• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using berberine with low carb or during fasting?

berberine

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Benko

• 221 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 12:27 AM

I have been using berberine for a coupla months and liked it and was losing weight (I was eating mostly non-junk carbs, but not low carb) .  However:

A. I did a 24 hour fast and after 24 hours my blood sugar was down into mid 70s (fasting blood sugar =85)and I was cold and didn't feel well.

B.  I'm now eating lower carb (salad/veggies/animal protein and 1 cup berries/day) and the few times since I changed my diet I've taken berberine, I likewise didn't feel well.

Thanks for your time.

Edited by Benko, 26 March 2019 - 12:28 AM.

#2 Andey

• 673 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 11:18 AM

A. Its pretty normal to be cold during fasting as a peripheral reaction to thyroid hormones decreases (body tries to conserve itself in a time of famine). Yours happened pretty fast as 24h is not much in terms of fasting but you are probably hypocaloric (as you are losing weight) so your body is in a semi-fasted state anyway.

Blood sugars of 60+ are normal. I risk sounding patronizing but its ok not to feel ok during first few fasts - that this 'fat adaptation' thing going on

B. hard to say what's going on

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Benko

• Topic Starter
  • 221 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 03:42 PM

Thanks and

its ok not to feel ok during first few fasts - that this 'fat adaptation' thing going on

I only ask because I was fine fasting without berberine, it was only fasting with berberine that I didn't feel well.  Still perhaps the fat adaptation thing.

#4 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 26 March 2019 - 04:43 PM

Fasting will obviously drop your blood sugar and berberine, which can act as a glucose disposal agent, can also drop blood sugar and fasting with berberine can be additive in some people causing lower blood sugar than either fasting or berberine alone. Your body will attempt to maintain blood sugar homeostasis during a fast to maintain minimum blood sugar levels to maintain the preferred energy source for the brain but berberine can interfere with this by depressing blood sugar even further and if you aren't in full ketosis, the brain can experience a lack of blood sugar which isn't pleasant.
  • Needs references x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:28 AM

I took berberine for a while, along with intermittent fasting.   Seemed to induce severe constipation for me, so I've dropped it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: berberine

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users