• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Pericytes, Endothelial Dysfunction, Blood Barrier Leak=Vascular Dementia?

dementia

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mrfixituk

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:57 PM

My dad has vascular dementia and none of the typical causes of high blood pressure, cholesterol, overweight, drinking, lack of exercise, etc. We are now in the last quarter. He has a very healthy brain diet, I have tried virtually every vitamin etc. What is best endothelial dysfunction and blood barrier leakage? I have pericytes and blocked arteries covered - other possible causes.
And white matter disease.
The

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 12:15 PM

Ketogenic diet?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 tunt01

• 2,308 posts

Posted 10 November 2018 - 02:13 PM

I'd probably say Ginkgo Biloba and agree with the recommendation of fasting/ketosis or ketogenic diet.

#4 Heisok

• 611 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:03 PM

Sorry to hear this. Memory problems are very scary.

This was Dale Bredesen's paper from back in 2014. I think that most of the original patients were not diagnosed with Alzheimers. They all had different levels of cognitive impairment. Dementia is a loosely defined affliction, so I think some of theses patients easily qualify. Whether or not you go the Ketogenic route (which seems to be a good choice) I would recommend adding a purified MCT oil. Some say C8 Caprylic acid is the best, but I might lean towards one that has a good amount of C10 also, as my understanding is that some effects are different. Bredesen has a far more advanced set of methods now, but getting treated by them is rumored to be very expensive. Maybe well above $10,000.

"This report describes a novel, comprehensive, and personalized therapeutic program that is based on the underlying pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease, and which involves multiple modalities designed to achieve metabolic enhancement for neurodegeneration (MEND). The first 10 patients who have utilized this program include patients with memory loss associated with Alzheimer's disease (AD), amnestic mild cognitive impairment (aMCI), or subjective cognitive impairment (SCI). Nine of the 10 displayed subjective or objective improvement in cognition beginning within 3-6 months, with the one failure being a patient with very late stage AD. Six of the patients had had to discontinue working or were struggling with their jobs at the time of presentation, and all were able to return to work or continue working with improved performance. Improvements have been sustained, and at this time the longest patient follow-up is two and one-half years from initial treatment, with sustained and marked improvement. These results suggest that a larger, more extensive trial of this therapeutic program is warranted. The results also suggest that, at least early in the course, cognitive decline may be driven in large part by metabolic processes. Furthermore, given the failure of monotherapeutics in AD to date, the results raise the possibility that such a therapeutic system may be useful as a platform on which drugs that would fail as monotherapeutics may succeed as key components of a therapeutic system."

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC4221920/

Edited by Heisok, 10 November 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#5 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:20 PM

look into ginger as a ginkgo alternative for him

Previous studies have shown that Cd [cadmium] can induced neuroinflammatory pathology by mechanism involving blood-brain barrier leakage, microglia activation and infiltration of immune cells into the brain [2, 19, 20]. It is interesting to note that cotreatment with essential oil from ginger and turmeric rhizomes prevents alteration in the level of these cytokines (Figures (Figures1113). This is an indication that the essential oils exert immunomodulatory activity and offer neuroprotection against inflammatory processes associated with neurodegeneration. This activity could be attributed to the volatile compounds present (Table 1) that have been extensively studied for their anti-inflammatory properties and their ability to inhibit inflammatory mediators [9, 14, 21, 22].

garlic and onions as well

A more practical, spot test of urinary
Albumin/Creatine ratio of <2 has also been validated for clinical use [342]. The relationship
between endothelial function and microalbuminuria is a complex one and not fully understood
[308] but it is thought to be due to protein leakage through dysfunctional renal glomerular
capillaries and as such is viewed as a reflection of systemic endothelial dysfunction.
Both endothelial function and microalbuminuria have been proven to predict cardiovascular
outcome [343-345]. Many studies have shown an association between vasoactive endothelial
dysfunction in those with diabetes and microalbuminuria [307-312]. Microalbuminuria has
been shown to be correlated with endothelial dysfunction and plasma hsCRP levels in type 2
diabetes [307] and with insulin resistance [312]. Reduction of microalbuminuria with ACEI
has also been shown to improve cardiovascular outcomes independently of effects on blood
pressure [346], although whether this is through amelioration of endothelial dysfunction is
unclear [347, 348].

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 dazed1

• 304 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2018 - 11:06 AM

This would be mine choices for your dad.....supplements, and herbs/diet....

1. Pycnogenol 

2. Bioactive b complex, especially P5P, Methylcobalamin, methylfolate, and benfotiamine (4x300mg/day)

3. Citrus bioflavonoids (especially rutin)

4. Magnesium citrate, and malate

5. Gotu Kola

6. Tocotrienols

7. Kyolic garlic

8. Ubiquinol and omega 3 - (4 grams/day)

9. Taurine

10. Luteolin

Diet  = plant based with medium (low carb) 

Avoid,

Grapes, bananas, potatoes, rice, honey, apples, oats, wheat, gluten, barley, cornflex/corn, and any grains.

Include, pomegranates, strawberries, blueberries, chokeberries, lemons, kiwis, lots of bell peppers, spinach, almonds, walnuts, beetroots, zucchini, eggplant, lentils, mushrooms......

No oil, and salt restricted  (2g/day max)

Spices - all in dry form, fresh is inferior...

Ginger, turmeric, rosemary, cloves, cinnamon, parsley. Dosage, around 1g from all, 4-5x per day with food, or small meals, frequent dosing is KEY. 

And check your dad, for insulin resistance/diabetes. OGTT.....

Edited by dazed1, 16 November 2018 - 11:26 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dementia

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users