Homocysteine levels

homocysteine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:50 PM

Is it good to have Homocysteine on the lower end? I got blood work done a few months ago when I was in really bad shape, lots of recreational drugs, bad diet not training, etc. and my Homocysteine was 4.6 range 0-15

Obviously elevated Homocysteine is bad but does one always want it lower? Like for example is it healthier if I was at zero or 1 vs 4.6?

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:30 PM

https://www.labtestanalyzer.com gives the optimal range at 5 - 9 umol/L.

Homocysteine is necessary for the production of factors important for detoxification. Low homocysteine may restrict detoxification pathways that respond to oxidative stress [R].

Low homocysteine is associated with nerve damage of unknown cause (idiopathic peripheral neuropathy) [R].

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:39 PM

Homocysteine (Hcy) below about 6 or 7 isn't healthy.

The reason for this is that Hcy is part of methionine recycling. Low Hcy can mean not enough methyl groups are flowing to the MTR enzyme, and then back to Methionine and SAMe.

Hcy also feeds sulforation / detox pathways, through the CBS enzyme. Again, low Hcy may mean those pathways aren't getting enough of the raw materials they need.

Low Hcy suggests either low methionine intake (vegetarian?) or low magnesium, or both. Those aren't the only causes, but they are the most common.

• Agree x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 John250

• Topic Starter
  • 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 September 2018 - 06:33 PM

Homocysteine (Hcy) below about 6 or 7 isn't healthy.

The reason for this is that Hcy is part of methionine recycling. Low Hcy can mean not enough methyl groups are flowing to the MTR enzyme, and then back to Methionine and SAMe.

Hcy also feeds sulforation / detox pathways, through the CBS enzyme. Again, low Hcy may mean those pathways aren't getting enough of the raw materials they need.

Low Hcy suggests either low methionine intake (vegetarian?) or low magnesium, or both. Those aren't the only causes, but they are the most common.

Not a vegetarian and I supplement with a lot of magnesium. But my MTHFR genes show I have methylation issues so I guess that makes sense. Maybe I’ll double up on my NAC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homocysteine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users