- - - - -

Glutamine and extreme irritability

glutamine glutamate protein

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 experimenting

• 639 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

Trying this out as a workout supplement and it is...weird.

Makes me feel loose, confident, great initially.

Later on, it produces itching and a horribly dysphoria/irritability.

Anyone have any idea what’s going on?

#2 Jiminy Glick

• 235 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 02:15 AM

Because your body is producing glutamate from it as well and for some reason you do not have a good balance with gaba. Try taking it with l-theanine and experiment with the dosage range. Or maybe try taking it with ashwagandha, or taurine, there are many other substances you can take with it to increase relaxation. 

Edited by Jiminy Glick, 08 August 2018 - 02:17 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 10:18 AM

You have a very common GAD enzyme mutation found in Europeans. I have it as well.

Glutamine gets converted to glutamate and glutamate activates mGluR5. This causes itchiness and extreme irritability/rage. mGluR5 then potentiates NMDA signaling (but NMDA antagonists don't work in my opinion).

Irritability in autism is caused by serotonin and glutamate. In the case of glutamate it's the exact same cause as what's causing it in you.

Creatine works to lower brain glutamate levels and is highly effective for removing the itchiness and the irritability.

Keep in mind that glutamate is neurotoxic and a very common cause of neurotoxicity in people. What I experience after the itchiness and irritability is problems focusing my attention, I almost become disorganized. And it lasts for days. Not sure if it's due to neurotoxicity or some rebound effect from the elevated glutamate but if I were you I'd be careful.

If you respond to glutamine this way then you should experience similarly that caffeine causes the same at high dosages, though mildly.

Keto diet is a good way to make sure glutamate levels fall. With keto diet I suffer none of these side-effects (except enhanced focus problems).

#4 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 09 August 2018 - 05:47 PM

You have a very common GAD enzyme mutation found in Europeans. I have it as well.
Glutamine gets converted to glutamate and glutamate activates mGluR5. This causes itchiness and extreme irritability/rage. mGluR5 then potentiates NMDA signaling (but NMDA antagonists don't work in my opinion).
Irritability in autism is caused by serotonin and glutamate. In the case of glutamate it's the exact same cause as what's causing it in you.
Creatine works to lower brain glutamate levels and is highly effective for removing the itchiness and the irritability.

Keep in mind that glutamate is neurotoxic and a very common cause of neurotoxicity in people. What I experience after the itchiness and irritability is problems focusing my attention, I almost become disorganized. And it lasts for days. Not sure if it's due to neurotoxicity or some rebound effect from the elevated glutamate but if I were you I'd be careful.

If you respond to glutamine this way then you should experience similarly that caffeine causes the same at high dosages, though mildly.

Keto diet is a good way to make sure glutamate levels fall. With keto diet I suffer none of these side-effects (except enhanced focus problems).

Very helpful, thank you guys.

Are you supplementing with creatine? Any reasons not to?

I too as you point out note a miserable fog after glutamine supplementation. Interestingly none of this happens when I take glutamine as part of a normal protein shake...must be an absorption competition thing.

Tried glycine and it seems to have similar effects...enhancing glutamate and causing irritation.

Thoughts on what I could supplement?

#5 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:57 PM

Very helpful, thank you guys.

Are you supplementing with creatine? Any reasons not to?

I too as you point out note a miserable fog after glutamine supplementation. Interestingly none of this happens when I take glutamine as part of a normal protein shake...must be an absorption competition thing.

Tried glycine and it seems to have similar effects...enhancing glutamate and causing irritation.

Thoughts on what I could supplement?

Glycine increases nmda signaling which in turn increases sensitivity of 5ht2a and causes irritability. Potassium iodide has antiserotonergic properties and seems to reduce these side-effects.

Keto diet would also reduce side-effects although consuming glycogenic amino acids is a bad idea on keto diet (they kick you out of ketosis).

• Needs references x 1

#6 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 11:59 PM

Glycine increases nmda signaling which in turn increases sensitivity of 5ht2a and causes irritability. Potassium iodide has antiserotonergic properties and seems to reduce these side-effects.
Keto diet would also reduce side-effects although consuming glycogenic amino acids is a bad idea on keto diet (they kick you out of ketosis).

Hmm, it’s a shame, I liked the effects of glycine on cognition, really helps me learn.

What’s your stack to mitigate this issue (apart from keto?)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 experimenting

• Topic Starter
  • 639 posts

Posted 16 August 2018 - 02:23 PM

Bump. Would vitamin B6 help the glutamate gaba cycle?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glutamine, glutamate, protein

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users