Resting heart rates versus age

cardiac antiaging

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rocket

• 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2019 - 01:42 AM

I have been searching for the answer to the question of why do children have higher resting heart rates than adults. Is it because at a very very early age that our bodies begin to age and slowly fail? From the fetus to adulthood, the resting heart rate goes down considerably with each year.

So if we our anti aging supplements and chemicals do reverse the aging of our cells, do we expect that the younger the effective rejuvenation we achieve that we can expect our heart rates to go up accordingly?

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 01 March 2019 - 05:48 PM

Exercise and cardio-vascular health can modulate resting heart rate as well, correct? That might affect this type of measurement.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Rocket

• Topic Starter
  • 1,072 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 March 2019 - 08:13 PM

Exercise and cardio-vascular health can modulate resting heart rate as well, correct? That might affect this type of measurement.

I am just trying to understand why heart rate goes down with age. I would wager that a 3 year old heart with a resting heart rate of 110 is healthier than a 50 year old heart with a resting heart rate of 75.

A 3 year with a a resting heart rate of 110 is healthy, but in an adult is judged to be unhealthy. Why?

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:36 PM

Maybe the 3 year old needs a higher heart rate because it is growing so much/fast.

#5 Oakman

Posted 02 March 2019 - 03:40 PM

I am just trying to understand why heart rate goes down with age. I would wager that a 3 year old heart with a resting heart rate of 110 is healthier than a 50 year old heart with a resting heart rate of 75.

A 3 year with a a resting heart rate of 110 is healthy, but in an adult is judged to be unhealthy. Why?

Perhaps age isn't the metric to gauge HR against, rather mass may be a better one. Here are a couple charts to expand on that idea in this .pdf

http://www.math.niu....ong/360/014.pdf

couple examples taken from that:

Canary has a mass 30 grams of and a HR of 1000 (!!)

at the other side

Horse has a mass 450,000 grams of and a HR of 38.

Click HERE to rent this GENETICS advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 18 March 2019 - 08:00 PM

Heart rate varies inversely with body mass, other things being equal. A sparrows heart beats over 200 times a minute. Exercise can lower it significantly from the textbook 72 beats per minute for a human male. A bike racer typically has resting hr under 40. Due to the heart muscle growing stronger and larger with exercise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users