Iodine discussion revival

iodine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dosquito

• 253 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 01:32 PM

Hi all,

I got into the "iodine crowd" when I was a teenager. I never kept it up for more than a few months at a time, but there were days that I had 50mg of iodoral. 

Now i am researching things again, and finding out that elemental iodine is toxic as hell...

There was even a guy who suggested that it would directly cause blindness by destroying my macula. Yet in my last eye exam I was able to read half of the 20/10 line with full vision correction. That's about as good as the macula gets.

I took a half iodoral last night because I was feeling sluggish (26 years old now) and it definitely perked me up, especially my body temperature.

Is this playing with fire?

Did I damage my thyroid as a teen?

I was generally good about taking the companion nutrients

Edited by dosquito, 21 August 2018 - 01:42 PM.

#2 baccheion

• 154 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:44 AM

Iodine is problematic. At iodine protocol amounts (<= 50 mg), it shouldn't matter if taken with companion nutrients (200 mcg L-selenomethionine, 400-600 mg chelated/TRAACS magnesium, etc). There's also SSKI which is much more flexible, as it's primarily potassium iodide.

Edited by baccheion, 27 August 2018 - 06:47 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Balfi

• 28 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:42 AM

How about natural sources of iodine from Kelp, seafood, etc?

• Agree x 1

#4 dosquito

• Topic Starter
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:48 AM

I’ve been taking iodoral again for a week and i feel amazing. It gives me the energy to live my life and have fun. I did notice some swelling in my neck but it seems to be getting better rather than worse

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:24 PM

, and finding out that elemental iodine is toxic as hell...

There was even a guy who suggested that it would directly cause blindness by destroying my macula..

Did I damage my thyroid as a teen?

Iodine is a essential nutrient and was widely used as medicine in much higher doses before the rise of antibiotics. If you found no evidence in the scientific literature for such outrageous claims of harm - but only rumors - why even give a thought to such a question?

However, best to ascertain your thyroid is alright is to do an ultrasound of your thyroid and test for free t3, free t4, TSH, and thyroid antibodies in serum. If some markers are off, very worthwhile to monitor for longer time-span at varying iodine intakes. Thyroid gland is too important to have it in a subclinical condition, with or without high-dose iodine. Only by monitoring thyroid one also finds the individual sweet-spot of supportive nutrients intake. I found a sudden raise in iodine intake (also tried up to 50 mg lugols and up to 100 mg potassium iodide) does elevate TSH initially (but still within normal range), but normalizes very fast again. Also my thyroid shrunk from borderline enlarged (goiter) by in average 12 mg/d iodine intake for 10 year. Your results will vary.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iodine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users