossman said.

The study also showed that the improvement in dilation was due to a reduction in oxidative stress.

• Informative x 4
  • like x 1

#7 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2018 - 05:24 PM

Even if it works it is priced ridiculously - same as BenaGene.

Few people will take it as a preventative supplement at this price point. They need to chop off the pricing by at least 30% if they want serious following.

Only seriously ill people will yield to the current price.

• Agree x 5
  • dislike x 1

#8 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:45 PM

its priced the same as NR is you take NR at therapuetic levels and people are going crazy for the NR so i dont really see a problem if it actually works 

• unsure x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:06 AM

its priced the same as NR is you take NR at therapuetic levels and people are going crazy for the NR so i dont really see a problem if it actually works 

Not even close - 60x5mg capsules for $60 vs 60x 150mg for $39 - both are good for a month at the recommended 2 caps per day.

So if you say people take more than that in NR for therapeutic purposes you should say the same for mitoQ too as 10mg per day is not doing something earth-shattering.

And I have already stated in the NR thread that NR is overpriced but mitoQ is ridiculously overpriced supplement, pure and simple.

• Agree x 4
  • dislike x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • like x 1

#10 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:35 AM

Not even close - 60x5mg capsules for $60 vs 60x 150mg for $39 - both are good for a month at the recommended 2 caps per day.

So if you say people take more than that in NR for therapeutic purposes you should say the same for mitoQ too as 10mg per day is not doing something earth-shattering.

And I have already stated in the NR thread that NR is overpriced but mitoQ is ridiculously overpriced supplement, pure and simple.

the mito q study showed affectiveness at 20 mg/day. So thats $60/mo for mitoq

NR you need at least 375, preferrably 500 mg/day for affective dose. at 475 mg/ day NR costs $80 /mo, at 375 mg/day its about $60/mo

so about the same  

• like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#11 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:54 AM

the mito q study showed affectiveness at 20 mg/day. So thats $60/mo for mitoq

NR you need at least 375, preferrably 500 mg/day for affective dose. at 475 mg/ day NR costs $80 /mo, at 375 mg/day its about $60/mo

so about the same  

I think you need to recheck your mitoQ math.

• Agree x 3

#12 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:56 AM

It takes 4 capsules to get 20 mg of MitoQ, so if you buy 3 bottles at a time, then it is around $112 per month.

• Agree x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#13 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 12:58 AM

I think you need to recheck your mitoQ math.

edit 

yeah you are correct 

i fell for the old "10 mg per serving" vs "10 mg per cap" routine 

Edited by Phoebus, 06 June 2018 - 01:05 AM.

• Cheerful x 1

#14 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:02 AM

Glad we cleared that up.  :)

Edited by aribadabar, 06 June 2018 - 01:09 AM.

• Good Point x 3

#15 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 01:05 AM

It takes 4 capsules to get 20 mg of MitoQ, so if you buy 3 bottles at a time, then it is around $112 per month.

yes, correct

• Cheerful x 1

#16 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:46 PM

well i have been taking NR for a long time with zero noticeable improvement in any physical or psychological health issues i have so i dumped that crap. if mitoQ is just as useless at that price, then fuck this, i learned a lesson

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Well Written x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#17 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 04:54 PM

well i have been taking NR for a long time with zero noticeable improvement in any physical or psychological health issues i have so i dumped that crap. if mitoQ is just as useless at that price, then fuck this, i learned a lesson

I tried both and I can say the same for NR - zero effect.

For mitoQ - if you take it orally at 10mg you won't feel jack. If you take it sublingually then maybe you could feel something and even that was temporary in my case.

• Agree x 2

#18 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 06 June 2018 - 11:06 PM

Daily use of supplements like mitoQ are a crutch, and an experiment running six weeks is not long enough unless you don't plan to live much longer. If you want long term benefit, you have to get rid of defective mitochondria.

• Needs references x 1
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#19 Slobec

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:45 AM

hmm i found this which is teaching new companies how to trial and advertise their products based on "research" ; https://onlinexperie...dients-usa.com/

it seems it just takes one webinar of this sort and companies producing things like mitoq come out as having reliable research behind them

Stick to melatonin, its natural and better.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#20 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:50 PM

how is a thread about mitoq related to melatonin now?

• Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#21 Slobec

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:29 AM

how is a thread about mitoq related to melatonin now?

Both are mitochondrial antioxidants and melatonin is better, natural and on top of that, cheaper.

Edited by Slobec, 12 June 2018 - 08:35 AM.

• like x 2
  • Needs references x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#22 Slobec

• 41 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 01:34 PM

Both are mitochondrial antioxidants and melatonin is better, natural and on top of that, cheaper.

https://www.research...Stress_A_Review

• unsure x 1
  • WellResearched x 1

#23 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 June 2018 - 04:39 PM

I just started 10mg/day MitoQ. Should I discontinue the 200mg ubiquinol/day I’ve always used or keep it?

Thanks

#24 normalizing

• Topic Starter
  • 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 01:01 AM

doubtful you will feel anything from either alone or combined so whatever you decide

• Disagree x 1

#25 Invicta Immortalem

• 18 posts

Posted 27 June 2018 - 04:58 AM

Please look on the following Quora subject, with two answers: in 2016 - dr. Aubrey de Grey, Biomedical gerontologist, Chief Science Officer of SENS Foundation and one year later, dr. Michael Rae, a research assistant at the SENS Foundation, related to MitoQ clinical studies toward aging damages restoration (and a surprising opinion on the Skulachev Ions effects):

https://www.quora.co...toQ#MoreAnswers

The future of research in this field seems to be Schriner's mitochondrially-targeted catalase:

https://www.research...to_mitochondria

Maybe future studies will conclude otherwise (for MitoQ).

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1

#26 Invicta Immortalem

• 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:39 PM

Please be aware of this recent study entitled:

The targeted anti‐oxidant MitoQ causes mitochondrial swelling and depolarization in kidney tissue

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5880956/

Any comments?

Edited by Invicta Immortalem, 27 July 2018 - 12:44 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#27 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2018 - 04:29 PM

Please be aware of this recent study entitled:

The targeted anti‐oxidant MitoQ causes mitochondrial swelling and depolarization in kidney tissue

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5880956/

Any comments?

Well that sucks. I’ve been on 20 mg the past 4 to 6 weeks. I wonder if any standard blood test I could get would show these negatives?
  • Agree x 1

#28 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:24 PM

Well that sucks. I’ve been on 20 mg the past 4 to 6 weeks. I wonder if any standard blood test I could get would show these negatives?

Did you see any positives?

#29 Puppalupacus

• 60 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

I took it for over a year and had zero perceivable benefit aside from less disposable income to spend on bad food.

• Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 July 2018 - 10:45 PM

Did you see any positives?

I’m such a mess it would be hard for me to tell LOL would a standard coenzyme Q 10 blood test show increased levels or does it not work like that?

Come to think of it the same I started I also started 25mg Cycloastragenol and 100mg astragaloside iv. The only thing I’ve noticed is there have been a lot of nights I’ve gotten low sleep from working late and normally my immune system takes a toll and I always get sick after three or four days of only a few hours of sleep but I haven’t gotten sick at all. Could be coincidence who knows.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antioxidant

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users