PRL-8-53, dopamine agonist or not? [speculation]

prl-8-53 memory working memory dopamine agonist dopamine daws nootropics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RegainBrain

• 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

PRL-8-53 is a very mysterious drug, which seems a little bit to overhyped for me in the whole nootropic scene (due the lack of research. All informations, you can find in the internet, are based on only one study from 1974 *).

It should be a strong memory enhancer in general (both memory and working memory) by increasing LTP.

Since there is no really research behind all, it's a brave thing, to take it (especially in the long term).

Because I'm stupid, I experimented with PRL a lot and took various dosages (range: 3-30mg oral and/or sublingual, rarely intranasal [it's acidic]).

My question is, what you guys think about the possibility, that this is a dopamine agonist?

I'm afraid of taking a dopamine agonist, because of the potential DAWS, which can lead to denervation. But also, because of it's possible side effects on the dopaminergic system.

Can someone, who took dopamine agonists and PRL, say, if there were similarities in the side effects?

Or those, who only used dopamine agonists, can you list the most pronounced side effects you had ? 

(only healthy individuals, who used it for experimental/nootropic related reasons). 

My side effects were:

sense of hyperthermia : sometimes, it feels like fever, but when I measure my body temperatur, everything is normal...

low blood pressure: I also have naturally a lowered blood pressure

When I overdosed:

headache (in the front reagions of my head)

insomnia

PS: sorry for ugly english, not my mother tongue...

• Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • like x 1

#2 RegainBrain

• Topic Starter
  • 14 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

No one?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:40 PM

Never used PRL but I used .5-1mg/wk cabergoline for 6+years straight. I noticed while on it that psychosis could come on easier. I also noticed a much higher volume of semen when ejaculating. Probably triple the amount. After abruptly stopping I actually did not notice any side effects at all other than the amount of semen returning to normal.

Also this study was done on rats but it appears to be a dopamine agonist.

https://examine.com/...ments/prl-8-53/

Edited by John250, 31 May 2018 - 07:50 PM.

#4 Painkillerrr

• 116 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 June 2018 - 10:30 AM

i have got the same side effect on prl, wested 50$ to get headache; i really doubt it is a dopamine agonist since it has no stimulant effect on me, hyperthermia due to stims is "real", your body temperature can rise to 38 and higher.

#5 owtsgmi

• 162 posts

Posted 26 July 2018 - 05:58 AM

I have been using PRL-8-53 for 2 years now each morning at 5mg or so (among other things).  I am very sensitive to most nootropics, so I notice the effect even at this dose.  It provides better memory, better focus, processing old thoughts, etc.  My feeling is that it is more of an acetylcholine enhancer instead of a dopamine agonist.  It might give you a headache, etc at high doses, but, if it does, just lower the dose - you take this for acetylcholine processing (memory/focus), not for dopamine.  And, it will not give you DAWS unless you go nuts and take a LOT over a period of time (it can enhance dopamine).  If you want to stack it with a friendlier dopamine enhancer/modulator (MILDLY-stimulating), try Bromantane or Semax (and, maybe Tianeptine and Phenylpiracetam), although cycling may be appropriate.  So, I do PRL/Coluracetam for acetylcholine enhancement, and Bromantane/Semax for dopamine enhancement.  The latter is still a work in progress, but it's looking good so far.  HTH.

Edited by owtsgmi, 26 July 2018 - 06:01 AM.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

#6 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

imo it has no real stimulant effect, but I find its effects rather obvious at 10mg (very unique effects, and in particular it seems to affect my visual ability and memory related to that, things seem to run a bit more fluid as well)

the only similarity with dexamphetamine or methylphenidate, that I once experienced when I took prl-853 for many weeks at maybe 10 mg per day or maybe more, is I started getting really really tired in the morning. similar to how people who take "very large" (maybe 50mg+/day) doses of instant release dexamphetamine say they feel in the morning (some at least get a crash, I never got that with prescription stims tho but I always used very low doses). edit: also I do think prl-853 promotes wakefulness, but in a much more subtle way than caffeine, amphetamine or MPH. Some people have said that they think PRL-853 is great for this purpose, staying awake. Idk about that, I suspect 5 mg dexamphetamine sulphate will be quite a lot stronger than 10-20 mg prl-853 in these terms, but for sure it does seem to have some wakefulness promotion on me. Overall just a really subtle substance IMO.

I will def. try to get more of this in the future, will use up the remainder of my vial and see how I feel once it's used up.

What I really like about it is that it lacks the "dirty" energetic feel a lot of racetams can give, and it doesn't seem to cause some of the cholinergic side-effects like headache and neck tension (which I get from pretty much all racetams and from nicotine, at least over time those (side)-effects build up). So it's really subtle. I only really took around 10mg doses, and I don't really see a reason to take it many times per day, like I can't notice where it starts and stops really. So in terms of side-effect profile I put it on par with low dose lisdexamfetamine (Vyvanse/Elvanse), i.e. no side-effects for me. (Except again I think maybe over time I got that tiredness in the morning from prl, but I hope that was just a coincidence, I had a lot of stuff messed up with my brain around 2014)

If you want to "feel" something like a quasi stimulant kick then just go buy some racetam (not fasoracetam that's rather subtle) like phenylpiracetam or just piracetam, then there's a decent chance you can feel enhanced (but I think most of those don't do much positive besides the psychological --- and for me most of them are terrible, just give me headaches and fog).

Edited by Keizo, 11 June 2020 - 01:57 PM.

#7 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

the thing with dopamine agonists too (amphetamine might not even be considered a "true" dopamine agonist, technically it's perhaps a DRA (dopamine releasing agent) + much more) is they can have rather varied effects. even with dexamphetamine some people get sleepy from it (I think in particular in extremely low doses and extremely high doses, and when one isn't used to the substance, just going by what I've heard people say). when I first tried dexamphetamine I tried taking 2.5mg (half a tablet) a few times per day, and I almost fell asleep every time, then that totally changed over time. but still to this day MPH and d-amph. does make me slightly tired now and then (usually not).

then you can read about the wild stories about the anti-parkinsons dopamine agonists, read the side-effect lists and so on, it's rather varied the effects. e.g. pramipexole, ropinirole.

similar thing with levodopa, at least for parkinsons disease. but I've read stories here on this forum and elsewhere, people taking e.g. pramipexole or selegiline (MAO-B inhibitor) without having PD, and effects vary quite a lot.

Edited by Keizo, 11 June 2020 - 02:24 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Keizo

• 483 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:21 PM

PRL-853 does seem like a bit of a mystery. https://www.longecit...e-2#entry672352

Edited by Keizo, 11 June 2020 - 02:23 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prl-8-53, memory, working memory, dopamine agonist, dopamine, daws, nootropics

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users