Need help with Serotonin

serotonin

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:51 PM

I know different receptors do different things but man o man serotonin is hard to nail. I was on lexapro for 7 years and weaned off over a 6mo period. I’ve noticed I’m more manic lately with increased anxiety and increased need for recreational drug use to try and feel normal/motivated. I even picked up a pack of cigarettes the other day and I don’t even smoke. I’m on vyvanse which I need to function but I think I’m not getting proper serotonin. This is where I’m confused. Lexapro worked for me the first year then it would fade until dose was increased. The thing is, I don’t want to be on an SSRI. Who knows what kind of side effects they will find with Lexapro 20yrs from now. I’m wondering what else I can take that will impact the same serotonin receptors as Lexapro? I tried 5htp and L tryptophan and it was fine at night but not during the day. Sam-e I just started and I think it’s working but again I can’t test it during the day as I can’t afford to be tired all day. Then you have herbs like sceletium tortuosum and Polygala tenuifolia and then stuff like Tianeptine,etc... it’s like I don’t even know where to begin.

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 05:56 PM

Bacopa increases serotonin biosynthesis (tryptophan hydroxylase) and serotonin transporter expression. It also has modulatory effects on serotonin receptors such as 5-HT1A and 5-HT2C. I always found it the most pleasant serotonergic.

Edited by Galaxyshock, 18 May 2018 - 06:00 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

Thanks. I actually ordered some from nootropics depot. I ordered the
BaCognize® Bacopa Monnieri Extract Powder and the Synapsa Bacopa Monnieri Powder | Whole Plant Extract

I think I’ll give it a try late day as I don’t want to be tired all day.

#4 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:35 AM

What about Emoxypine and polygala tenuifolia? Do you know much about them for serotonin?

#5 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

I'm not very familiar with those as I haven't tried them myself. NeuroNootropic mentioned me that Polygala may actually be anti-serotonergic (and anti-dopaminergic):

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/11812522

http://en.cnki.com.c...JY201105008.htm

Emoxypine seems pretty interesting drug, I took a quick look and it doesn't appear to directly affect serotonin though.

#6 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:12 PM

Thanks. Any luck with Sam-e?

#7 kurdishfella

• 2,397 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2019 - 03:24 AM

I think you can have genetic testing to see if you have short or long serotonin transporters. If you have long variants you will have more serotonin to your brain, but if you have short ones you will have less.

#8 jack black

• 1,294 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:30 PM

agmatine somehow works on 5HT receptors (not fully known mechanism), but it's obviously weaker than SSRI. you can search for my long thread in supplements subforum.

microdosing SSRI is also a good option to avoid side effects. a few threads on that too if you search.

and finely, you have an option of microdosing LSD and DMT analogs, but that can be illegal in your location.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Mr Serendipity

• 982 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:53 PM

5000 I.U Vitamin D a day

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: serotonin

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users