Magnesium Sulfate (orally)

magnesium nmda sulfur sulfate

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MankindRising

• 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

How come there is no talk of this. It delivers both sulfur and magnesium (both are relatively low in the western diet).

To those who have taken it, does taking it orally have any gut issues?

#2 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:56 PM

I use Rogadska Donat Mg for its high Mg content as Mg-sulfate (~1g/L; also contains for example 3mg of Lithium) for many years. Tolerate about a liter per day. Others who tried either don't like its taste or tolerate only a glass per day (divided throughout the day). So as with any other Mg-caption, there is an individual oral limit which might cause loose stools. Which too could be very beneficial for example in chronic constipation.

However, tried every other caption of Magnesium, and combined with this Mg-water, got in avg. about 1.6 g/d of elemental Mg for the last 10 years, trying to overcome a severe Mg-deficiency. Which only alleviated my very severely painful muscle-cramps somewhat. While whole blood Mg-levels declined further. Finally found a GP a little more than a year ago, who would agree to give me regular Mg-sulfate IVs. Very inexpensive at about €20,- for 5 IVs at local pharmacies (non-prescription). The addition of those IVs alone - though on top of continuing my high oral intake of 2.4 g/d now - since it's 6th ceased all my muscle cramps. After the 10th got levels retested:

year - mg/dl

2012 - 31.8
2015 - 29.9
2018 - 32.8

Normal range 34-46! So still at least as many IVs needed to just reach normal range again.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 MankindRising

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2019 - 01:39 PM

I use Rogadska Donat Mg for its high Mg content as Mg-sulfate (~1g/L; also contains for example 3mg of Lithium) for many years. Tolerate about a liter per day. Others who tried either don't like its taste or tolerate only a glass per day (divided throughout the day). So as with any other Mg-caption, there is an individual oral limit which might cause loose stools. Which too could be very beneficial for example in chronic constipation.

However, tried every other caption of Magnesium, and combined with this Mg-water, got in avg. about 1.6 g/d of elemental Mg for the last 10 years, trying to overcome a severe Mg-deficiency. Which only alleviated my very severely painful muscle-cramps somewhat. While whole blood Mg-levels declined further. Finally found a GP a little more than a year ago, who would agree to give me regular Mg-sulfate IVs. Very inexpensive at about €20,- for 5 IVs at local pharmacies (non-prescription). The addition of those IVs alone - though on top of continuing my high oral intake of 2.4 g/d now - since it's 6th ceased all my muscle cramps. After the 10th got levels retested:

year - mg/dl

2012 - 31.8
2015 - 29.9
2018 - 32.8

Normal range 34-46! So still at least as many IVs needed to just reach normal range again.

Thats very interesting, I never heard of that drink before and it seems its available in the country where I live.

I got prescribed movicolon which contains macrogol and some other things but Ive been hesitant to try it. I cant see any information regarding it contains lithium though, ughhh I dont think id want that in my drink.

Regarding the IV's, I dont really have a deficiency though magnesium does seem to benefit me. Also from what I understand plasma levels dont necesarry reflect tissue levels. Magnesium oil (transdermal) has been a godsend for me.

I got interested in the magnesium sulfate, because I have asd and theres some studies showing that sulfur deficiency is pretty comon in ASD, thats what made want to try it.

Ive used the foothbaths in the past, im not sure if it helped but it did seem to atleast acutely dramatically lower my blood pressure.

#4 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

Also from what I understand plasma levels dont necesarry reflect tissue levels. Magnesium oil (transdermal) has been a godsend for me.

Transdermal didn't help with my muscle cramps. You are right that plasma levels don't reflect tissue levels of Mg. RBC (Red blood cell) Mg level would. Since RBC-Mg tests aren't available in my country, but whole blood-Mg instead - which is just the sum of plasma plus RBC Magnesium combined - above test results do reflect tissue levels too.

Plasma Mg levels don't reflect tissue levels because homeostasis prevents them to go too low, which very fast would be deathly. But it does that at the expense of tissue levels. My plasma levels have been high normal! (though declining within normal over the years too)

Therefore, since plasma and RBC Magnesium was tested combined with the 'whole blood Mg' tests, which showed a very severe deficiency; and since plasma Mg is still normal, I have to conclude that RBC-Mg - the real tissue content - is even much more the severity of a deficiency as shown in whole blood. Because the abundance of Mg in plasma would dilute the lack in RBC further.

#5 MankindRising

• Topic Starter
  • 178 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2019 - 04:28 PM

Shame there are so little studies on (oral) magnesium sulfate.

Im trying to find out how sulfur administration (in the form of magnesium sulfate) would affect for following:

* sulfation of steroids (would there for example be an increase in DHEA-S and pregnenolone sulfate?)

* is magnesium sulfate by itself (so without the bicarb in donat) save for GERD? I cant use magnesium citrate this literally feels like burning a hole in my stomach

* how does magnesium sulfate affect the brain, Ive seen some studies showing it can help against convulsions, while other websites recommend against it since it can cause them? I literally cant seem to find any paper how magnesium sulfate affects neurotransmitters such as serotonin, noradrenalin, dopamine and nmda/gaba.

Id really appreciate it if someone could provide me some answers to the above (preferably with a linked paper). Reps for posting :)

#6 Ovidus

• 131 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 05:00 PM

year - mg/dl

2012 - 31.8
2015 - 29.9
2018 - 32.8

If I may ask, what caused chronically low Mg levels?

Also, are you aware of any issues associated with long-term intake of oral magnesium sulfate? The other commonly supplemented magnesium forms are Ok for long term use, but I was wondering if the sulfate version has a similar safety profile.

Very good news that you re feeling better.....

#7 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:35 AM

If I may ask, what caused chronically low Mg levels?

Also, are you aware of any issues associated with long-term intake of oral magnesium sulfate? The other commonly supplemented magnesium forms are Ok for long term use, but I was wondering if the sulfate version has a similar safety profile.

Very good news that you re feeling better.....

In retrospect I can of course only speculate.

Most probably I was already born with deficiencies. Since my mother never supplemented and my life began with a serious pneumonia right after the first breath. Followed by a very sickly childhood (fever fits, measles, mumps, meningitis..)

Then I became vegetarian out of ethical reasons already at age 10. Especially limiting the variety of foods during a whole decade of backpacking in developing countries without supplementing as young adult. Had for example 7 malarias.

All culminated with chronic diseases age 41 (PAD, prediabetes, asymptomatic COPD and CFS symptoms), when I finally started with comprehensive supplementation with very good results (60% walking disability revoked after 6 years again..).

Therefore I suspect a kind of refeeding syndrome, where by starting to supplement vitamin D3, along with usually considered plenty of Mg, an already subclinical Mg-deficiency was pushed to very severe. Obviously have a defect in absorbing oral Mg too.

That's my best theory. With my usually deathly diseases, I didn't even look at the long-term safety of naturally occurring Mg-sulfate in natural spring water which I now consumed for years. My concern was primarily to survive, and get better from usually considered non-reversible disease. Which I did. :)

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Ovidus

• 131 posts

Posted 15 March 2019 - 09:45 AM

I am very sorry to hear all this pamojja

It is awesome that you are better though

I have been reading about oral Magnesium Sulfate and it is more commonly used for either topical application or as a batch salt. When used as a batch salt, it appears fairly useful. 
As far as oral use, however, most user feedback reports bowel movements as a result. Experiencing diarrhea would defeat the purpose obviously...

Also, bioavailabilty of the magnesium in Magnesium Sulfate seems suspect 
https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/3430654 not sure if this study is perfectly applicable to more reasonable levels of intake, but still....

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magnesium, nmda, sulfur, sulfate

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users