vegan

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Matt

• 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2018 - 12:11 AM

Hi all!  :)

Some of you might know Paul, who sometimes posts on this forum and has been a member for quite some time. He is about to turn 50 in the coming months, so I thought I'd request an interview with him! 

He's been a vegan since 1995, but before that vegetarian. He doesn't claim to eat the most perfect diet but he does eat lightly, vegan, and protects his skin from the sun.

I think he's one of the youngest looking 50-year-old vegans out there...

Here's the interview I did with him.

http://www.crvitalit...youthful-looks/

Enjoy! 

And... comments and/or shares would help a lot and be much appreciated!  =)

Edited by Matt, 25 October 2018 - 12:12 AM.

• like x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 October 2018 - 05:02 PM

Thanks Matt. You are right, he is very young-looking.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:00 AM

I've noticed something...

When it comes to guys looking really young, people often put it down to genetics. When a woman looks really young, say Lure Hsu (and others), people say it's plastic surgery. 

I guess it could be a combination for some people, but I think Paul's example does show it's possible to look very young at 50. Maybe he's lucky and has all three going on: diet, sun avoidance, and genetics. Hard to say how much genetics factor into it, but people are so quick to dismiss things and pass it off like that.

I know all vegans don't look as young, but then most raw food vegans I know are sun worshippers. 

#4 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

Just wondering, does he smile? I know there are some people who are so obsessed with their looks that they try to avoid smiling or laughing because it promotes the development of wrinkles and nasolabial folds.

• Good Point x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#5 AntiAgingKing

• 21 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:57 AM

Here is The World's Youngest-Looking 50 Something Man(Me) & his Facebook page---> www.Facebook.com/AntiAgingKing

& a recent Video:  www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Tmcp6zKLY-A

*I'm a Vegetarian, But I do eat Fish & Eggs as my source of cholesterol & also I do suntan alot as well!

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 02:44 PM

Here is The World's Youngest-Looking 50 Something Man(Me) & his Facebook page---> www.Facebook.com/AntiAgingKing

& a recent Video:  www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Tmcp6zKLY-A

yeah, honestly you look very good for 50, better than the guy in the other video in this thread who looks a bit wan and pallid to be honest. 

*I'm a Vegetarian, But I do eat Fish & Eggs

hahaha! okay then you are NOT a vegetarian. Fish are not plants 

• Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#7 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2018 - 07:35 AM

Just wondering, does he smile? I know there are some people who are so obsessed with their looks that they try to avoid smiling or laughing because it promotes the development of wrinkles and nasolabial folds.

hmm :) I don't think I've seen him smile... He has quite a few videos though, maybe I missed one! Wouldn't it be quite hard to consciously stop yourself from smiling?

Although, I know some people who frown a lot or raise their eyes brows every time they talk. I naturally never do this... and don't consciously think about stopping myself either.

But I do smile quite a bit... And yet I have no nasolabial lines (or any lines)... which I think normally start between 25-35.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#8 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 09:07 AM

Yes he looks very boyish...partly because he also looks weak, out of shape and possibly skinny-fat, like some teens do. Unless those teens change their lifestyle they usually cannot retain that kind of physique past 30, which makes said characteristics associated with youth. 

Edited by platypus, 19 November 2018 - 09:15 AM.

• Good Point x 4
  • Agree x 2
  • like x 1

#9 faltom

• 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

I don’t want to seem mean, but as a woman, I don’t find this look attractive at all. I would take a few wrinkles over this pale feminine “look” any day. I also think most women would agree with me. I think it’s fine to be sun-smart but taking it to an obsessive level probably isn’t healthy either.
Women like men who are a bit more manly and rugged. I don’t understand why it’s so important for grown men to want to remain looking like boys.
  • Good Point x 6
  • Agree x 3
  • Needs references x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#10 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 19 November 2018 - 05:16 PM

I don’t want to seem mean, but as a woman, I don’t find this look attractive at all. I would take a few wrinkles over this pale feminine “look” any day. I also think most women would agree with me. I think it’s fine to be sun-smart but taking it to an obsessive level probably isn’t healthy either.
Women like men who are a bit more manly and rugged. I don’t understand why it’s so important for grown men to want to remain looking like boys.

Thanks for speaking freely and honestly about it faltom. Myself, as a man who would like to turn back the clock - I kind-of agree. I would like to look younger, but not quite boyish, or like a teenager.

#11 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 November 2018 - 08:28 AM

I think women like a lot of different looks. More important is acting/behaving like a man, as well as other factors like height, intelligence, money (or earning potential), status. To some extent (on preferences), it also depends on where you're from. For example, South Korea is a bit different from the US. I think it's much more universal that straight men prefer feminine women than trying to generalize what look women want (or go for) because there are many other factors involved (incl. age and hormone levels). 

Anyway, maybe he's just doing it for himself. Maybe he'll hit peak ruggedness when he's 60.  :~

Edited by Matt, 20 November 2018 - 08:29 AM.

• like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#12 faltom

• 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 11:46 AM

Yes, definitely different women like different “looks”. I have thought many men were attractive, tall, short, husky, bald etc. but what I’m saying is the majority of women prefer men to look manly.
If course money and intelligence make everyone more attractive but I was ONLY physical appearance.
Also, I realize he is challenging himself and these are his goals and I’m cool with that! Everybody is free to live their life the way they please. That’s why they make strawberry, vanilla and chocolate lol. I’m also not saying he’s an ugly guy, he’s not just not most women’s cup of tea.
I checked out his instagram and he seems to have a beautiful girlfriend so he’s doing well for himself!

#13 Artificiality

• 86 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 12:31 AM

Agh, I don't want to come across as mean. But to me he looks like a deathly ill man in his mid to late thirties. 

• Cheerful x 2
  • Agree x 2

#14 AntiAgingKing

• 21 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:01 AM

yeah, honestly you look very good for 50, better than the guy in the other video in this thread who looks a bit wan and pallid to be honest. 

hahaha! okay then you are NOT a vegetarian. Fish are not plants 

*Mainly Vegetarian!!!! but also eat sardines & eggs so I can get my cholesterol.

http://www.Facebook.com/AntiAgingKing

Edited by AntiAgingKing, 24 November 2018 - 01:02 AM.

#15 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2018 - 01:52 AM

He is skinny like a teenager. He wears young teenage clothes. Dyes his hair. Brunnetes always have SOME Grey by 50. Wears his hair like a teenager. Annnnnnd people fall for this crap. Lets see him grow his beard out with dyeing it and stops dyeing his hair. I am also 100% sure he wears reading glasses or at least needs them...

I am really sick of 30 year olds proclaiming on this site they have found the cure to eternal youth because they still look they are 20-something we they go out of their way to look young with very low bodyweight and youthful hairstyles. Most 30 year olds look older because of hair and bodyweight and body composition.

Come here when you are 40 and and no longer trying to fool people end stoke your ego.

Edited by Rocket, 24 November 2018 - 01:53 AM.

• Disagree x 3
  • Good Point x 2
  • like x 1
  • Agree x 1

#16 faltom

• 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:19 AM

I really think a lot of people can remain young looking thru their 40’s.
50-60 is the decade that people age the most. That will be the real test!
  • Agree x 1

#17 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:02 PM

When I was 32 years old, I was skinny, 6ft tall and about 160lbs. I wore my hair like when I was in my 20s. I dressed young. People who knew me at work but didn't know my age all thought I was a recent college grad in my early 20s. I also did ABSOLUTELY nothing to "maintain" a youthful look such as calorie restriction or any longevity supplementation. If you are 32 and and skinny and have all your hair and dress young, looking like someone in their early 20s isn't a great accomplishment. Hell I even dated girls that were 18 to 20 years old because they thought they could pass me off as being in my 20s.

You are not a genetic freak of nature because you are 32 and look young.

You are aging right on track. 

I would bet $1000 that this 50 year old man had had cosmetic procedures done, wears reading glasses, and dyes his hair.

40 to 45 is when the wheels fall off the bus and wrinkles start coming in and skin starts to become looser.

Look at the model Cindy Joseph. She was in her 60s and people all said she looked like she was in her 30s. Look online at regular pictures of her and she did not look like she was in her 30s. People fake pictures to please themselves and their egos. So anyway this woman in her 60s somehow found the secret to being forever young has died at 67. Hmmm. Stoke your egos all you want to because you are still quite mortal and ageing right on track.

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#18 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:59 PM

I must say he's a strange looking fella and I can certainly tell he's 40/50 in some of the Instagram images he has. I'm impressed by the lack of nose-mouth lines though. 

#19 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:11 AM

Rocket, do you mind sharing a picture of when you were 32? I'm curious.

Sorry, I disagree with you. Simply dressing young or having good hair at 32 doesn't automatically make you like you're 22 years old. If you've got that difference in chronological age vs perceived age, then you already have a good start. You're being ridiculous. And btw, it's usually other people who make a big fuss over it when they find out your age through normal conversation.

And saying that external signs of aging are completely disconnected from the rate of aging is also nonsense. While it doesn't cause someone to live longer, looking younger is a common feature of slower aging. 

You sound kind of bitter and angry... 

Edited by Matt, 10 December 2018 - 01:14 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Disagree x 1

#20 QuestforLife

• NO

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:44 AM

Totally agree, he looks like a slightly strange man-boy.

Woman like masculinity. End of.

• Agree x 1

#21 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 December 2018 - 02:27 AM

I really think a lot of people can remain young looking thru their 40’s.
50-60 is the decade that people age the most. That will be the real test!

No doubt it becomes increasingly more difficult to maintain a youthful appearance.

Anyone remember Ralph Macchio? He looked really young up until he got back into doing TV shows and all that again. I mean, he still looks good, but not as good as he did. Plus he seems to have a lot of sun damage and maybe having a stressful schedule in recent years doesn't help.

What do you think of David Fisher in this video? He was 55 when this was filmed and started CR when he was about 35.

To be honest, though, I rarely see anyone who looks great in their 40s. But perhaps it's just people are accelerating their aging by their really poor lifestyles. 

Edited by Matt, 11 December 2018 - 02:31 AM.

#22 Artificiality

• 86 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 05:56 AM

He definitely looks a lot healthier than the guy in the OP. I would have guessed early to mid 40s for him. 

One thing I've noticed with a lot of CR folk is the seem to be pretty calm and low energy overall. 

Wonder if that's a natural adaption of the body and mind in order to not burn off the limited calories supplied. 

#23 Dorian Grey

• 2,152 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 06:01 AM

Steve Wilson (musician) Vegan/51

Got the Dorian Gray thing going on.  

#24 Boopy!

• 201 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 05:02 PM

I had skipped the reading and went right to look at the video and now after reading comments it's hilarious.  I find him,  tbh,  as not what we women find attractive.  At all.   Just objectively speaking.   It's interesting to see how men (I love talking with men and figuring them out,   haha)   perceive what women are attracted to.   Because it's not just me saying this.   Sooo many studies have also backed it up;  women go for MEN.   They just do.   It's instinctive.   Thus broad shoulders and facial hair  and beards won out over clean shaven and effeminate features.   It's a hard fact of life,  but of course that's just upon first glance.   It doesn't matter once you get past that.   Personally I find intelligence the most sexual thing as well as a good attitude.   I've kicked lots of young not smart enough guys out of my life,   because let's face it,   no one wants to hang out with a boring dumb person no matter how good they look.   Or at least no one I could respect.  

Never discount what a person who has young actions,  walk,  hair,  etc. can do for appearance.   I agree with Rocket.   The problem is that people only recognize bad plastic surgery and fake stuff.   If it's good (hair,  surgery,  etc.)  then people congratulate the person when they really should be in awe of a decent surgeon or stylist.   A really good eye however for such things can detect more than the average person.  Fortunately there's lots of easily fooled suckers out there.

I so wish I could get the name of a GOOD plastic surgeon.   I know one or two that I could never afford.   One of them died pretty young in a texting while driving incident,  so we got to find out who were some of his patients a while back.   since he could no longer be sued for disclosure or whatever.

#25 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 06:27 PM

This post was about looking younger , not what is attractive or not. xD But I feel like responding anyway..

Studies show a lot of different things. :p  One study showed that women are attracted to men with more feminine traits if they live in a more prosperous, stable, and less dangerous country. In countries that score worse in these areas, women prefer more masculine men. 

The way women choose men is just simply more complex than how a guy chooses a woman. Women have different mating strategies depending and attraction can also depend on their cycle, pill, and at what stage she's at in life. 

Perhaps looking the part (being manly) is definitely a plus, but it's not the only thing that is important. I mean, I'm sure these boys who wear makeup and look pretty feminine don't have trouble getting girls. It helps just by having money (or intelligence and ambition to make money), status, and confidence.

Just an anecdote, but I have pretty girly hair, not so overly-masculine features, and sound like a teenager. And a girl even thought I was 18 years old the other week (I'm almost 35), but I've had plenty of opportunities for sex and I've had a lot of girls attracted to me... I don't really have to do much either. But that's IRL, not online.

But for anyone reading this who is a bit effeminate... You still have greater control on all areas that attract women... Most guys start with nothing and build themselves up and peak much later (40-50), Women start with more options and peak early. So just remember that if it matters to you = ) But if it doesn't, then no problem. :)

Edited by Matt, 04 July 2019 - 06:39 PM.

• Agree x 1

#26 Darryl

• 650 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2019 - 08:13 PM

An observation: the nut/legume/root vegetables focused diet is a methionine moderation diet. Combined with mild CR, it may be a methionine restriction diet.

• Agree x 2
  • Needs references x 1

#27 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:13 AM

An observation: the nut/legume/root vegetables focused diet is a methionine moderation diet. Combined with mild CR, it may be a methionine restriction diet.

True, but can glycine and a little bit of animal protein 3-5 oz a day achieve nearly the same effect?

#28 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 12:55 PM

IDK about the rest of you, but the subject in question and the OP look age appropriate considering low body weight and hair styling. This isn't the fountain of youth you're looking for. Move along. 

• Enjoying the show x 2
  • like x 1

#29 Matt

• Topic Starter
  • 2,862 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 July 2019 - 01:59 PM

Do you have any pictures of yourself in your 30s, Rocket?

My sister has the same length hair as me and people think she is much older (she is 2 years younger). All of my cousins my age look much older. My mum and dad at my age looked much older at my age too. Probably 99% of my friends I grew up with look at least 10 years older than me now. And that's not just my opinion either lol... that is theirs. 

The girl I met the other week (standing just 5 feet from me) was shocked I was 35 almost. She was so sure that I was only about 18... We talked for about half hour and she asked me 101 questions how I look so young and then was talking about going vegan because of it. 

But I get this all the time... so if it is as you claim: "nothing special going on"... then there would be no reason for people to always ask me.

Even when I talk to people on the phone or in VR using my microphone, they assume (by the sound of my voice) that I'm about 17-18 years old.

Sorry, but I just don't buy your argument that you can just brush it off as being skinny or hair style. We all know plenty of people who are skinny and have long hair in their 30s who look their age (male or female).

The fact that I've been doing calorie restriction half of my life has nothing to do with it.. okay. :)

• like x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1

#30 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

Calorie restriction works. Congratulations to Matt for sticking to the lifestyle. He looks a lot younger than the rest of us. It would be great if he participates in the biomarker project this year (wink, wink).

Otherwise, I have to agree with some of the other comments here, regarding the other two examples in this thread of the "young-looking" people. While they look young, they don't look "vital", energetic, or even happy. Of course, a few pics, or a short video are very limited examples of what they are really like, so take my assessment with a grain of salt. They might be completely different in real life.

• Good Point x 2
  • Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vegan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users