- - - - -

Study: High protein intake = low plasma NAD+

high protein nad

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 boroda

• 30 posts

Posted 06 January 2019 - 02:31 PM

High protein intake is associated with low plasma NAD+ levels in a healthy human cohort:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6095538/

• Informative x 4

#2 Oakman

Posted 07 January 2019 - 02:28 AM

Interesting, and indicates that NAD+ precursors (or any way to increase NAD+) could be especially helpful those with high protein intake. 

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for NUTRITION to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:39 PM

Exercise increases NAD. Therefore athletes and and bodybuilders are not depleting NAD with high levels of protein. Exercise and high levels of protein slow down sarcopenia.

Edited by Rocket, 07 January 2019 - 12:40 PM.

• Needs references x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#4 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 05:57 PM

If you want a reference, ever heard of a thing called the internet and search engines??? 

• dislike x 3
  • Needs references x 1

#5 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:49 PM

Wonder how much of the benefits that keto can potentially offer ofsets this problems.

High protein diets are just shit in general, methionine = death, just saying.

Regarding exercise (which temporarily increases gluconeogenesis:

Gluconeogenesis combats cancer: opening new doors in cancer biology

Keep in mind this is theory:

Also could it be that exercise (by being catabolic temporarily) and increasing insulin sensitivity in the muscle sucks up all methionine upon re-feed. This temporary 'methionine starvation' also starves cancer cells of methionine rendering them far more sensitive to cell death.

Imo fasting/intermittend fasting with mild cr > cr > keto > regular diets

Point is you need that window of catabolism, not too much so you cause inflammation (this is highly sensitive on the individual therefor there is no 1-size-fits-all protocol), but just enough to render faulty cells/cancer cells more sensitive to commit suicide. Since BMAL/CLOCK etc all regulate gene expression I would dare go as far as saying that timing is extremely underlooked and extremely important. For example it was shown that it is best to not eat atleast 3hours before bed, so that night during your sleep when your immune system and natural killer cells go do their work that they work optimally.

Certain herbs such as ashwagandha and teas like black tea also make cancer cells more suspectable to die, as you can see taking ashwagandha in the evening like 2-3hours after your last meal n then going bed would be a double punch to cancer cells.

Edited by MankindRising, 07 January 2019 - 09:06 PM.

• dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#6 Bubbles

• 75 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 January 2019 - 11:34 PM

MankindRising I like your post, very interesting.

As for this topic, I really have a hard time understanding NAD+ (d-ribose) vs NADH. Currently I take 1-2 times NADH per week, seems to work nice this way bu Seems about right or no?

NAD+ is an oxidizing agent – it accepts electrons from other molecules and becomes reduced. This reaction forms NADH, which can then be used as a reducing agent to donate electrons. These electron transfer reactions are the main function of NAD

So is it safer to take d-ribose (nad+) rather than nadh?

Niacin (also known as vitamin B3 and nicotinic acid) is involved in over 400 enzymatic reactions in the body and is essential for production and management of cellular energy. Niacin and its amide, nicotinamide, are precursors for the coenzyme Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide. Niacin can act directly or indirectly. Niacin acts directly via G protein coupled receptors including Niacin receptor 1 (NIACR1) and Niacin receptor 2 (NIACR2). Niacin acts indirectly when it is used to form Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide. Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide exists in two forms, NAD+ and NADH, respectively the oxidized and reduced forms. NAD+ is written with a superscript plus sign because of the formal charge on a particular nitrogen atom, but at physiological pH, for the most part, it is actually a singly charged anion (charge of minus 1), while NADH is a doubly charged anion.

And I still don't know. Why is NAD+ more popular than NADH? NADH first time on me was one of the most amazing supplements I ever had.

And so, assuming you go to a gym to workout and eat around/over 100grams of proteins per day, OP's link suggest that NAD+may be needed?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users