During Infections: Take NAD+ or not?

virus nad+ nicotinamide riboside

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 male_1978

• 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 07:06 AM

Hello,

i would like to hear your oppinions and experiences on that topic. If you have a virus infection, would you still take NR or NMN?  Did you experience any changes to your immune system while supplementing?

Thanks a lot!

#2 sinkpoint

• 13 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 05:56 PM

I would stop any NAD+ supplements, also avoid anything that is a CD38 antagonist like Quercetin. 

• Good Point x 1

#3 male_1978

• Topic Starter
  • 109 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

I would stop any NAD+ supplements, also avoid anything that is a CD38 antagonist like Quercetin. 

I am just wondering... . I do know this argument, but on the contrary i felt really healthy (with almost no infections) since i take nicotinamide riboside supplements.

Could it be that the purpose of CD38 is to reduce energy locally for pathogens and damaged cells while having more NAD+ and less CD38 in the rest of the body actually supports the immune system?

Are there any NAD+ users who feel any difference in this regard?

#4 ledgf

• 40 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 01:54 PM

I've been taking NR for over two years... I've had no serious colds or flus. Whatever else it does, it makes me sleep better, that probably prevents a lot of problems. 

#5 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 03:59 PM

NAD did nothing good in my case. The jar it came in looks nice though. Anything with all sales final is a "do not touch". We live and learn. I stop all supplementation during antibiotic use.

No, I wouldn't use anything except an antibiotic during an infection.

Edited by 2tender, 26 February 2019 - 04:02 PM.

#6 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:18 PM

I am just wondering... . I do know this argument, but on the contrary i felt really healthy (with almost no infections) since i take nicotinamide riboside supplements.

Could it be that the purpose of CD38 is to reduce energy locally for pathogens and damaged cells while having more NAD+ and less CD38 in the rest of the body actually supports the immune system?

CD38 is expressed in large amounts by macrphages which are your body's defense cells. 

http://www.jimmunol....Supplement/49.4

the more ramped up your immune system is the higher the levels of CD38 there will be 

So taking CD38 suppressors while sick is likely not a good idea. 

#7 sinkpoint

• 13 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

Like others said, CD38 is used by the immune system to deprive pathogen of NAD+.

NAD+ is a boost of energy for all cells in the body, including pathogens. 

My theory is, in a healthy state, the immune system suppresses pathogens, and therefore a boost of NAD+ for the stronger immune system is desirable. 

In disease, the pathogen has already overcome the immune system, and the body is mounting a more aggressive response. In this case, giving the stronger pathogens more NAD+ and remove CD38 is just asking for trouble. 

#8 LawrenceW

• 401 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:54 PM

So taking CD38 suppressors while sick is likely not a good idea. 

Agreed that taking CD38 suppressors is a bad idea.

From this study: https://www.scienced...550413116302248

"The fact that CD38 metabolizes not only NAD, but also NMN, may indicate that CD38 could at least in part decrease the availability of extracellular and intracellular NAD precursors to cells during the aging process."

Does the increase in CD38 as we age mean that CD38 consumes a higher percentage of available NAD and NMN? 

Does providing the body with more NMN and therefore NAD mean that there is more NAD to fuel both CD38 and the other functions?

Therefore is NAD precursor supplementation to sustain the increased activity of CD38 as we age a good thing?

Edited by LawrenceW, 26 February 2019 - 04:57 PM.

#9 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:18 PM

NAD did nothing good in my case. The jar it came in looks nice though. Anything with all sales final is a "do not touch". We live and learn. I stop all supplementation during antibiotic use.

No, I wouldn't use anything except an antibiotic during an infection.

Ehmmm antibiotics can have permanent negative effects, are you even aware of that?

• Good Point x 1
  • dislike x 1

#10 2tender

• 673 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

No I'm not. I just rode into town on a couple thousand heads of cabbage. I'm a potato farmer by trade, I didn't have my first pair of shoes until I was 20, socks came later. Thanks for the accurate information.

• Cheerful x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • like x 1

#11 Ambrosia

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 February 2019 - 08:25 AM

Avoid NR for infection, there are better things out there like vitamin D and high dose vitamin C
  • Needs references x 2
  • Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: virus, nad+, nicotinamide riboside

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users