- - - - -

Deferoxamine -To Removre Iron from All Tissues

deferoxamine iron

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ovidus

• 131 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 10:21 AM

A lot has been discussed as potential ways to remove excess iron from the body. Various chelation agents are being discussed.

Why is there no discussion of Deferoxamine?

Deferoxamine is the medical compound of choice to remove excess iron from the body and is perhaps far more effective from any of the herbal alternatives.

Yes you don't want to remove all the iron, and yes some iron is needed. But then, you can always use a small dose of Deferoxamine or other similar agents. 

Ideas?

#2 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:34 AM

I believe Deferoxamine is a parenteral (non-oral) med, often used with a slow infusion pump to avoid damaging the kidneys.  Deferasirox and deferiprone are oral chelators, but have various side effects of their own.  

Even with the massive overload of hemochromatosis, bloodletting is still the preferred and safest method of lowering iron.  I understand this (blood donation) isn't for everyone.  The needle they use is a big one!  

Fortunately, iron reduction isn't something that needs to be done fast.  Even a single blood donation will sharply lower transferrin saturation and pull iron from macrophages, which should quiet acute inflammation until another donation can be made.  

I've donated over 6 gallons of blood over the past 30 years, as well as utilizing moderate amounts of IP6, curcumin & quercetin to tweak iron homeostasis lower between donations.  I truly feel it's been a fountain of youth for me.  

• Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ovidus

• Topic Starter
  • 131 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:52 PM

Thanks a ton Dorian

Have you ever had too low iron levels?

As a general rule, would you say that -as long as one feels fine- one should not worry about low blood levels?

Or can one tank iron levels too low with the combo you suggested above (donations, IP6, curcumin & quercetin )

Thanks a ton Dorian

Have you ever had too low iron levels?

As a general rule, would you say that -as long as one feels fine- one should not worry about low blood levels?

Or can one tank iron levels too low with the combo you suggested above (donations, IP6, curcumin & quercetin )

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 Dorian Grey

• 2,159 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

I did indeed bleed and chelate myself into a brief iron deficiency.  It was no big deal, & once I realized what was going on, a brief respite from my bloodletting brought swift recovery.  Rapid pulse, exercise intolerance, and fatigue are the symptoms.  This never became a big issue, as it only takes a brief break in iron reduction for a full recovery.  I had actually pulled my ferritin down into the teens for a few months.  

Studies with hemochromatosis patients have shown that simply lowering iron to within "normal" ranges will not effectively pull iron out of tissues.  The body will always utilize available iron in blood ferritin to generate new red cells, leaving tissue iron untouched.  

It is only when ferritin is lowered to around 50, that the body starts "mining" iron out of tissues, & most hemochromatosis protocols recommend keeping ferritin at 50 for at least a year to insure tissue iron had been effectively lowered.  

My ferritin used to quickly "rebound" after donating, indicating plenty of tissue iron was available, & it indeed took a year or so before this stopped occurring.  

I believe the hemochromatosis protocol is in fact remarkably accurate.  Pull ferritin down to around 50 for a year, and your tissues will effectively be de-ironed.  

I'm 62 years old, & have lived a rather bohemian lifestyle.  Rather carnivorous and fond of beer (alcohol increases absorption of dietary iron).  I have no chronic health issues, and my coworkers were surprised when I retired in October.  No one knew I was in my 60s!  

Iron homeostasis has been a fountain of youth for me.  Very little to lose by trying this, and perhaps much to gain!  Some of my rants on "Ferrotoxic Disease" here:

https://www.longecit...isease-omnibus/

Stay Healthy my friend!  

Edited by Dorian Grey, 05 February 2019 - 09:24 AM.

• WellResearched x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deferoxamine, iron

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users