• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Help me make my grandfather live longer :)

resveratrol

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jrausis

• 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 March 2019 - 07:07 PM

Hey guys,

My grandfather (my only grandparent left) had some health issue past year and I've been helping him since.

I gave him vitamins, minerals & omega-3 and it help a lot! 

He gained mental clarity, feels better, moves better, etc.

I want to buy NR & Resveratrol (NMN being a little too pricey) for him and hope to make him live a little longer. 

I've seen so many suppliers for both, but I'm not sure who is the best one.

Is there a tip you can share with me to save some money? Idk, like buying bulk Resveratrol powder or something?

Where do you get yours? What brand? For what reason do you think it's best?

That would definitely help.

Thank you very much!

#2 ledgf

• 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 02:51 PM

I use Niagen from Chromadex, just because it's the most likely to be NR. (Elysium would be on them in a flash if Chromadex sold any bad NR). 

There is a LOT more human experience with NR. Only one NMN trial is listed on clinicaltrials dot gov, compared to 33 for NR (several of which have already reported). 

Best of luck. 

http://sci-hub.tw/ht...pubmed/30917412

#3 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:37 PM

I use Niagen from Chromadex, just because it's the most likely to be NR. (Elysium would be on them in a flash if Chromadex sold any bad NR). 

There is a LOT more human experience with NR. Only one NMN trial is listed on clinicaltrials dot gov, compared to 33 for NR (several of which have already reported). 

Best of luck. 

http://sci-hub.tw/ht...pubmed/30917412

Thanks, why not Elysium? Price?

I've heard Sinclair saying that Elysium had an excellent quality product.

#4 ledgf

• 40 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 03:52 PM

Elysium used to sell Chromadex's NR. Now Elysium won't even disclose who their current NR supplier is.... even though they're in lawsuits with Chromadex, and CDXC has been trying to get the information. If you have access to IR and mass spectrography to check it, then maybe. Personally I'm not going to try to save a dollar on my few supplements... and I don't want pterostilbene in it anyway, I get plenty from blueberries ;)

You might want to look up Sinclair's record... ask the pharma company that paid him $720 million for resveratrol work that didn't replicate. There's conflict of interest all over the NAD+ field... that paper I just posted has Guarante's name on it, but hopefully the work was done by the Japanese. (Guarante is one of the few "scientists" in the world to have to retract papers because he PhotoShopped the gel lanes... upside down and clumsily ;)

• Good Point x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#5 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 03:16 PM

Elysium used to sell Chromadex's NR. Now Elysium won't even disclose who their current NR supplier is.... even though they're in lawsuits with Chromadex, and CDXC has been trying to get the information. If you have access to IR and mass spectrography to check it, then maybe. Personally I'm not going to try to save a dollar on my few supplements... and I don't want pterostilbene in it anyway, I get plenty from blueberries ;)

You might want to look up Sinclair's record... ask the pharma company that paid him $720 million for resveratrol work that didn't replicate. There's conflict of interest all over the NAD+ field... that paper I just posted has Guarante's name on it, but hopefully the work was done by the Japanese. (Guarante is one of the few "scientists" in the world to have to retract papers because he PhotoShopped the gel lanes... upside down and clumsily ;)

Elysium product is great in quality, it can't be otherwise with the team and funds they have. 

Can you tell me more about the "not replicated revseratrol results" ?

I know that the firm that bought Sinclair's company for $720 gave up on resveratrol, but why exactly? 

Edited by Jrausis, 29 March 2019 - 03:19 PM.

#6 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:05 PM

Elysium Basis is NR plus pterostilbene

There is a lot of talk on the personal experience threads that pterostilbene causes joint aches and creakiness in some people. 

Given your Pops is getting up there I personally would not give him pterostilbene

Just find the best deal on Niagen amazon has to offer and go with that. 

• Disagree x 1

#7 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:39 PM

Elysium Basis is NR plus pterostilbene

There is a lot of talk on the personal experience threads that pterostilbene causes joint aches and creakiness in some people. 

Given your Pops is getting up there I personally would not give him pterostilbene

Just find the best deal on Niagen amazon has to offer and go with that. 

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize it was so common, I've heard that pterostilbene was most likely 100% safe and that ChromaDex was full of crap on it because they just wanted to make Elysium look bad.

• Agree x 1

#8 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize it was so common, I've heard that pterostilbene was most likely 100% safe and that ChromaDex was full of crap on it because they just wanted to make Elysium look bad.

Do a search for pterostilbene on this page for discussion 

https://www.longecit...-thread/page-71

#9 bluemoon

• 761 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 06:10 PM

I've heard that pterostilbene was most likely 100% safe and that ChromaDex was full of crap on it because they just wanted to make Elysium look bad.

Both are true. He could try it at 50 mg or 100 mg for a week or two to see. Obviously, negative reactions are rare. 

• Agree x 1

#10 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2019 - 10:48 PM

My grandpa died 5 days ago. I never dared to give him anything powerful in fear of harming him, given that he took a lot of meds. It is extremely sad.
  • Agree x 2

#11 joesixpack

• 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:25 PM

You seem to be pretty well informed on the issues, to be asking such a basic question, about where to buy it.

#12 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:27 PM

You seem to be pretty well informed on the issues, to be asking such a basic question, about where to buy it.

I'm well informed.

Just never bought any, been reading about it for about a week now (a few days at time of this post), and wanted to know if maybe there is a good deal that I'm not aware of... 

#13 Phoebus

• 851 posts

Posted 30 March 2019 - 09:37 PM

I'm well informed.

Just never bought any, been reading about it for about a week now (a few days at time of this post), and wanted to know if maybe there is a good deal that I'm not aware of... 

there isn't 

its a duopoly right now with NR, prices are pretty much locked in. 

#14 joesixpack

• 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:06 PM

there isn't 

its a duopoly right now with NR, prices are pretty much locked in. 

It will be interesting to see what happens when the litigation between Chromadex and Elysium is resolved. I think we would all like to see new products from these companies, like cocktails with multiple ingredients and valid dosing information.

But that is unlikely until the fight ends.

#15 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2019 - 10:26 PM

It will be interesting to see what happens when the litigation between Chromadex and Elysium is resolved. I think we would all like to see new products from these companies, like cocktails with multiple ingredients and valid dosing information.

But that is unlikely until the fight ends.

I ended up taking ResveraCel from Throne, looks like a great mix.

• Agree x 1

#16 joesixpack

• 457 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:47 AM

I ended up taking ResveraCel from Throne, looks like a great mix.

Good luck, hope it helps your grandfather.

#17 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 12:54 AM

Good luck, hope it helps your grandfather.

Will definitely give some feedback!

Bought some for my mother too (she is 54)

#18 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 01:45 PM

I have been taking NR as part of the Thorne Resveracel supplement and I have not felt a thing. Finished the bottle.

Then I tried the NMN powder (Alive) and felt immediate energy increase.

Now I am taking NAD+, it is even better (in terms of energy and mental clarity).

• Agree x 2
  • Informative x 1

#19 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:23 PM

I have been taking NR as part of the Thorne Resveracel supplement and I have not felt a thing. Finished the bottle.

Then I tried the NMN powder (Alive) and felt immediate energy increase.

Now I am taking NAD+, it is even better (in terms of energy and mental clarity).

How much are you taking per day?  Are you trying one or the other, or both together?  

Probably more useful if you posted in the NMN experiences, or the NAD boosters vs pure NAD thread

#20 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 04:29 PM

How much are you taking per day?  Are you trying one or the other, or both together?  

Probably more useful if you posted in the NMN experiences, or the NAD boosters vs pure NAD thread

I only use NAD+ at the moment. I am taking 1 scoop. Planning to add 1 more scoop. 

I posted there as well.

#21 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:25 PM

I only use NAD+ at the moment. I am taking 1 scoop. Planning to add 1 more scoop. 

I posted there as well.

Hasn't it been proven that taking NAD+ is useless VS precursors?

• Ill informed x 1
  • Agree x 1

#22 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2019 - 05:10 PM

Hasn't it been proven that taking NAD+ is useless VS precursors?

NAD+ is broken down in stomach more than NR  or NMN, so hasn't been used in capsules.

It has been used by IV quite a bit in research, and in humans in NAD+ IV clinics.

Alivebynature points out how Dr Brenner credits elevated blood NAD+ as the sole reason for the success in his latest research for nursing mothers, but says NAD+ IVs are impractical, whereas NR capsules are proven and safe.

So in this case, there is no issue of NAD being available, or able to cross the cell membrane - just raising NAD+ in the bloodstream is the goal.   It seems to me that a sublingual NAD+ would do the trick - likely  more efficiently than a NR or NMN capsule.

• Agree x 1

#23 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:18 PM

It seems to me that a sublingual NAD+ would do the trick - likely  more efficiently than a NR or NMN capsule.

I'd like a serious source of that, because I read everywhere that NAD bioavailability sucks.

And people reporting "an energy boost" from taking it doesn't mean anything AFAIK, could be explained via cofactors, placebo, etc.

It's not that I don't believe you or want to believe you, you can be right, I just need a good reason to think you are...

• Enjoying the show x 1
  • dislike x 1
  • Agree x 1

#24 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:34 PM

NAD+ seems to be fairly new for oral.  They have been selling NADH on amazon for several years and do have some research showing capsules is bioavailable, but perhaps more for the chewable tablets, which as far as I can tell are similar to sublingual but maybe don't dissolve as easily, so more is swallowed.

The Enada chewable tablets were tested and found effective in humans for depression, jet lag and such, but in general, NADH is the opposite of what you want for life extension and all the other things you want from NAD+ precursors.  I just include to show that NAD appears to be bioavailable. 

Some research:

In a blinded, placebo-controlled study, ten rats received placebo; and ten, NADH for ten weeks. Although systolic BP did not differ between the two groups over the first month, it decreased and stayed markedly lower for the remainder of study in SHR receiving oral NADH

In conclusion, the results suggest that NADH given orally or intraperitoneally increases the amounts of NADH in the brain. 

Individuals who received NADH performed significantly better on 4 cognitive test measures (P < or = .05) and reported less sleepiness compared with those who received placebo. No adverse effects were observed with NADH treatment. Stabilized NADH significantly reduced jet lag-induced negative cognitive effects and sleepiness, was easily administered, and was found to have no side effects.

Edited by able, 01 April 2019 - 07:36 PM.

• Ill informed x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#25 Jrausis

• Topic Starter
  • 19 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:26 AM

NAD+ seems to be fairly new for oral.  They have been selling NADH on amazon for several years and do have some research showing capsules is bioavailable, but perhaps more for the chewable tablets, which as far as I can tell are similar to sublingual but maybe don't dissolve as easily, so more is swallowed.

NADH is the reduced form and has to be recycled back to NAD+, therefore losing efficiency.

What would be the advantage of taking it?

Thanks for your help.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Agree x 1

#26 able

• 851 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 April 2019 - 02:43 AM

NADH is the reduced form and has to be recycled back to NAD+, therefore losing efficiency.

What would be the advantage of taking it?

Thanks for your help.

There isn't any advantage as far as I know.

It is just the only form that has been around long enough to have some human test data.

My question is, why did they go down the wrong  road with this 10 years ago?  I'm guessing it is easier/cheaper to produce, but am curious to know.

• Good Point x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users