Need your help to rescue my cognition

cognition

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Answers

• 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2019 - 03:58 PM

A little over 2 months ago, I took the antibiotic nitrofurantoin for one week.

3 days after coming off of it, i was reading absolutely fine, and then I suddenly got to this word and found I could not say it right. My inner monologue/voice in my head tightened and all of the words in my mind started sounding compressed and with the wrong pronounciation, which made thinking/reading really difficult. Those effects have persisted to this day and it's frightneing me.

I have to concentrate just to say stuff in my head. It is ridiculous and I have not heard of this happening to anyone else. I feel a tightness inside each time I try to form words in my mind.

I should point out that on the day this happened, I also took 5 grams of d ribose. But I took the same supplement 2 weeks earlier and had no such effect.

And also, completely seperate to this and for the past 4 weeks, I was taking 12 grams of inositol a day to try and tackle my anhedonia.

Well I really regret that. It's like I can't focus at all now and my fingers get muddled typing all the time.

My mind also assumes words wrong when reading, so even that is difficult for me now.

Any ideas how to reverse the effects of both these substances? I'm really struggling here and it's torturous.

How can I regain my cognition?

Should I take a racetam or something? I am currently using NS1-189

Hope you can help

Thanks

#2 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:26 PM

Anyone?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

Do you have any physical symptoms such as feeling weaker than before? Because it's possible that nitrofurantoin damaged your mitochondria. Otherwise, this sounds a bit like Alzheimer's. Are you sixty plus? Have you had a genetic test and found the APOE4 gene?

#4 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:29 PM

Do you have any physical symptoms such as feeling weaker than before? Because it's possible that nitrofurantoin damaged your mitochondria. Otherwise, this sounds a bit like Alzheimer's. Are you sixty plus? Have you had a genetic test and found the APOE4 gene?

My facial muscles feel tight and a nerve on the left side of my head keeps twitching. I should tell you that I had an opthamologist look into the back of my eyes literally 2 weeks before this happened, and my optic nerves were fine.

I am pretty sure it is the antibiotic which damaged my mitochondria.

I was perfectly fine before taking it. What puzzles me is it seems d ribose ignited this effect. It's a puzzling situation.

Also, I am only 24 so there is no way it can be that. To think such a thing terrifies me.

I haven't done any genetic testing.

I was thinking of trying some nicotinamide riboside. I don't think it's a good idea to take d ribose again right now.

The inositol just needlessly complicated things.

#5 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:55 PM

You are not the only one with this problem, as the following comment seems similar--

Why not the use of antibiotics?
I was treated with antibiotics for a UTI for 9 months.
The end result was severe ( and possibly) irreversible nerve damage. Rare but known side effect of a drug called Nitrofurantoin used to treat E. coli. Nerve damage did disappear, as a neurologist told me it would – but it took 4 years.
4 years of utter hell actually.

It's not assured that the root cause is mitochondrial damage, but it might be as mitochondria have a bacterial origin. My mitochondria were damaged by statins, and after several years of slow recovery,  I developed a technique to speed that up dramatically. If this is indeed what happened in your case, this protocol might help. The idea is to stimulate an innate cellular mito quality control routine to destroy unhealthy mitochondria, followed by stimulating mitochondrial biogenesis. By cycling these steps of mitophagy and biogenesis many times, the cellular populations of mitochondria can be returned to a state of health.

You might be able to tell if this is the problem by taking some PQQ. If the problem is lessened, then that would be evidence it lies in your mitochondria.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 08 January 2019 - 09:10 PM.

#6 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:16 PM

You are not the only one with this problem, as the following comment seems similar--

It's not assured that the root cause is mitochondrial damage, but it might be as mitochondria have a bacterial origin. My mitochondria were damaged by statins, and after several years of slow recovery,  I developed a technique to speed that up dramatically. If this is indeed what happened in your case, this protocol might help. The idea is to stimulate an innate cellular mito quality control routine to destroy unhealthy mitochondria, followed by stimulating mitochondrial biogenesis. By cycling these steps of mitophagy and biogenesis many times, the cellular populations of mitochondria can be returned to a state of health.

Thankyou Turnbuckle, your assistance is really appreciated.

Oh god, 4 years though!!

Well, that guy was taking it for 9 months and I only took it for a week. I pray it does not take that long for me;the anheodnia has already destroyed my quality of life enough without this on top.

I am taking PQQ and Coq10 right now along with ALCAR but it does not seem to do anything for me.

So you just do that protocol for 5 days? What do you consider to be the most necessary aspects of it? I am a bit hesitant to take d ribose again after what happened last time.

I was thinking of trying SR9009 or BPC-157 to try and repair the damage.

Is there anything I can do to resolve inositol brain fog also?

#7 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

Thankyou Turnbuckle, your assistance is really appreciated.

Oh god, 4 years though!!

Well, that guy was taking it for 9 months and I only took it for a week. I pray it does not take that long for me;the anheodnia has already destroyed my quality of life enough without this on top.

I am taking PQQ and Coq10 right now along with ALCAR but it does not seem to do anything for me.

So you just do that protocol for 5 days? What do you consider to be the most necessary aspects of it? I am a bit hesitant to take d ribose again after what happened last time.

I was thinking of trying SR9009 or BPC-157 to try and repair the damage.

Is there anything I can do to resolve inositol brain fog also?

How long it takes depends on the damage level. If you have a lot of damage, it could take many months, and severe symptoms suggests severe damage. If PQQ does nothing, however, then that's evidence it isn't a mito problem. And if you were to take 2 grams of nicotinamide with 2 grams of ribose and you didn't feel much, then it is definitely not mitochondria.

#8 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

How long it takes depends on the damage level. If you have a lot of damage, it could take many months, and severe symptoms suggests severe damage. If PQQ does nothing, however, then that's evidence it isn't a mito problem. And if you were to take 2 grams of nicotinamide with 2 grams of ribose and you didn't feel much, then it is definitely not mitochondria.

What else could it be? This is really starting to scare me now.

The way I would describe it is when I am reading and thinking in my head, something jumps between my mouth and brain. I know this sounds bizarre, but this is what's happening.

Do you think nootropics can help me?

I don't think I can cope with this now with everything else going on.

Reading was my life before. I can still do it but it's uncomfortable now and not so easy. This sounds ridiculous.

#9 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

Read Brain Maker. It werses about how bacteria regulates cognitive function.

#10 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:21 AM

I would suggest a daily serving of kefir to replenish good bacteria.

Lots of things to do about the mitochondria.  Magnesium, green tea, blueberries and raspberries (which also REPAIR dna).  Just focus on right eating, it will expedite your recovery.

#11 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:13 AM

This may sound strange but seeing as I have sensory impairment due to my autism, there are a tonne of healthy foods I just can not eat.

There is no way I could stomach kefir sadly. A lot of things make me gag and be sick. I have super senses when it comes to foods or drinks.

For example, I can't even eat cake.

I know this really does me no good. I try to eat as best I can but it's not great at all ,my diet.

I will start taking probiotics and I take resveratrol already though.

Also for some reason, magnesium has no effect on me. Not even the threonate forms which cross the BBB.

Edited by link11, 12 January 2019 - 05:16 AM.

#12 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2019 - 07:30 AM

I would suggest a daily serving of kefir to replenish good bacteria.

Lots of things to do about the mitochondria.  Magnesium, green tea, blueberries and raspberries (which also REPAIR dna).  Just focus on right eating, it will expedite your recovery.

This may sound strange but seeing as I have sensory impairment due to my autism, there are a tonne of healthy foods I just can not eat.

There is no way I could stomach kefir sadly. A lot of things make me gag and be sick. I have super senses when it comes to foods or drinks.

For example, I can't even eat cake.

I know this really does me no good. I try to eat as best I can but it's not great at all ,my diet.

I will start taking probiotics and I take resveratrol already though.

Also for some reason, magnesium has no effect on me. Not even the threonate forms which cross the BBB.

Magnesium, green tea, blueberries and raspberries (leaves) are all available in distilled pill-form though - those should be easier for you to swallow than the original foods.

The bacteria in kefir can also be found as supplements, you just have to sort through which ones seem the best for you.

https://www.healthli...otic-supplement

Anyways, why don't you list what you usually eat, so we can have a look if there are any improvements to make, yes? Sometimes there's actually healthier alternatives, that are only slightly different from your current diet, which might then make them palatable for your senses.

#13 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:45 AM

Magnesium, green tea, blueberries and raspberries (leaves) are all available in distilled pill-form though - those should be easier for you to swallow than the original foods.

The bacteria in kefir can also be found as supplements, you just have to sort through which ones seem the best for you.

https://www.healthli...otic-supplement

Anyways, why don't you list what you usually eat, so we can have a look if there are any improvements to make, yes? Sometimes there's actually healthier alternatives, that are only slightly different from your current diet, which might then make them palatable for your senses.

Sorry for the late reply Mind-Paraylsis

I am fine with supplements, I have tried many. Unfortunately they don't seem to do anything for me.

I started taking acidophilus probiotics but obviously it isn't enough.  Another thing is that I have an autoimmune disease and I think certain probiotics strains are known to cause sepsis in autoimmune patients. So that deterred me from taking a broad spectrum blend of them before.

Honestly I am too embarassed to list what I eat. Too much processed and junk food. I am trying to improve it as best I can. I don't know what changed. I ate much better as a kid and now foods make me sick. For instance I can't be in the same room with onions. The smell is overpowering.

I just need to deal with the neurotoxic effects of this drug, as it is really freaking me out. The voice in my head sounds distorted and I feel a physical block on my train of thought.

I think I will try some bpc-157 and pray for improvement. Because I can't live like this that's for sure.

Please recommend any supplements or things that can aid me. Just want to see some improvement.

Anything else you recommend?

#14 timothy55

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:26 AM

Hi there,

I find it difficult to put together how nitrofurantoin antibiotics can cause "alzheimer's" symptoms. In my opinion you are suffering from dysbacteriosis, which may have caused further damage in your nervous system. I would suggest that you lead a healthy lifestyle for atleast 3 months. To improve the health of your gut system (and the stomach) cut out from your food intake: spicy dishes (curries, sauces), greasy and oily food (burgers, fries and anything oil fried), sugar and salt (only natural sugar such as fructose and honey), alcohol (any type of alcohol especially wine and beer, which cause bacteria disbalance), fizzy drinks. Switch to salads, steam cooked dishes, fibre rich foods, drink more water.

At the same time I would carry out a test for microbes of the upper gut. This will give you a clearer picture of the state of your gut.

Interesting articles on this topic:

http://www.drmyhill....the_gut_and_CFS

https://www.nhs.uk/c...y-gut-syndrome/

https://blog.delimmu...s-on-dysbiosis/

#15 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:44 AM

The thing is, because of my struggles with food, I can't cut those foods out or I would literally starve. There is only a handful of foods that I can eat. For example the only vegetable I can stand is broccoli, and the only fruit bananas. I appreciate that this all sounds ridiculous, but this is the curse of my ASD. I know it is doing my brain no good and it causes me much stress.

Even apples overwhelm my taste buds. I don't drink because I can't stand the taste either.

I think i might try the nemchek protocol. I have heard that it can repair the brain as well as the gut.

I tried LDN before but that yielded no benefits.

#16 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

Sorry for the late reply Mind-Paraylsis

I am fine with supplements, I have tried many. Unfortunately they don't seem to do anything for me.

I started taking acidophilus probiotics but obviously it isn't enough.  Another thing is that I have an autoimmune disease and I think certain probiotics strains are known to cause sepsis in autoimmune patients. So that deterred me from taking a broad spectrum blend of them before.

Honestly I am too embarassed to list what I eat. Too much processed and junk food. I am trying to improve it as best I can. I don't know what changed. I ate much better as a kid and now foods make me sick. For instance I can't be in the same room with onions. The smell is overpowering.

I just need to deal with the neurotoxic effects of this drug, as it is really freaking me out. The voice in my head sounds distorted and I feel a physical block on my train of thought.

I think I will try some bpc-157 and pray for improvement. Because I can't live like this that's for sure.

Please recommend any supplements or things that can aid me. Just want to see some improvement.

Anything else you recommend?

The thing is, because of my struggles with food, I can't cut those foods out or I would literally starve. There is only a handful of foods that I can eat. For example the only vegetable I can stand is broccoli, and the only fruit bananas. I appreciate that this all sounds ridiculous, but this is the curse of my ASD. I know it is doing my brain no good and it causes me much stress.

Even apples overwhelm my taste buds. I don't drink because I can't stand the taste either.

I think i might try the nemchek protocol. I have heard that it can repair the brain as well as the gut.

I tried LDN before but that yielded no benefits.

I understand, I'm terrible at replying myself - I've got SCT, which makes it very difficult to do things at times.

Aaanyways... You shouldn't feel embarrassed about eating badly, no one is perfect, we all have vices, and many of us here at the forums have issues of our own. But, I won't pressure you into talk about what you eat, instead, let's have a look at what you REALLY don't like! = )

List the top 10 worst foods you know, that which you simply can't eat, and we'll look at alternatives. There are more fruits and vegetables than you can imagine, friend. For instance, have you ever tried raw avocado? It's got a similar texture to bananas, but a slightly different, often more neutral, taste - it also contains many, many good substances.

List what you don't eat, and we'll list something else, perhaps something you've never tried, which may be palatable to you! = )

What is the nemchek protocol, btw? Never heard of that.

#17 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:36 PM

I understand, I'm terrible at replying myself - I've got SCT, which makes it very difficult to do things at times.

Aaanyways... You shouldn't feel embarrassed about eating badly, no one is perfect, we all have vices, and many of us here at the forums have issues of our own. But, I won't pressure you into talk about what you eat, instead, let's have a look at what you REALLY don't like! = )

List the top 10 worst foods you know, that which you simply can't eat, and we'll look at alternatives. There are more fruits and vegetables than you can imagine, friend. For instance, have you ever tried raw avocado? It's got a similar texture to bananas, but a slightly different, often more neutral, taste - it also contains many, many good substances.

List what you don't eat, and we'll list something else, perhaps something you've never tried, which may be palatable to you! = )

What is the nemchek protocol, btw? Never heard of that.

List what I don't eat? God we would be here forver. The truth is I just can not stand the taste of vegetables and fruits. They all taste so sour to me and I automatically gag. Salads as I said are unthinkable to me. Things like pears,grapes and oranges . Even strawberries i find taste sour. My taste buds are all messed up and over sensitive. I have never ate a jacket potato. I can't even go out to a  restaurant on a date. I can't stand to be near so many foods due to the aroma. Pasta,curry and pizza are more examples of foods I can't eat. In school all I could eat were literally fries, as I was unable to eat much of what was on offer.

I don't want to distract from the threads purprose though if that is ok.

I am worried I have neuropathy now. How can I repair nerves? Will BPC-157 work? Diet will help of course but It's so difficult for me.

I take lions mane but I think it's a rubbish brand. If I could just improve at least a little for now then that would do.

I feel a tightness around the back of my mouth that affects my thought process. It's too much for me at the moment given I am already emotionaly numb and anhedonic.

There is also another matter that concerns me. It relates to my cholingergic system not functioning adequately. I think amitriptyline messed that up orignally and the antibiotics made the lasting effects more pronounced.

Should I be looking at cognitive enhancing drugs? I just want to be able to read and type without having difficulties.

#18 timothy55

• 10 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:01 AM

I am wondering if CBD oil can help repair neuropathy nerves?

Will do research on this later.

• like x 1

#19 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:09 AM

Your sensitive sense of smell and taste is something I've seen happen many times; it's a strong indicator of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). That may also explain your neurological response to the antibiotic, and your other brain-related symptoms.

As a long-time MCS sufferer myself -- and as someone who managed to 90% cure myself -- IME, looking for a single-supplement fix is unlikely to work. I would start with your gut, and incrementally expand from there as you improve (something like 80% of our neurotransmitters are made in the gut, so brain health really begins there).

My two cents:

1. Stop all of your supplements, except a good probiotic. Supplements can easily overdrive certain biochemical reactions in completely the wrong direction when you're unwell.
  2. Find a healthy way to eat. Most people don't get better until they do this. The diet that works best for me is called GAPS (http://www.gapsdiet....ps-outline.html): basically bone broth, meat and cooked veggies. Cooked veggies have a much different taste and texture than they way most people eat them. This way of eating is well-tolerated by even the sickest of the sick. It's also a very satisfying way to eat. It's not the only option, of course. Gerson, Macrobiotics, Paleo and even pure Carnivore help some people.
  3. Eliminate as many toxic compounds from your environment as you can. Anything with perfumes, pesticides, formaldehyde, mold, and so on. These all put a load on your detox and immune systems. You're after clean, pure water, air and food.
  4. As a short-term fix (hours, not days), you might try Alka Seltzer Gold. It's a quick-acting alkalizing agent. Many detox-related biochemical pathways work better when the body is slightly alkaline. This has worked well for me, many, many times, and I've seen it work quickly for many others, as well.

There's more you can do, as well, but that's a start.

• Good Point x 1

#20 Mind_Paralysis

• 1,715 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

Your sensitive sense of smell and taste is something I've seen happen many times; it's a strong indicator of Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS). That may also explain your neurological response to the antibiotic, and your other brain-related symptoms.

As a long-time MCS sufferer myself -- and as someone who managed to 90% cure myself -- IME, looking for a single-supplement fix is unlikely to work. I would start with your gut, and incrementally expand from there as you improve (something like 80% of our neurotransmitters are made in the gut, so brain health really begins there).

My two cents:

1. Stop all of your supplements, except a good probiotic. Supplements can easily overdrive certain biochemical reactions in completely the wrong direction when you're unwell.
  2. Find a healthy way to eat. Most people don't get better until they do this. The diet that works best for me is called GAPS (http://www.gapsdiet....ps-outline.html): basically bone broth, meat and cooked veggies. Cooked veggies have a much different taste and texture than they way most people eat them. This way of eating is well-tolerated by even the sickest of the sick. It's also a very satisfying way to eat. It's not the only option, of course. Gerson, Macrobiotics, Paleo and even pure Carnivore help some people.
  3. Eliminate as many toxic compounds from your environment as you can. Anything with perfumes, pesticides, formaldehyde, mold, and so on. These all put a load on your detox and immune systems. You're after clean, pure water, air and food.
  4. As a short-term fix (hours, not days), you might try Alka Seltzer Gold. It's a quick-acting alkalizing agent. Many detox-related biochemical pathways work better when the body is slightly alkaline. This has worked well for me, many, many times, and I've seen it work quickly for many others, as well.

There's more you can do, as well, but that's a start.

Surely there's a way for him to TEST himself, if he has MCS first, yes? Before he starts out the rather complex treatment-program you mention. Are there Dr's with the special skills needed to diagnose him with MCS? Where does one find such dr's, what tests can one take/order to confirm MCS, etc?

Edited by Mind_Paralysis, 18 January 2019 - 03:08 PM.

#21 Kimer Med

• 254 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

Surely there's a way for him to TEST himself, if he has MCS first, yes? Before he starts out the rather complex treatment-program you mention. Are there Dr's with the special skills needed to diagnose him with MCS? Where does one find such dr's, what tests can one take/order to confirm MCS, etc?

AFAIK, there aren't yet any reliable tests for MCS. It's generally considered to be a "syndrome," so diagnosis is made based on symptoms. Things like: an overly sensitive sense of taste and/or smell, intolerance of many foods, reacting to one or more odors, brain fog, excessive fatigue, history of exposure to toxic chemicals, and so on.

One place to look for doctors with specialized expertise in this area is members of the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (https://www.aaemonline.org/).

There are a few lab tests that don't provide a definitive diagnosis, but can be very helpful in guiding treatment. For example: Organic Acids (OAT), RBC Minerals, Porphyrins, and Urine Amino Acids. All are available from specialized laboratories, such as Doctor's Data or Metametrix.

Many people are are on the edge with their nutrition and overall health, so even if the condition isn't full-on MCS, the approach I suggested may still help -- it's a good way to live, even if you're currently symptom-free. Also, "official" diagnosis tends to be expensive and time consuming; the treatment is cheap and easy.

• Informative x 1

#22 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2019 - 04:23 PM

I am not too sure about this MCS. I think my issues just stem from my sensory impairment which is a part of my ASD.

Chemical sensitivity? I don't really have this. The only chemical I can think of that I can not stand to be near is bleach. For instance I love the smell of new carpet, as odd and random as that sounds lol.

But I do seem to have, in the last year, developed an allergic reaction to certain clothes. It makes my head tingle and burn. This has only happened recently however. It is quite torturous actually.

At the risk of the thread getting sidetracked, I want to return to its original purpose-fixing the damage inflicted by the antibiotic and inositol.

I think I am making progress but i'm not sure. I seem to be thinking better now at times. The words don't sound perfect in my head but they are flowing a little better at times now, which is very good. It could be a number of things I started taking.

Acidophilus, the potassium channel opener and liver cleansing herb desmodium adscendens, or magnesium orotate.

But I am still a long long way from being better.

I also have some tightness around my mouth still that makes talking more uncomfortable than it should be.

I have been so so stressed with this condition and anhedonia that it is unreal.

How I can combat the inositol induced brain fog? This has made the issue a whole lot worse and CDP choline is not helping.

#23 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 February 2019 - 04:55 AM

As others mentioned, you have to fix your gut ( second brain) before you can fix your brain issues so diet change IS part of the solution.

Staying on junk food won't help you achieve long-term success so I think you need to bite the bullet and first clean up your diet by dropping the junk and replacing it with veggies in some (cooked/palatable) form.

Antibiotics destroy a considerable portion of your gut flora which is paramount for neurotrasmitter production so re-population with a high CFU probiotics supplement (and yogurt, kefir, sauerkraut juice, kimchi) and subsequent re-feeding with prebiotics (inulin, FOS and in general fiber from veggies) are obligatory.

BPC may help but the overall gut fix is far more important IMO.

Edited by aribadabar, 03 February 2019 - 04:57 AM.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 Answers

• Topic Starter
  • 72 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

I really think the inositol messed up my cognition bad. I keep typing out the wrong word now unless I look at the keyboard. Sometimes It happens when talking.

I think because my cholinergic system was already messed up from amitriptyline that it had a worse effect on me. I hope a pro cholinergic agent like bethanechol or galantamine can reverse this.

I'm so scared.

Was also looking into AC-11 for DNA repair. Are there any other decent supplements that do the same thing? I should really take probiotics too. Doing my best with the diet.

So sick of this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cognition

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users