Proven Ways to Improve Memory Recall After 40

memory brain aging

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:24 PM

So my 44th birthday was in April. I'm noticing that more and more often I forget the names of actors. I don't know why I specifically notice that this is when I'm reaching for a name to fit a face but this is where it begins I guess. I know the face of the actor, I know the names of the movies, I even know things they've done and said, but their names just escape me. These are super famous ones too, like Bill Murray or Jennifer Lawrence. 

As someone who is fairly involved in improv comedy, memory recall is also super important to me. Not just short term but long term.

What are some ways I can drastically improve this?

I'm hoping they find some way in the future to improve the flow of the cerebral spinal fluid responsible for clearing out the buildup of junk responsible for this loss in function. Until then, what can be done? Aside from the obvious first 4 which I already do plenty of:

1. Fish oil, diet, etc

2. Quality sleep

3. Exercise

4. Sauna Use

5. ______

Edited by Nate-2004, 11 May 2018 - 02:50 PM.

#2 prunk

• 227 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:48 PM

For me everything that affects on noradrenaline has pretty noticeable effects on memory, short and long term. And galantamine also does a lot especially for verbal fluency, like I'm verbally ready all the time.

Edited by prunk, 11 May 2018 - 06:51 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:44 PM

Bacopa

#4 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Nate-2004, you do and take a lot of things. Maybe think back, and as one of your strategies,. try eliminating some things which have been added during the period which you seem to have deteriorated. Take any severe head shots during the last couple of years? Maybe a bike accident or something else?

Perhaps try taking some of your MCT oil before bed. This might give your body/brain more energy to do whatever processes take place during sleep. Might possibly even help things like higher than expected morning blood sugar due to there being some added ketones in your system. LLLT treatments are a very inexpensive thing to try using Lostfalco's thread on this site. He also has a large number of things, he and others have tried. All it takes is an infrared like this. https://www.amazon.c...luminator Light

Last page of the huge thread: https://www.longecit...urated/page-128

Edited by Heisok, 11 May 2018 - 08:34 PM.

#5 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2018 - 02:37 PM

Nate-2004, you do and take a lot of things. Maybe think back, and as one of your strategies,. try eliminating some things which have been added during the period which you seem to have deteriorated. Take any severe head shots during the last couple of years? Maybe a bike accident or something else?

Perhaps try taking some of your MCT oil before bed. This might give your body/brain more energy to do whatever processes take place during sleep. Might possibly even help things like higher than expected morning blood sugar due to there being some added ketones in your system. LLLT treatments are a very inexpensive thing to try using Lostfalco's thread on this site. He also has a large number of things, he and others have tried. All it takes is an infrared like this. https://www.amazon.c...luminator Light

Last page of the huge thread: https://www.longecit...urated/page-128

I've already eliminated quite a few things, I stick with what is shown to work as far as supplements go. My list isn't even remotely as long as it used to be. I did stop taking bacopa, ginseng, ginko and stuff. I could add that back. I recovered from the bike accident pretty quickly, not even sure I had a concussion from that. This has all been happening pretty slowly over the past several years but I notice it more and more.

Never tried MCT before bed, usually in the day time in coffee.

Why would LLLT help with memory?

Edited by Nate-2004, 12 May 2018 - 03:04 PM.

#6 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:52 PM

Hi Nate, I can not do any justice to the LLLT rationale. For me, I have some cognitive problems, possibly related to too many head injuries. I used the LED over a period of about 30 days with 26 treatments. My short term memory appeared to improve, my long term recall back 40 years definitely improved. (I could remember the names, and faces of individuals which I had worked with). This is a little embarrassing as it is not much compared to those who might have more normal memory, but small lists of things like the 7 unusual plants added to our property could be remembered.

Look at Lostfalco's thread pages 127 and 128, and the posts which mention LLLT. With that and the Selfhacked information, if your interest is piqued, then go further back in Lostfalcos thread. He also extensively cover brain issues icluding Prunk's mebntioned  Gallantamine

Joe Cohon:  "Whether you’re healthy or not, Low-Level Laser Therapy or LLLT is probably the single most effective tool for cognitive enhancementThe studies cited in this article are based on LLLT usage in various parts of the body, but LLLT works very similarly no matter where it’s pointed.  I’ve come across many studies that talk about the same mechanism’s no matter which cells/tissues are involved. The studies are all over the map here when it comes to quality.   The point is it’s safe and reason to experiment with and see if it works for you.  This post isn’t meant to prove anything, as none of my posts are.  They are to give you some food for thought."  https://www.selfhack...tice_the_period

He is pushing an expensive device, but the LED's have been used.

Edited by Heisok, 12 May 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#7 Oakman

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:36 PM

If there is any way to (thing that will) 'drastically improve' memory function, it won't be quick. Rather, it would be a slow positive progression. If you think you may have plaques, it took time to get them, it'll take time to flush them out. If you have been killing your neurons with anything, it will take time to regrow them with something else. If that is even possible to a useful extend.

I'd venture the best way to maintain/improve memory and function, is simply to use it as hard as possible. If the mind is actively pursing some new skill or intrigue, rather than day-in day-out autopilot, it can use memory/brain supplements. I've tried several 'brain booster' supplements, not much seems to change. I'm currently a few weeks into using "Brain Support". It's 13 ingredients are intriguing. Also, it combines a number of things I'd possibly take anyway saves doing it separately.

Besides, because we all obsess over all the stuff we do on this forum, shows our minds are already engaged and active (overactive)? Anyway, the point of a life well lived is to be learning every chance possible.

LLLT: I've had over 40 full body LED Therapy sessions @660nm since January. I can't say much about memory or cognition improvements, but it does improve the skin (or whatever I've pointed it at) and especially radically speeds up healing and perhaps hair growth. Things like that are easy to notice. But for the brain, from what I've read, I'm guessing intranasal LLLT would offer the best therapy. There are some interesting sites out there, just search. Alternatively, LLLT on the body does the blood too - that has to help the brain. 

Edited by Oakman, 12 May 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#8 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:24 AM

Meditation will improve memory recall.

#9 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

@Oakman

I agree, practice improves memory. I think it's strange that most of my issues involve recalling names, not just of actors but of characters. Not so much people I engage and interact with all the time, but when seeing a guy on TV or in a Movie or just making conversational reference and I'm like, reaching for the name of the guy and I see his face but his name is just gone. What's surprising is some of these are people so famous that it's baffling to me as to why I would forget it. Maybe it's common for everyone, maybe it's an age thing, but it's frustrating and somewhat scary.

I plan to try making more of a concerted effort to commit names to memory when I find one I've forgotten. Like Bill Murray or Chris Hemsworth or Ryan Gosling. It's funny though that I very rarely forget an actresses name especially if I find them super attractive. It's like I'm tapping into deeper hormonal signals that keep that memory in place.

By the way, the LLLT you're doing was 650nm, which doesn't really penetrate beyond bone. The LLLT lights I have are 850 and 650 combinations. I tried it last night, can't speak anything beyond possible placebo effect. I'll keep doing it though because it's easy and it feels good.

@ryukenden yes, I definitely need to do that more often I've gotten out of the habit again and normally I do this in the sauna. The sauna should be helping a lot with this as is but not enough obviously.

I thought maybe since I can play the piano that making up songs, aka musical improv, may help with recall of words. Also talking to a camera might help. These are things they tell you to do in more advanced improv classes. I guess memory recall really only works if you actually put yourself into situations where you're having to recall words more often or reach for them quickly and often.

#10 Oakman

Posted 14 May 2018 - 06:00 PM

@Oakman

I agree, practice improves memory. I think it's strange that most of my issues involve recalling names, not just of actors but of characters. Not so much people I engage and interact with all the time, but when seeing a guy on TV or in a Movie or just making conversational reference and I'm like, reaching for the name of the guy and I see his face but his name is just gone. What's surprising is some of these are people so famous that it's baffling to me as to why I would forget it. Maybe it's common for everyone, maybe it's an age thing, but it's frustrating and somewhat scary.

I plan to try making more of a concerted effort to commit names to memory when I find one I've forgotten. Like Bill Murray or Chris Hemsworth or Ryan Gosling. It's funny though that I very rarely forget an actresses name especially if I find them super attractive. It's like I'm tapping into deeper hormonal signals that keep that memory in place.

By the way, the LLLT you're doing was 650nm, which doesn't really penetrate beyond bone. The LLLT lights I have are 850 and 650 combinations. I tried it last night, can't speak anything beyond possible placebo effect. I'll keep doing it though because it's easy and it feels good.

@ryukenden yes, I definitely need to do that more often I've gotten out of the habit again and normally I do this in the sauna. The sauna should be helping a lot with this as is but not enough obviously.

I thought maybe since I can play the piano that making up songs, aka musical improv, may help with recall of words. Also talking to a camera might help. These are things they tell you to do in more advanced improv classes. I guess memory recall really only works if you actually put yourself into situations where you're having to recall words more often or reach for them quickly and often.

Well, you at least have some company. I have the exact same memory problems as you describe, but then, I'm 25 yrs your senior! Don't know whether that's a good or bad sign for you. Actually, my names memory has never been that good, so I don't think it's gotten worse, just not better!

But no, my LLLT panels (4 x 1'x1' panels,  225 diodes/panel) are 660nm, or is advertised as such, and was the reason I got them as most are 620nm or 800+nm. I'm not trying to go thru bone, but if you want to try LLLT for brain health, use intranasal, and apparently the brain is right there and can be targeted.

#11 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:48 PM

Well, you at least have some company. I have the exact same memory problems as you describe, but then, I'm 25 yrs your senior! Don't know whether that's a good or bad sign for you. Actually, my names memory has never been that good, so I don't think it's gotten worse, just not better!

But no, my LLLT panels (4 x 1'x1' panels,  225 diodes/panel) are 660nm, or is advertised as such, and was the reason I got them as most are 620nm or 800+nm. I'm not trying to go thru bone, but if you want to try LLLT for brain health, use intranasal, and apparently the brain is right there and can be targeted.

Ah from what I'd read quite some time ago when I first bought this thing, I read that 850nm went through pretty deep, even easily through 3cm of bone (the human skull is around 7mm max) while 660 was surface level.

How in the world would I go intranasal? Hahaha

I'll see how this goes just putting it on my head.

#12 Oakman

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:30 AM

Ah from what I'd read quite some time ago when I first bought this thing, I read that 850nm went through pretty deep, even easily through 3cm of bone (the human skull is around 7mm max) while 660 was surface level.

How in the world would I go intranasal? Hahaha

I'll see how this goes just putting it on my head.

You could get an Amazon device for fun, or if you search the web, there are more products that purport to directly stimulate the brain. 

#13 9lives

• 33 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:06 AM

Similar to Prunk's comment, things that increase catecholamines. Lion's Mane, which is a nootropic, accomplishes this.

Outside of the things already mentioned, it can depend on what you're deficient in. With myself - I noticed a boost when I stepped up my olive oil intake, magnesium threonate, and liposomal B12. Lots of good science behind them.

With just the above, I can honestly say my cognitive function is stronger than ever at 44.

Brain games like Lumosity help too.

• Informative x 1

#14 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 11:18 PM

Remembering names is Semantic Memory

Vitamin intake is associated with improved visuospatial and verbal semantic memory in middle-aged individuals.

RESULTS:

In both cohorts, individuals who reported regular intake of vitamins, particularly B vitamins, showed significantly better performance in visuospatial associative memory and verbal semantic memory (P < 0.001). A significant association was also found between homocysteine levels, vitamin serum concentration and visuospatial associative memory performance which indicated that individuals with high B vitamin and homocysteine levels showed better visuospatial associative memory performance than individuals with low vitamin B levels (P < 0.05).

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/29098943

Edited by metabrain, 31 May 2018 - 11:19 PM.

• Informative x 2

#15 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:15 PM

You could get an Amazon device for fun, or if you search the web, there are more products that purport to directly stimulate the brain. 

I actually started using something like this that I already had and there is certainly some improvement but I can't say that it isn't some other confounding factor just yet.

#16 Nate-2004

• Topic Starter
  • 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 June 2018 - 08:19 PM

Remembering names is Semantic Memory

I do take B vitamins frequently. It certainly helps in conjunction with lithium orotate and egcg but not to any significant degree I don't think. 

On more obvious things, I stopped vaping my THC/CBD for a couple of weeks and that had a pretty acute effect on memory most likely due to the increase in REM sleep I am getting. I think I will start just doing that stuff less frequently, but I wasn't doing it more than three times a week to begin with. It may be better if kept to once every couple of weeks so that it leaves your system more quickly and is not in your system nearly as much of the time.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#17 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 April 2021 - 06:24 PM

https://www.sciencea...than-we-thought

The article says our memories could be 1 million gb of space but I believe tens of millions of gb capable. 

it says to open it up by meditation. And our brains dont just store it in the way we think by our senses but also by energy frequency and vibration etc

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: memory, brain, aging

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users