• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent fasting + keto = grey hair reverse ?

fasting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 YoungFresh

• Registrant
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:43 PM

So far I`ve searched all internet on cases with people who reversed grey hairs, most did it by fasting / keto

But I`m concerned about fasting , does it really cause telomers to grow / be more young ?

What's your opinion on this theory guys ? Is fasting REALLY that good ? Then why people who don't really eat that much are sick ?

#2 resveratrol

• 340 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:36 AM

No idea if fasting can reverse grey hairs.  BUT it is extremely good for you IF you do it very carefully and is one of the best interventions to increase lifespan.

There are lots of ways of doing fasting, especially intermittent fasting and water fasting for a few days.

I usually recommend that people try to fast for up to 3 days.  3-day water fasts in particular seem to have a regenerative effect on the immune system, and fasting for longer than that can be a bit risky.

• Needs references x 1

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#3 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 05:50 PM

Keto and IF did nothing for my grey hair.

• Agree x 1

#4 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:29 PM

What’s interesting is HGH has been shown to reverse gray hair. Hgh increases IGF levels which is the total opposite of autophagy.

#5 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:31 PM

No idea if fasting can reverse grey hairs. BUT it is extremely good for you IF you do it very carefully and is one of the best interventions to increase lifespan.

There are lots of ways of doing fasting, especially intermittent fasting and water fasting for a few days.

I usually recommend that people try to fast for up to 3 days. 3-day water fasts in particular seem to have a regenerative effect on the immune system, and fasting for longer than that can be a bit risky.

I think it was Harvard that did the study on the 72hr “true” fast(water and I believe black coffee and tea are allowed but no sweeteners) You can basically reset your entire immune system by introducing extremely clean and healthy foods and phytonutrients after the 72 hour fast. I wish I had the energy and discipline to do that long of a fast.

Edited by John250, 28 November 2018 - 08:31 PM.

#6 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:05 AM

No idea if fasting can reverse grey hairs.  BUT it is extremely good for you IF you do it very carefully and is one of the best interventions to increase lifespan.

I usually recommend that people try to fast for up to 3 days.  3-day water fasts in particular seem to have a regenerative effect on the immune system, and fasting for longer than that can be a bit risky.

I think it was Harvard that did the study on the 72hr “true” fast(water and I believe black coffee and tea are allowed but no sweeteners) You can basically reset your entire immune system by introducing extremely clean and healthy foods and phytonutrients after the 72 hour fast. I wish I had the energy and discipline to do that long of a fast.

Could it be that you're both mistaken? I'm familiar with a Valter Longo study, on mice (for whom 48h is a very long fast during which they lose 20% of their body weight) and it was only after 4th or 5th fasting cycle that their immune sys was reset and restored. In the same paper he also described cancer patients undergoing chemo, and those who fasted for 48-120h during chemo did better, but the status of their immune function was not ascertained,  I know the headlines announcing this study in popular press were very misleading. Here is the original:

Prolonged Fasting reduces IGF-1/PKA to promote hematopoietic stem cell-based regeneration and reverse immunosuppression, 2014

Or is there another study you're talking about?

• Good Point x 1

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2018 - 04:51 PM

https://ideapod.com/...-immune-system/

#8 xEva

• 1,594 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:30 PM

yeah this link is exactly what I was saying above. That's what in modern parlance is called 'fake news'. His original study, if you care to read it (liked above) says nothing of the sort. Nowhere was it shown that humans regenerated their immune sys, only that the number of lymphocytes in cancer patients who fasted for 72h during chemo remained within norm (close to the bottom of the norm, to be precise).

Then in other interviews Longo speaks about some indirect markers that may be indicative of  improvement in the immune function in subjects who went on his 5-day fasting mimicking diet -- but no concrete study so far has shown that fasting for 72h will reset and regenerate immune system in humans.

Edited by xEva, 29 November 2018 - 07:34 PM.

#9 John250

• 1,451 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 November 2018 - 10:55 PM

yeah this link is exactly what I was saying above. That's what in modern parlance is called 'fake news'. His original study, if you care to read it (liked above) says nothing of the sort. Nowhere was it shown that humans regenerated their immune sys, only that the number of lymphocytes in cancer patients who fasted for 72h during chemo remained within norm (close to the bottom of the norm, to be precise).

Then in other interviews Longo speaks about some indirect markers that may be indicative of improvement in the immune function in subjects who went on his 5-day fasting mimicking diet -- but no concrete study so far has shown that fasting for 72h will reset and regenerate immune system in humans.

ahhhh that’s too bad. Thanks

To book this BIOSCIENCE ad spot and support Longecity (this will replace the google ad above) - click HERE.

#10 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 30 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

So far I`ve searched all internet on cases with people who reversed grey hairs, most did it by fasting / keto

But I`m concerned about fasting , does it really cause telomers to grow / be more young ?

What's your opinion on this theory guys ? Is fasting REALLY that good ? Then why people who don't really eat that much are sick ?

Well, before you get too disappointed by the limits of fasting (inabilities to completely rejuvenate the human immune system within three days, or reverse gray hair) note some amazing benefits.

Animal and human fasting studies have shown strong and replicable effects on many, many health indicators. Greater insulin sensitivity, reduced blood pressure, lower body fat, reduced IGF-I, lower insulin, lower blood glucose, fewer evil atherogenic lipids, decreased chronic inflammation -- these are all solid, well-documented affects of "fasting" (IF and PF) to varying degrees.

Fasting (depending upon how you actually do it) can also help improve outcomes in cancer, myocardial infarction, diabetes, stroke, AD, and PD. It triggers adaptive cellular stress responses, which enhance our abilities to cope with stress and counteract diseases.

IF and PF may also may protect cells from DNA damage, suppress unwanted cell growth, enhance apoptosis of deranged cells, enable autophagy, prevent the formation and growth of several cancers....on and on with the potential benefits.

Put all that in a pill and swallow it, and you've got yourself genuine anti-aging hype.

And of course fasting is free of charge. So, um...it requires nearly nothing to practice -- just you and your levels of discipline and staggered time. And it can be fun! Challenge yourself with it. How far can you safely extend your little fasting trips, and where do you draw your own conclusion that enough's enough, or enough isn't enough and you can move even more deeply into the practice.

Researchers tend to wag a finger and snarl that undertaking "longer fasts" (e.g., >3/d) should be done in a clinical setting; no one wants you out there in the wild world getting dizzy, falling, and then suing the shit out of everyone because -- "Well: We Told You To Fast In A Clinic." In many cases I see the reason for caution and safety; but if you're generally healthy, strong, and aware of your body, I think it's worth exploring all on your own.
  • Well Written x 1
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fasting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users