- - - - -

The Next Day "Workout Hangover"

exercise dlpa

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CWF1986

• 224 posts

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:27 PM

I was wondering if taking some some DLPA an hour or so after my PWO shake would help with the ‘Workout Hangover’ the next day.

My thoughts were that the DLPA would help provide the raw material for the catecholamines, trace amines, and endorphins that get used up during a training session.

If so, what would be a decent starting dose and what’s the highest I would wanna go.

#2 WillNitschke

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:14 AM

What do you mean by 'workout hangover' ?

Do you mean muscle ache? If that's what you're talking about, then just work out regularly and your body will adapt and the muscle soreness will go away.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 CWF1986

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:14 PM

Lol, no not the soreness.  I mean like mental fog, a bad mood, and low energy levels.  

I went ahead and tried DLPA and it didn't help.  What did help is subbing some of the neurologically demanding exercises in my week like squats for something less so that works most the same muscle groups like leg presses and not pushing sets to failure.  So instead of back squatting 3x week, I'll back squat, leg press, and front squat each week.  For one example. 

#4 WillNitschke

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:47 AM

I suspect you've overloaded the ability of your body to recover from the stresses you've subjected it to. You probably need to drop the volume on your lifts and build up very gradually. If you're young this will be difficult for you to do, as the younger you are, the more you tend to over do it because you want results now, and not later. Your body will adapt if you build up gradually over time. You need to look at resistance training as something you need to do over the course of your life, so it's not about 3 months to get a good beach body. It's all about consistency over many many years. Especially if you have an alpha male type personality, you need to figure out that line between maximum effort and injury risk.

• Good Point x 3
  • Informative x 1

#5 CWF1986

• Topic Starter
  • 224 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:44 PM

^

Some sage wisdom there.  Nothing I didn't already know but it's really good to hear reminders.  I'm rebuilding to where I was a couple to few years ago so I've been eating some humble pie and I don't like it haha.  But I figure I just need to take my time and build gradually and I bet in 16-24 weeks I'll be near or at my former peak levels.  I know that doesn't sound like very long but I held those numbers and muscle for many years and it's a lot faster to work back up to former numbers than to build up to them for the first time.

Thanks!

Totally unrelated to the OP but what's your take on deadlifts?  If you don't DL what do you do to train those muscles and the hip hinge movement.  I was thinking of subbing DLs with snatch grip high pulls or power cleans.  Maybe even hang cleans with a push press.  

• like x 1

#6 WillNitschke

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 June 2019 - 10:40 AM

^
As you can see from my avatar pic I don't look too bad, but for various reasons I haven't been able to do a lot of heavy leg work, including DL's, since my 20's. (I'm 52.) The various reasons include 25 years of martial arts where the Muay Thai turning leg kicks have done some serious wear and tear damage to my knees. IF you can DL then that is an amazing exercise, provided that you do them with PERFECT form. Like any other heavy lift you need to give your body RESPECT when you do them and stay focused. It's not a forgiving exercise if you screw around. The risk is hurting your back or damaging your knees. As for myself, I'm building up very slowly on leg presses again. I'm like one year into this, and only now starting to lift mildly heavy weight. I don't think I'll ever return to doing DL's. My focus is to just build some muscle mass in my gluts and quads. My general advice would be not to over think this. Any compound movement is going to give you good results. Let's face it, you must have noticed all those clowns at the gym doing silly exercises but they somehow still look good. Keep it simple, stick to any sort of compound movement. If you introduce a new exercise, go lighter on it than you want to at first at least for 2 weeks, as it will put different stresses on your body. If you tend to lift heavy, switching exercises for the first time multiplies the injury risk. Make sure you know exactly how to do that exercise with PERFECT form before you start doing it. Good luck.

• Informative x 1

#7 Olivia Fair

• 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:44 PM

Don't use weight that is heavy for you until you learn technique and build strength in your joints and support muscle. Use a planner book  to keep track of my workouts. 
Protein, cold baths, carbohydrates, cool-down routines directly after a work-out all help sore muscles. 
After a very intense lifting session, you may need two or three days of rest for your muscles to recover for the next 'very intense' lifting session. If you do not give your muscles adequate rest, then they will not be ready for the demands placed on them during the next work-out.

• Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 WillNitschke

• 79 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:38 PM

Broadly speaking volume is always superior to intensity. If you're training near your limits and are sore for 3 days, then maybe you're doing 12 sets at 100kg = 1200kg lifted. But if you're not sore (or much less so) at 70kg and can fit two work outs in three days, then that's 24 x 70kg = 1680kg. It's not rocket science to figure out that forcing your body to move 1680kg is going to encourage more growth and adaptation than lifting 1200kg within the same time frame.

• Informative x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: exercise, dlpa

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users