• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Gary Taubes' 40 Million Dollar Low-Carb Failure

quack grease fatty food ketogenic gary taubes low carb insulin obesity waste of money

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 misterE

• 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:13 AM

I love picking on Taubes, he is such an easy target. Long story short: Taubes raised 40 million dollars with NuSi to research his faulty theory of obesity, claiming that energy is being driven into adipocytes by insulin, and that insulin is the result of carbohydrates. Taubes always bitched about how studies couldn't proved his theory because it was "bad science", so he designed the study to his liking... and yet it still failed miserably.

Now back to reality:

Of course insulin drives energy into storage, that is what keeps us alive and regenerating. Obesity is caused by a LACK of storage, usually caused by insulin-resistance, meaning the storage-signal insulin normally sends is not being received. This causes a build up of protein, sugar and fatty-acids in the bloodstream, causing obesity and the metabolic-dysfunctions seen with obesity. These excessive fatty-acids not being sequestered in the adipocytes, accumulate outside of the fat-cells and inside and around vital organs in a process called lipotoxicity.

Edited by misterE, 20 June 2018 - 02:15 AM.

• Agree x 5
  • Ill informed x 4

#2 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2018 - 07:54 AM

I didn't like the video format, as it is hard to read the charts and I don't really want the running interpretation. Interesting result, although it looks like it only covered 30 days, so we're only talking about a few pounds of weight loss. Perhaps that's long enough to test the insulin theory, but I don't see how the study would shed much light on long-term health or weight loss.

Personally I am pretty convinced that sugar is the biggest villain in the typical diet, but I don't care much about ketogenic vs. non-ketogenic.

• Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 misterE

• Topic Starter
  • 1,035 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 July 2018 - 05:39 PM

Personally I am pretty convinced that sugar is the biggest villain in the typical diet, but I don't care much about ketogenic vs. non-ketogenic.

The study was done over 2 months...

Too much sugar can be a problem because it basically blunts fat-oxidation. But I think the largest culprit in the diet is oil. Oil contains over twice the calories per gram than sugar. Many of these oils contain a "double-whammy" in that not only do they contain densely packed calories but also a lot of omega-6, which then forms many unhealthy metabolites.

I also think "running on fat" or using fatty-acids as a fuel source is fine, in the context of fasting, but not in the context of eating a low-carb/high-fat diet like so many people are doing nowadays.

• Agree x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quack, grease, fatty food, ketogenic, gary taubes, low carb, insulin, obesity, waste of money

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users