• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

What is the best preservative to use for DIY topical beauty products?

preservative diy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 11:47 PM

Wondering what is the best preservative to use for DIY beauty products?

There are lots of options, which one do you think is the least toxic, least abrasive to the body but will still preserve the substance you are working with? 

#2 CedarWind

• 19 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:15 AM

This is somewhat controversial but I believe alcohol is overall the safest and as effective as more traditional preservatives. It's not perfect, and by definition no preservative can be because for it to work it has to be somewhat cytotoxic. But out of all the options, I like to use ethanol at 22% of the product. It's very effective and evaporates within seconds of applying vs other preservatives that sit on the skin as long as the product is on and absorb though the skin.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Mike1024

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 February 2019 - 08:06 PM

I use cheap gin (about $13 for a handle (1.75 L) at 40% ethanol) as a preservative and to improve the solubility of some herbal extracts (boswellia, Olive leaf extract, and GTE)   . Anything above about 20% ethanol should be stable from mold and such.

• Good Point x 1

#4 Mike1024

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:56 AM

My current experiment is to improve the sun damage on my arms using a mixer of vitamin c, MSM, and nicamamide in 40% ethanol. I also add some boswellia extract, Olive leaf extract, GTE and a few mg MB. It seem to help some over the last 6 months. I know that vitamin c will react with the nicamamide to make niacin over time, but it takes a few weeks so if I make it fresh it is not a problem.

#5 Phoebus

• Topic Starter
  • 851 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:22 AM

My current experiment is to improve the sun damage on my arms using a mixer of vitamin c, MSM, and nicamamide in 40% ethanol. I also add some boswellia extract, Olive leaf extract, GTE and a few mg MB. It seem to help some over the last 6 months. I know that vitamin c will react with the nicamamide to make niacin over time, but it takes a few weeks so if I make it fresh it is not a problem.

So niacinamide is better for the skin than niacin? 

#6 Mike1024

• 13 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

So niacinamide is better for the skin than niacin? 

Yes. Niacin on the skin can cause unpleasant flushing while niacinamide does not.

• Good Point x 1

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users