* * * * * 1 votes

Taking Pure NAD+

nad+ nad diy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 TheModernMind

• 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

Recently I have come into possession of 20 grams of pure NAD+ powder and curious as to what would be the best method of ingestion.

I have had IVs of it done in the past so I am experienced with the effect NAD has when introduced directly into the bloodstream. However I have neither the resources nor experience to use it
through intravenously or intramuscular administration. This leaves me with a few other options: intrarectal, intranasal, or sublingual; though I'm not certain which route would have the greatest absorption rate.

Does anyone have any experience with taking pure NAD?

Edited by TheModernMind, 14 October 2018 - 11:37 AM.

• like x 1

#2 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:23 PM

Didn't the company that sold it to you tell you how to use it? Or are you just fishing for people to ask where you got it?

• Unfriendly x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 2
  • unsure x 1

#3 TheModernMind

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Didn't the company that sold it to you tell you how to use it? Or are you just fishing for people to ask where you got it?

From a source in Japan. Although, several companies in the US are also preparing their own sublingual supplements soon from what I understand, Avior nutritionals and alivebynature both have their own forms of "bioavailable" powder, but they're currently only available to established clinics that do IV infusions. 

Edit: https://alivebynatur...e-dinucleotide/ Probably less expensive than what I paid if it is 100% NAD+

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has any experience with pharmaceutical grade NAD not taken in the form of an IV.

Edited by TheModernMind, 14 October 2018 - 01:22 PM.

• Informative x 1

#4 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

Yes

Got some pure NAD+ powder, mixed it with dmso and water, rubbed it on my skin. 

1st time felt AMAZING. LIke someone just injected me with pure energy. Second time felt good. Third time actually felt nauseous and really tired. No idea why. 

Thats my experience. Not sure what to make of it. 

• Informative x 1

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:49 PM

Yes

1st time felt AMAZING. LIke someone just injected me with pure energy. Second time felt good. Third time actually felt nauseous and really tired. No idea why. 

So you get better and more consistent results with NMN in DMSO/water than with NAD+?

#6 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:57 PM

So you get better and more consistent results with NMN in DMSO/water than with NAD+?

The best results I get are with pure NMN powder in gatorade sipped over an hour's time on a completely empty stomach. No food at all. Thats the best for me. 

but yes the NMN/dmso topical treatments were very consistently beneficial for me, unlike the NAD/dmso topical treatments 

• Informative x 1

#7 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:07 PM

The best results I get are with pure NMN powder in gatorade sipped over an hour's time on a completely empty stomach. No food at all. Thats the best for me. 

but yes the NMN/dmso topical treatments were very consistently beneficial for me, unlike the NAD/dmso topical treatments 

I got great relief from joint pain with DMSO/NMN mix, but get tired of the mess.  

Did you try NAD+ sublingual or in gatorade?  Did you find it different from NMN sublingual?

Am really curious to see the difference.  

ABN shipped some NAD+ last week, but I didn't order in time and waiting for the next batch Oct 23.  

#8 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

Yes

The comments from people at NAD+ injection clinics say they feel a tightness in chest, and sometimes a nausea at first.  That may be what you experienced.

Any chance you got a higher dose the third time?  Or maybe your NAD+ levels were already higher to start than on dose 1 and 2 ?

I'm just so impatient to try it, after reading experiences and some of the research  that NAD+ is absorbed directly in some tissues.  I feel like we've been lied to by those pushing NR and NMN, and NAD might be better for some things.

• unsure x 1
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 TheModernMind

• Topic Starter
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:08 PM

Yes

Interesting. I've read about patches being used but I was unsure as to whether or not it was truly effective when taken topically.

The comments from people at NAD+ injection clinics say they feel a tightness in chest, and sometimes a nausea at first.  That may be what you experienced.

Any chance you got a higher dose the third time?  Or maybe your NAD+ levels were already higher to start than on dose 1 and 2 ?

I'm just so impatient to try it, after reading experiences and some of the research  that NAD+ is absorbed directly in some tissues.  I feel like we've been lied to by those pushing NR and NMN, and NAD might be better for some things.

Yes, I can confirm that chest compression and nausea do occur during infusions, usually if the NAD+ is infused too quickly. 

#10 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:18 PM

Did you try NAD+ sublingual or in gatorade?  Did you find it different from NMN sublingual?

no not yet 

Yes, my dosing was not precise and I did these treatments relatively close to each other. so its possible that by the third treatment my NAD levels were already quite high, maybe even too high? 

Interesting. I've read about patches being used but I was unsure as to whether or not it was truly effective when taken topically.

Yes, I can confirm that chest compression and nausea do occur during infusions, usually if the NAD+ is infused too quickly. 

thats actually great to hear because it means that the topical NAD/dmso treatments have the same side effects as the IV, which means they likely do in fact work. At about 1/1000th the price! 

#11 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:29 PM

BTW the reason for doing NAD topically is that the dmso delivers the NAD to the  extracellular space and theoretically the mito can take up the NAD directly from the  extracellular space

whereas if you take it orally there is very little chance the mito will actually get any of that NAD before its metabolized 

Edited by Phoebus, 14 October 2018 - 05:31 PM.

• Informative x 1

#12 Oakman

Posted 14 October 2018 - 05:35 PM

I asked ABN when I had "Which precursor to use?", questions. They pointed me to these. It's pretty obvious we are just starting to learn about using NAD+ itself as a supplement. It's exciting we have NR, NMN, and now NAD+ to choose from for experimentation.

NAD+ for the brain, NMN for the body?

Exogenous NAD+ increases metabolism, energy expenditure, decreases hunger and blood glucose.

Edited by Oakman, 14 October 2018 - 05:37 PM.

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 1

#13 brian1965

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:05 PM

BTW the reason for doing NAD topically is that the dmso delivers the NAD to the extracellular space and theoretically the mito can take up the NAD directly from the extracellular space

Isn’t the NAD+ molecule too large to permeate the cellular membrane, thus the need for precursors (i.e. NMN, NR, which convert to NAD+ within the cell itself)?
  • Agree x 1

#14 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:57 PM

Isn’t the NAD+ molecule too large to permeate the cellular membrane, thus the need for precursors (i.e. NMN, NR, which convert to NAD+ within the cell itself)?

well this study quoted by ABN gives me hope the NAD can be taken up directly by the mito 

mitochondria do not synthesize NAD at all, but rather take it up intact from the cytosol, which in turn, can take up NAD from the extracellular space 
While mammalian mitochondria are generally considered to be impermeable to pyridine nucleotides (32,33), at least two studies have previously reported evidence for uptake of NAD     https://alivebynatur...-cell-membrane/

so theoretically if the dmso can deliver the NAD to the ECS then it can travel to the cytosol and eventually the mito 

Edited by Phoebus, 14 October 2018 - 11:58 PM.

#15 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:07 AM

I asked ABN when I had "Which precursor to use?", questions. They pointed me to these. It's pretty obvious we are just starting to learn about using NAD+ itself as a supplement. It's exciting we have NR, NMN, and now NAD+ to choose from for experimentation.

NAD+ for the brain, NMN for the body?

Exogenous NAD+ increases metabolism, energy expenditure, decreases hunger and blood glucose.

from the link 

NAD+ not effective in drinking water or in capsule form
The NAD+ molecule is twice as large as NR or NMN, and is totally degraded in the Gastro-Intestinal tract, so researchers do not use NAD+ in drinking water of mice and it is not sold in capsule form for humans.

that is why I think taking it orally is pointless and also why I tried the transdermal dmso method as it bypasses the digestive track 

Edited by Phoebus, 15 October 2018 - 12:07 AM.

#16 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:17 AM

from the link 

that is why I think taking it orally is pointless and also why I tried the transdermal dmso method as it bypasses the digestive track 

They are saying that CAPSULES that are SWALLOWED get digested.  Not that NAD+ in the blood is useless.

That is exactly what I mean about being mislead.  

Chromadex bases their marketing on claims that NR being the largest molecule able to cross the cellular membrane, and saying that makes it superior.

But the article you quote shows that it is clearly not true. Not only does NAD+ enter the hypothalamus intact, the research quoted shows that NR and NMN are NOT ABLE to cross the Blood Brain barrier.  From the article on ABN:

"The increased efficiency of NAD+ supplementation vs NMN or NR in restoring metabolism is also seen in this study published August 29, 2018.

Exogenous Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Regulates Energy Metabolism via Hypothalamic Connexin 43

Researchers were able to trace labeled NAD+ to prove it does enter the hypothalamus directly, without conversion to NR or NMN as many had previously supposed.

They also show that NR and NMN are NOT ABLE to cross the blood brain barrier to the hypothalamus.

Read more about that study here"

So it seems NAD+ does directly enter the  hypothalamus, which controls metabolism.  

The Elysium study measures the effectiveness of their Nr + Pt product by how much in increases NAD+ levels in the bloodstream.    Why would that matter at all, if they truly believed NAD+ does not enter cells or is not effective as NAD+?

It seems likely the increased fat burning and energy from NR and NMN is from its ability to increase NAD+ in the blood, which then enters the hypothalamus, which is shown in this study to increase  metabolism.  

In short, it is the NAD+ levels in blood, that increase metabolism, not NR or NMN.

Edited by able, 15 October 2018 - 12:31 AM.

• Agree x 1

#17 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:35 AM

They are saying that CAPSULES that are SWALLOWED get digested.  Not that NAD+ in the blood is useless.

That is exactly what I mean about being mislead.  

Chromadex bases their marketing on claims that NR being the largest molecule able to cross the cellular membrane, and saying that makes it superior.

But the article you quote shows that it is clearly not true. Not only does NAD+ enter the hypothalamus intact, the research quoted shows that NR and NMN are NOT ABLE to cross the Blood Brain barrier.  From the article on ABN:

"The increased efficiency of NAD+ supplementation vs NMN or NR in restoring metabolism is also seen in this study published August 29, 2018.

Exogenous Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide Regulates Energy Metabolism via Hypothalamic Connexin 43

Researchers were able to trace labeled NAD+ to prove it does enter the hypothalamus directly, without conversion to NR or NMN as many had previously supposed.

They also show that NR and NMN are NOT ABLE to cross the blood brain barrier to the hypothalamus.

Read more about that study here"

So it seems NAD+ does directly enter the  hypothalamus, which controls metabolism.  

The Elysium study measures the effectiveness of their Nr + Pt product by how much in increases NAD+ levels in the bloodstream.    Why would that matter at all, if they truly believed NAD+ does not enter cells or is not effective as NAD+?

It seems likely the increased fat burning and energy from NR and NMN is from its ability to increase NAD+ in the blood, which then enters the hypothalamus, which is shown in this study to increase  metabolism.  

In short, it is the NAD+ levels in blood, that increase metabolism, not NR or NMN.

right, it may cross the BBB but if the digestive track breaks it down that is a moot point. 

In that study they used IP injection, NOT oral tablet. IP injection would be similar to transdermal administration. 

Edited by Phoebus, 15 October 2018 - 12:36 AM.

#18 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:47 AM

right, it may cross the BBB but if the digestive track breaks it down that is a moot point. 

In that study they used IP injection, NOT oral tablet. IP injection would be similar to transdermal administration. 

I think the whole point of sublingual is,  it avoids the digestive tract.

Something like 30% is absorbed direct to the bloodstream, and then crosses the BBB.

That study used IP injection which is not as direct as IV injection.  

Somewhere else they link to research that shows the 30% for sublingual can be higher than IP.  So we might get the same effectiveness from sublingual that the study gets from IP, or at least in the same ballpark.

So you can get NAD+ direct to the blood, and it then reaches the brain directly.  

Seems a lot more efficient than taking NR or NMN capsules that go thru the stomach and liver and then some makes it to the the blood and on to hypothalamus.  

That may be why  they see some effect with 1 mg/kg of NAD+   vs the 100 - 300 mg/kg of NR or NMN in water.

Edited by able, 15 October 2018 - 12:53 AM.

• Agree x 1

#19 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:50 AM

Something like 30% is absorbed direct to the bloodstream, and then crosses the BBB.

Somewhere else they link to research that shows the 30% for sublingual can be higher than IP.  So we might get the same effectiveness from sublingual that the study gets from IP, or at least in the same ballpark.

30% of NAD could be absorbed via sublingual? NAD is much larger than NMN, so I think maybe less than that. 

I mean sublingual NAD may work, I dont know, I just have my doubts 

Edited by Phoebus, 15 October 2018 - 12:51 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#20 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:56 AM

30% of NAD could be absorbed via sublingual? NAD is much larger than NMN, so I think maybe less than that. 

I mean sublingual NAD may work, I dont know, I just have my doubts 

True, there are no clinical studies afaik with NR/NMN/NAD sublingual, so there is no proof.

But I have tried 1g of NMN sublingual in one dose.  It was too much.  Heart rate increased about 20 bpm.  Pretty sure that wasn't placebo.

I haven't got NAD+ yet to try sublingual.  maybe you can try a large dose and see if is similar for you?

#21 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 12:58 AM

I haven't got NAD+ yet to try sublingual.  maybe you can try a large dose and see if is similar for you?

Yes I will do it in the next couple days 

#22 aaaaaaal

• 94 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 01:13 PM

But I have tried 1g of NMN sublingual in one dose.  It was too much.  Heart rate increased about 20 bpm.  Pretty sure that wasn't placebo.

Why don't you try taking 600-750mg and actually measure your heart rate?

#23 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 October 2018 - 02:10 PM

Why don't you try taking 600-750mg and actually measure your heart rate?

My normal resting heart rate varies between 55 and 60 bpm, as measured by counting myself with the timer on my iPhone.

When I tried 1 gram, I felt a jolt within a minute or 2, and felt like my heart rate was faster, so I counted it around 78.  It was "around" 20 bpm increase, but I only did it once.

I usually take 125 or 250 mg dosages.  I have taken 500 mg and measured, with no clear indication of any change in heart rate.

I mentioned it only because people question if the sublingual method "works".

This doesn't prove anything about effectiveness, but it convinced me that some of the NMN clearly does get absorbed directly to the bloodstream.

IF Nad+ is also absorbed sublingual, it would probably have the same response, so should be easy to confirm.

Edited by able, 15 October 2018 - 02:34 PM.

• Agree x 1

#24 Oliver Ward

• 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 04:16 AM

So you can get NAD+ direct to the blood, and it then reaches the brain directly.  

Seems a lot more efficient than taking NR or NMN capsules that go thru the stomach and liver and then some makes it to the the blood and on to hypothalamus.  

That may be why  they see some effect with 1 mg/kg of NAD+   vs the 100 - 300 mg/kg of NR or NMN in water.

If we're all worried about our NR/NMN/NAD+ getting broken down in the digestive tract, why not take half of your dose sublingually and the other half rectally (serious question)??

#25 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:10 PM

Finally got some NAD+ powder from ABN yesterday - very frustrating long wait.

Tried some with the scoop they provide that is supposed to be 125 Mg and didn't notice anything.

Some hours later, I tried the little sugar spoon I like to use that holds approximately 500 mg.   Got quite a rush from it.  Similar to what I felt with 1g of NMN sublingual.

Too early to say if it provides the same increased endurance and  relief from joint pain I get from NMN, but it does seem to have a lot more kick - at least for me.  

Anyone else try this yet?

• Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#26 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 December 2018 - 02:52 AM

Anyone else try the NAD+ powder yet?

I haven't been patient enough, and have been taking both, so can't  tell if I notice any difference between the NAD+ and NMN powder, other than the extra stimulation.

I did get the NAD+ tablets Monday and have been taking those for a few days now.  I don't think they are as effective as powder - don't notice the same kick from 500 mg of tablets.   But they are super convenient if that matters to ya.

#27 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

Hi all,

this is my first post in this forum, so I please ask you for a bit of compassion and patience in the coming two minutes for my total newbiness. Thank you.  :)

And first of all I must say I admire you all for sharing your knowledge and  everything you get to find in anti-aging therapies. I am also highly grateful to you due to the fact that most of that is  achieved through a self-experimenting process. And therefore not only this but also what to do and the procedures to follow to become a healthier aged person for a longer time.

Many thanks for such a gesture of generosity.

Thanks to you and the huge bunch of articles that can be find out there about this matter, I think I have learned a bunch of terminology and some biologic processes that occur inside our beloved body when we definitely depart from from a 'youth status'. Naturally, it all is new to me as the total newbie to the antiageing world I am.

Having said that, I have come across this article from 2016. You surely know about it, but I must admit it has succesfully get my concerns to arise, as a nuclear submarine in an emergency surfacing. It was a killparty for me and I feel sorry in advance if I become a partypooper for posting it here. But if I have to be true to you, I post it here in the hope of any of you posting something like "you bring here 'aged' news mate, learn these last ones instead and forget about fearing undesired effects to your health present and future regarding NAD+ intake:

https://www.scitechn...article_id=5285

It is a very long read and really for those in the know of biologic processes regarding aging and NAD+. So jump to the end of the article and in the Conclusion section they say:

"Namely, by decreasing intracellular PARP and sirtuin’s level apoptosis can be influenced. Additionally, cancer preventive strategies presented could have dichotomous roles in the later stages of the disease (once tumor has developed and progressed), namely they could be tumor preventive for healthy (non-mutated cells) or tumor suppressing at early stages of tumorigenesis and could be tumor promoting later on. Increased amounts of NAD+ may contribute to the development and/or progression of cancer once the cells already have cancer-like properties."

Before ending and for you to better understand my concerns, I have a benign prostatic cancer - so far so well - and as you can easily imagine I want it to keep it small for as long as possible. Thank you.

P.S.: At this point, my heartfelt excuses for the potential killparty effects on any of you. To counter them, some fresh and good news on a 10 mins. detection technology test on any kind of tumor from the Australia:

https://edition.cnn....intl/index.html

• Informative x 2

#28 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2018 - 02:04 AM

Hi all,

this is my first post in this forum, so I please ask you for a bit of compassion and patience in the coming two minutes for my total newbiness. Thank you.  :)

And first of all I must say I admire you all for sharing your knowledge and  everything you get to find in anti-aging therapies. I am also highly grateful to you due to the fact that most of that is  achieved through a self-experimenting process. And therefore not only this but also what to do and the procedures to follow to become a healthier aged person for a longer time.

Many thanks for such a gesture of generosity.

Thanks to you and the huge bunch of articles that can be find out there about this matter, I think I have learned a bunch of terminology and some biologic processes that occur inside our beloved body when we definitely depart from from a 'youth status'. Naturally, it all is new to me as the total newbie to the antiageing world I am.

Having said that, I have come across this article from 2016. You surely know about it, but I must admit it has succesfully get my concerns to arise, as a nuclear submarine in an emergency surfacing. It was a killparty for me and I feel sorry in advance if I become a partypooper for posting it here. But if I have to be true to you, I post it here in the hope of any of you posting something like "you bring here 'aged' news mate, learn these last ones instead and forget about fearing undesired effects to your health present and future regarding NAD+ intake:

https://www.scitechn...article_id=5285

It is a very long read and really for those in the know of biologic processes regarding aging and NAD+. So jump to the end of the article and in the Conclusion section they say:

"Namely, by decreasing intracellular PARP and sirtuin’s level apoptosis can be influenced. Additionally, cancer preventive strategies presented could have dichotomous roles in the later stages of the disease (once tumor has developed and progressed), namely they could be tumor preventive for healthy (non-mutated cells) or tumor suppressing at early stages of tumorigenesis and could be tumor promoting later on. Increased amounts of NAD+ may contribute to the development and/or progression of cancer once the cells already have cancer-like properties."

Before ending and for you to better understand my concerns, I have a benign prostatic cancer - so far so well - and as you can easily imagine I want it to keep it small for as long as possible. Thank you.

P.S.: At this point, my heartfelt excuses for the potential killparty effects on any of you. To counter them, some fresh and good news on a 10 mins. detection technology test on any kind of tumor from the Australia:

https://edition.cnn....intl/index.html

Welcome to the forum Engadin.

There have been numerous discussions about  restoring NAD+ levels and the  possibility of encouraging (or discouraging) cancer growth.  

Its better to keep discussions on topic when possible, so you should go read these threads and if you still have questions, post them on one of these.  

Killing cancer stem cells (CSC) - depleting the NAD pool

CD38 Inhibits Prostate Cancer Metabolism and Proliferation by Reducing Cellular NAD+ Pools

The Scripps Research Institute to identify the potential role of NIAGEN® in treating breast cancer

Any Niagen users getting cancer?

"But it's OK If You Don't ALREADY Have Cancer"

Edited by able, 16 December 2018 - 02:05 AM.

• Good Point x 1

#29 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:48 AM

Many thanks for the informative links and your help offer, able. Heading for another reading session, in the hope to find my private Christmas gift in it.  ;)  :)

Merry Christmas to all and I wish you a glorious 2019.

Engadin.

• WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#30 Engadin

• 198 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:12 PM

Yes

Regarding the DMSO/Water combo for pure NAD+ transdermal, I found this that maybe of your interest at Pharmaceutical Technologie (pharmtech.com):

"Although it is true that DMSO itself can penetrate skin and does enhance the penetration rates of some chemical compounds(31), no solvent has the universal ability to fully negate the barrier properties of human skin. Indeed, it is not widely recognized that all dipolar aprotic solvents have this ability to some extent, and that N-methylpyrollidone is essentially as effective as DMSO in terms of skin penetration (32). Moreover, when water is present as a cosolvent in the formulation, the penetration kinetics of DMSO are greatly diminished. Unlike other solvents, DMSO itself is largely harmless when applied dermally; the LD-50 dermal value for DMSO is quite high (40 g/kg, rat) (9). The larger issue is its ability to facilitate dermal transport of unwanted materials into the body."

Source: https://bit.ly/2TINt4k Move to the end, at 'Toxicology and health effects' / 3rd. paragraph.

In other words, perhaps, and only perhaps, you are missing part of the party.  :)

Edited by Engadin, 12 January 2019 - 03:21 PM.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nad+, nad, diy

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users