Myalgias after l-tryptophan, EMS?

tryptophan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 muntjac

• 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2018 - 11:26 AM

I took 5-HTP in doses of 50-100 mg for sleep while using l-tyrosine. I discontinued it because I developed itching and a cough with each use. Next I tried l-tryptophan, at a dose of 35 mg to test for this same reaction. About an hour later I developed the same itch, with the new symptom of migrating muscle pain. It's been 9 hours and I woke with the same myalgias and itching.  :sad: The pain is mild, but I'm worried about Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome, is there anything I can do?

#2 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2018 - 04:32 PM

I took 5-HTP in doses of 50-100 mg for sleep while using l-tyrosine. I discontinued it because I developed itching and a cough with each use. Next I tried l-tryptophan, at a dose of 35 mg to test for this same reaction. About an hour later I developed the same itch, with the new symptom of migrating muscle pain. It's been 9 hours and I woke with the same myalgias and itching. :sad: The pain is mild, but I'm worried about Eosinophilia-Myalgia Syndrome, is there anything I can do?

What brand is the tryptophan? This was a problem years ago with tryptophan coming from China but should not be an issue with any tryptophan from the United States.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 muntjac

• Topic Starter
  • 56 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2018 - 08:51 PM

It was BulkSupplements, given that I reacted to the 5-HTP as well, it's very unlikely contamination. There's debate about whether contamination plays any role. The symptoms have improved over the day but are still present, I'm going to try to get a blood test for an eosinophil count and will update if I do.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 21 October 2020 - 07:08 AM

I recently had quite noticeable muscle soreness in both my quadriceps after ingesting a single dose of 2,5g tryptophan, that I couldn't explain with any physical activity (felt exactly like that though). didn't know about the syndrome at the time, and stumbled on it by chance.

no-name product so probably from china, took it to tackle breathing issues when sleeping and SAD. bummer.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tryptophan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users