- - - - -

will taking a lot of glycine be bad?

magnesium

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:49 AM

If you're taking a bunch of magnesium glycinate, is this horrible because of all the glycine you're getting?

#2 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

If you're taking a bunch of magnesium glycinate, is this horrible because of all the glycine you're getting?

For some it will be terrible because the bunch will cause violent diarrhea alone.

For others it will be very beneficial because Mg and Glycine is actually in need.

Therefore there are no black and white answers when it comes to supplementation. One only can experiment by starting with lowest possible doses, and increase slowly and gradually over week, months and years. While monitoring all effects, relevant lab-markers and adjust doses accordingly.

One may find it a perfect fit, an other horrible. But please after experimenting and finding either of both, don't think in the slightest your results would apply to anyone else.

In my case got 0.6 g/d of Mg from diet, 1.6 g/d elemental Mg from supplements the last 10 years. About 2.6 g/d Glycine from diet, about 2.9 g/d from supplements. And most of my lab markers and health conditions improved.

Any other might not tolerate such amounts. Therefore always start low dose and increase gradually to find your sweet spot.

Edited by pamojja, 11 October 2018 - 12:52 PM.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Heyguy

• 50 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 01:46 PM

Too much too often, leads to cognitive decline i have read another member post. 3-5 g glycine is enough before bed

#4 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:06 PM

Too much too often, leads to cognitive decline i have read another member post. 3-5 g glycine is enough before bed

And you seriously believe because one posted cognitive decline, there couldn't be unrelated unknown confounders, or through different metabolism there couldn't be highly individual needs? And therefore there would be a one-size-fits-all?

Definitely not!

Many wont even need to supplement Glycine or much less than 3 g before bed.

#5 Harkijn

• 808 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:14 PM

Longecity has grown vast but if you use the search option in the top right hand corner you will find a number of interesting discussions about pros, cons and dosage of taking glycine. Look for instance here:

https://www.longecit...e-be-taking-it/

#6 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:36 PM

For some it will be terrible because the bunch will cause violent diarrhea alone.

For others it will be very beneficial because Mg and Glycine is actually in need.

Therefore there are no black and white answers when it comes to supplementation. One only can experiment by starting with lowest possible doses, and increase slowly and gradually over week, months and years. While monitoring all effects, relevant lab-markers and adjust doses accordingly.

One may find it a perfect fit, an other horrible. But please after experimenting and finding either of both, don't think in the slightest your results would apply to anyone else.

In my case got 0.6 g/d of Mg from diet, 1.6 g/d elemental Mg from supplements the last 10 years. About 2.6 g/d Glycine from diet, about 2.9 g/d from supplements. And most of my lab markers and health conditions improved.

Any other might not tolerate such amounts. Therefore always start low dose and increase gradually to find your sweet spot.

As a bodybuilder I’m experienced in violent diharrea lol
Nothing was worse than when I took 5g inositol once. I can take 1g magnesium glyciate no problem though.

#7 mono

• 201 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 October 2018 - 10:17 PM

In one study they used 0.8g/kg for the treatment of schizophrenia. That’s like 60g a day.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 November 2018 - 03:28 AM

I think magnesium glycinate tastes so awful that this alone makes it bad (for me at least -- and I've been known to savor things that make other people cringe). It must be something genetic, coz I made my mom take it and she could not stand the taste either. And we like both glycine and Mg (chloride), separately.

No matter what they say, I believe it's the ultimate test: if it tastes good, it may be good for you. If it makes you gag, it's definitely not for you.

So how does it taste?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users