• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Milk as easy trick for better absorption of supplements?

bioabsorption

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MattH

• 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2018 - 05:30 AM

Some nootropics or supplements are fat-soluble, which increases their absorption with fat or more or less requires it. Alternatively there are sometimes solutions like Piperine (black pepper). Often because of this it is suggested to take them with Lecithin, oil or in some special prepared form.

Doesn't milk also work? Or yoghurt?

I'm asking in the case of Forskolin, for example.

Edited by MattH, 28 July 2018 - 05:31 AM.

#2 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 11:51 AM

Yes milk will help since it is fatty but milk is designed to make young animals fat so it will pile on the pounds. If I use skimmed milk with Whey protein I get insufficient absorption, full fat will give me correct absorption. A glass of milk should be enough but a full fat meal would be better because the food is also slowing the absorption of the substance.

Edited by metabrain, 28 July 2018 - 11:52 AM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MattH

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:06 PM

Good, thanks. This makes things easier, now one only needs to figure out which supplements can benefit from it. Forskolin I have pointed out. I have even heard of Curcumin to work the same way beforehand. Green Tea Extract I think should work too - although I have heard in turn that milk in ordinary tea binds the substances, so maybe one should use something else (Lecithin).

#4 metabrain

• 302 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 12:21 PM

Curcumin + Piperine,  Piperine will enhance the potency of Curcumin. You can purchase large bags of both and mix them together.

You can mix this into a milk like tea but reduce the pepper.

As for milk as an enhancer alone, hmmm I am not sure. You can start here

https://www.google.i.....0._0Utuop4cAQ

#5 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 07:21 AM

Remember that lecithin is a choline precursor.  Some of us are very sensitive to those and sides from supplemental doses can include intense anxiety, stomach discomfort, and feelings of despair.  It's unusual, but it does happen to some people like myself.

#6 MattH

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:06 PM

Another question that is practical to ask in relation to this topic is what might be interfered with by this method of ingestion, or milk.

For example, not asking if it might benefit from it (somehow I don't think so at all), but might Sodium Butyrate be interfered with by milk?

Then maybe, is Berberine fine with milk? (I think Berberine often comes as a Hydrochloride.)

#7 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 02:18 AM

antioxidants might be interfered with by milk.  Not saying avoid it all the time, just hang the ol' question mark.  I personally drink milk "some weeks," not others

• dislike x 1

#8 MattH

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2018 - 11:47 AM

Okay, here is a good one whose absorption also seems to be a bit of a mystery and tendentially bad: What about Amentoflavones?

This is recommended for example here as a Kappa receptor blocker (related to hormones), and it is a very recent substance that is much speculated about:

https://www.longecit...al-dysfunction/

(You probably have to click the link in that thread to find it mentioned.)

One probably needs at leaast basic biochemical knowledge to speculate about its absorption - with milk, yes. Results by googling seem about it on its own to be contradictory, and like I said tendentially bad (if they are good then it's often against expectations or very complicated).

Edited by MattH, 02 August 2018 - 11:53 AM.

#9 Galaxyshock

• 1,460 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 12:31 PM

Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#10 MattH

• Topic Starter
  • 16 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 August 2018 - 03:27 PM

So list the stuff you think one should drink with alcohol for optimal absorption.

I'd rather take a sip of milk than putting money down for Piperin or "researching" other special and expensive complements for everything, if I don't have to. People here seem to have a bad attitude.

If milk works that should even be a standard advice before anything else... (Because it's so easy.)

The question stands for Amentoflavone... It would break the internet (relevant sections, or at least certain threads) if that's all it needs.

Edited by MattH, 02 August 2018 - 03:31 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 02 August 2018 - 05:35 PM

If milk works that should even be a standard advice before anything else... (Because it's so easy.)

Maybe I'm a special case, but I became prediabetic and could control it by reducing carbs-containing foods. Of course, sugar and grains had to go first, but close after already the milk in my coffee, because it contributed to too many carbs in todo.

However, nothing lost. By low-carbing one naturally increases healthy fats in one's diet, which is aiding absorption of many fat-soluble nutrients just as well, if not better as already mentioned.

Also Piperine isn't something that special, since it is readily found at 1-2% in long pepper, and 5-10% in white and black pepper. And I already get peppers at sufficient amounts each day.

Edited by pamojja, 02 August 2018 - 05:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users