• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nrf2 activators like Sulforaphane - should they be cycled?

sulforaphane nrf2 cycling

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Biologist

• 32 posts

Posted 09 March 2019 - 09:47 AM

Nrf2 activators, Sulforaphane being the most potent AFAIK, cause a host of cellular defense responses. Nrf2 is also triggered during fasting.

But do we know if they should be taken daily, or perhaps cycled weekly? Do you take 25 mg/day or 175 mg once a week?

Let me know if you've seen any evidence to imply one is better than the other. 

• Good Point x 1

#2 GABAergic

• 349 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 11:02 PM

i was reading about Nrf activators possibly being detrimental for general health long term. im pretty sure regular high dose long term use of sulforaphane is not a good idea. i have personally being using it for a while now, and i do feel strange at times, kind of very tired when going to sleep and waking up next day. reminds me of fasting a bit, which also causes nrf activation. i would suggest to be careful with this stuff as i do not feel any much better than when i first started 3 months ago.

• Needs references x 3
  • unsure x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 03:55 AM

The best evidence you will have is your personal experience. Unfortunately, most pharma and supplement studies concentrate on daily dose regimens. Through observation of the deep root of this paradigm, I offer that it's even the presumed wisdom in places like this.

But the logic of hormesis and upregulatory effects dictates that space between doses be tested, in my opinion.

With sulforaphane, I realized a bad blood sugar drop on the second consecutive day of dosing.

My perception of it is that there is a definite lag in therapeutic effect response that warrants skipping days.

Using a 2-3 day intermittent dose frequency, I notice a different and better response on day two. When I haven't taken it.

On the day on which I take it, I feel more fragile (ie: migraine prone)  and run down. By the second half of the second day, I feel good. That nights sleep can be great. 

I'm still experimenting with it, but the message is to test. 

But no, I don't think that it is logical to dose once per week with 7x of the daily dose. Take a normal daily dose. It isn't vitamin D. 

Edited by Ames, 22 January 2022 - 04:00 AM.

• unsure x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#4 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:12 PM

Another point to keep in mind for sulforaphane is that it is an inhibitor of MTOR (and feels like it). And that the common wisdom is for MTOR inhibitors to be dosed only intermittently, as adjusted for age. 

I think that prominent poster here recommended Rapamycin be taken at a frequency of once per week or so, even at his age of 60+.

That may be where I end up with sulforaphane.

Edited by Ames, 22 January 2022 - 09:15 PM.

• Ill informed x 1

#5 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:27 PM

I take 250mg I3C daily, after lunch, since about a year for its antiviral properties. No side effects (and definitely no change in fasting glucose). YMMV.

Sulforaphane is quite different, albeit is extracted from cruciferous as well.

Some ref on those compounds and their properties:

Dietary Glucosinolates Sulforaphane, Phenethyl Isothiocyanate, Indole-3-Carbinol/3,3′-Diindolylmethane: Antioxidative Stress/Inflammation, Nrf2, Epigenetics/Epigenomics and In Vivo Cancer Chemopreventive Efficacy | SpringerLink

Edited by syr_, 22 January 2022 - 09:28 PM.

#6 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:19 AM

I currently try Sulforophane twice a week.

#7 johnhemming

• 311 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 08:22 AM

Take a normal daily dose. It isn't vitamin D. 

I would argue that Vitamin D should be taken daily rather than lumped together.  There was a study that found it was not that helpful that reported recently, but a big dose was taken monthly rather than divided into each day.  The way it is metabolised and stored it is clearly one for every day.

I did a video in which inter alia I commented on my experimentation with Vitamin D dosing

Edited by johnhemming, 23 January 2022 - 08:23 AM.

• Agree x 2
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#8 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 23 January 2022 - 05:26 PM

But no, I don't think that it is logical to dose once per week with 7x of the daily dose. Take a normal daily dose. It isn't vitamin D. 

I realize that this wording is unclear.

What I meant to communicate was that, in my opinion and in regard to sulforaphane, if you are only going to take it once per week then don't multiply the dose on the day that you take it because you are taking it less frequently. Take it at the same dose you would take it on any given day. 

It isn't advice to take it every day.

Edited by Ames, 23 January 2022 - 05:27 PM.

#9 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,047 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 04:43 PM

A lot of speculation in this thread. I know the literature supports sulforaphane as a very beneficial supplement.

Any human studies showing negative side effects? There is almost always some side effect to monitor.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 Ames

• 361 posts

Posted 25 January 2022 - 08:37 PM

A lot of speculation in this thread. I know the literature supports sulforaphane as a very beneficial supplement.

Any human studies showing negative side effects? There is almost always some side effect to monitor.

This isn't what you are asking for, specifically, but here is a summary of Nrf2 over-expression risks. I understand that they don't necessarily implicate sulforaphane.

I am specifically linking for item 7 on the webpage: "Downsides to Nrf2 Overexpression". The webpage code isn't allowing for a specific link to that subhead.

https://mybiohack.co...s-sensitivities

Edited by Ames, 25 January 2022 - 08:50 PM.

• Informative x 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sulforaphane, nrf2, cycling

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users